Skyrocketing recruit from Paraguay has Brittney Griner height and a world of potential | The Boneyard

Skyrocketing recruit from Paraguay has Brittney Griner height and a world of potential

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Andrea Aquino looks up to 6-foot-9 WNBA star Brittney Griner. That's figuratively, not literally.

Aquino, a 6-9 junior center at Eastside (Paterson, New Jersey) via Paraguay, had a chance encounter with the Mercury star at a Phoenix airport in December 2015.

Griner was nice enough to pose for a photo with Aquino, who was visiting Phoenix to play in the prestigious Nike Tournament of Champions.

"I was in shock," said Aquino, who could barely keep it together at the thought of meeting her idol. "I had always asked God, 'Please, I wish I could meet her one day.'

"When I saw her, I said, 'No, this can't be.'

[LINK]

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sweet young lady. What makes this country so great. Keep up the hard work and she'll do just fine.

Reaction Score
Can she play? and are we seriously looking at her? What schools is she considering or is it too early

If you look in the recruiting thread you will see my comments on her......here's the short version............she runs the floor well, is an OK shot blocker for her size and has a decent outside shot.........a work in progress who will be at minimum an adequate post player for a DI program but not UConn material

Reaction Score
Gotta root for her - I'm from Paterson, and my parents went to Eastside High, long before it got bad like in the movie "Lean On Me"

Reaction Score
Would think it would be difficult for Geno to evaluate. Most VERY tall girls don't run hard in HS. I still remember Griner begging to be taken out at critical time of NCAA's because she was gassed.

Reaction Score
a PG year, alluded to in the article as a possibility, might be a terrific thing for her to develop her skills better. One very good thing is that she weighs 180 and probably has a stronger body than Griner did at that age.

Reaction Score
Would think it would be difficult for Geno to evaluate. Most VERY tall girls don't run hard in HS. I still remember Griner begging to be taken out at critical time of NCAA's because she was gassed.

Running is probably her best asset............her basketball IQ and interior offensive skill set needs improvement at this point............doubt that she would be a fit for the way UConn plays.............future Husky Charli Collier is on another planet skillwise when compared to Ms Aquino who is still quite new to basketball...................

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom