Skylark thoughtz(TM) | The Boneyard

Skylark thoughtz(TM)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Sloppy play overalll, especially early and late.
  2. Newton and Allyne looked good. Fast and active.
  3. Diarra a little sloppy with the ball at times, but I was more impressed with him than any of the other new guys.
  4. Adama is Adama.
  5. Tough to judge Clingan against a team with no big. His height advantage is so great, even when he's out of position and facing the wrong direction, against these scrubs, he's overwhelming.
  6. So far, not all that impressed with Karaban.
  7. Our guards in general did too much driving and getting stuck under the basket with 4 defenders. If there's 4 on you, you've gotta be able to find an open teammate or two.
  8. We gave up way too many boards.
  9. 20% from three is embarrassing.
  10. Is Hawk ging to have to go into concussion protocal?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Wild how you say Newton looked good when he didn’t have a field goal as our starting PG against a borderline D2 squad…. And also wasn’t impressed with Karaban who is a freshman and our second leading scorer tonight.

I don’t think Alleyne looked spectacular, but can see the potential impact he will have. Super impressed by Diarra.

I was surprised by how good and calm Karaban looked tonight after how underwhelming he was at the blue/white scrimmage.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
My fear is that Alleyne, Newton, and Diarra are all serviceable. They are not great. That is a problem.
They may only need to be serviceable when our three lead guys are Hawkins, Jackson and Sanogo.

But I agree that it would be much nicer if we had a traditional lead ball handling guard. Let’s give Newton some time though.

Reaction Score
  3. Diarra a little sloppy with the ball at times, but I was more impressed with him than any of the other new guys.
  4. Adama is Adama.
  5. Tough to judge Clingan against a team with no big. His height advantage is so great, even when he's out of position and facing the wrong direction, against these scrubs, he's overwhelming.
  7. Our guards in general did too much driving and getting stuck under the basket with 4 defenders. If there's 4 on you, you've gotta be able to find an open teammate or two.
Hurley said no protocol. I do not think he would have been allowed back to the bench if he exhibited symptoms,

Reaction Score
My fear is that Alleyne, Newton, and Diarra are all serviceable. They are not great. That is a problem.

I think that's only a real problem if we don't have AJ and Hawkins available. Once they are healthy, everyone looks better...or plays less.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
They may only need to be serviceable when our three lead guys are Hawkins, Jackson and Sanogo.

But I agree that it would be much nicer if we had a traditional lead ball handling guard. Let’s give Newton some time though.
Hawkins and Jackson are both injured. I hope both are back by PK85 or we are going to get whooped.

Reaction Score
karaban faked like he was coming off a screen and back-cut for a wide-open lay-up. he may even have done it a second time. in 5 years of watching tyler polley run off screens, i dunno if he ever pulled that off effectively. the kid is going to be really good.

Reaction Score
I was going to post the same exact reply in response to the same line.
Same with me when I read that in the OP. Weird take. I wish he would have hit a couple more of those open threes but you can just see how he has a high basketball IQ and will help out this season.

He understandably was also very nervous the first few minutes he was in there. My son, who knows Alex, texted me about how nervous he looked. It was good he got a lot of playing time tonight so he could get that out of his system.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
karaban faked like he was coming off a screen and back-cut for a wide-open lay-up. he may even have done it a second time. in 5 years of watching tyler polley run off screens, i dunno if he ever pulled that off effectively. the kid is going to be really good.

Can't teach that kind of IQ. I said years ago I thought he'd be a star at the college level, and I mean it. Reminds me of a less athletic Caron. Just a do-it-all high IQ player. Has that fluidity and ease to his game.

Edit: should add this based more on aau and hs play than a single game against stonehill

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Can't teach that kind of IQ. I said years ago I thought he'd be a star at the college level, and I mean it. Reminds me of a less athletic Caron. Just a do-it-all high IQ player.
I said a couple weeks ago that Sanogo and Karaban would be our two leading scorers and was laughed at, but even with Jackson and Hawkins coming back, I think my prediction will hold.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That cut and pass from newton was probably the play of the game. Great stuff from the new guys.

Reaction Score
  4. Adama is Adama.
Couldn’t disagree more about Karaban. Not sure what you were watching.

Reaction Score
Can't teach that kind of IQ. I said years ago I thought he'd be a star at the college level, and I mean it. Reminds me of a less athletic Caron. Just a do-it-all high IQ player. Has that fluidity and ease to his game.

Edit: should add this based more on aau and hs play than a single game against stonehill
Watching back, his passing in the middle against the zone was absolutely elite. All different plays and angles. We're going to destroy teams that zone us this year, which is great because that means they need to defend our bigs 1v1.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
[*]So far, not all that impressed with Karaban.
Yeah, I really wanted him to make all of his free throws, and 1 or 2 more threes, but I cut him some slack because he's still a teenager, and it was his first game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom