Sky @ Stars - 6/30/17 | The Boneyard

Sky @ Stars - 6/30/17

Reaction Score
Wow. They got rid of Currie to play the three guard system with Plum, MoJ and McBride.
This is going to be interesting

Reaction Score
They parted like the Red Sea. The Currie move means she is definitely getting more playing time.

Reaction Score
Strangely enough (or maybe not), Plum seems to be cutting into de Souza's minutes
9qt592L.jpg

Reaction Score
Looks like the Stars will finally get a win. Plum is getting more playing time. Will Vicky Johnson keep her job? (IDTS)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Currie traded to Phoenix. Wow!

Stars won their first. MoJeff had 13 points and 8 assists. She nailed a three in the last minute to give them a cushion.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Currie has got to be happy to move on from a 'rebuilding' team. But SA only got a couple of warm bodies in return it appears and wing/guard ones at that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As ESPN's Chris Berman used to say, The Stars finally got off the schnide. :D I'm happy for MO and her teammates.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am glad to see Monique Currie back with Phoenix...I wish they would get Candace Dupree back.

I am glad to hear San Antonio won a game. Well one bright spot...they will get the number 1 pick next season (maybe A'Ja Wilson).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm glad to see Mo back in the starting line-up;
appropriate for one of the best guards in the W.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Must be a relief for SA to finally get a win.

There was definitely some ole defense in that clip of Plum, but it was still nice to see her driving to the bucket and scooping it in, looks like her old self there. 7 points on 3-6 shooting isn't groundbreaking, but her best game in weeks. Hopefully she can start to gain some momentum.

edited--Sloot was pointing at her like "you got her"; Sloot was trying to cover a player spotted up on the 3 point line

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Speaking of Sloot, I feel kind of bad for her. The Sky went from being the best young up and coming team in the East to nothing much (actually last place in their conference currently). Didn't get equal value when Fowles and then EDD demanded to be traded.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I am glad to see Monique Currie back with Phoenix...I wish they would get Candace Dupree back.

I am glad to hear San Antonio won a game. Well one bright spot...they will get the number 1 pick next season (maybe A'Ja Wilson).

Dee, I share in your optimism. The possibility that they may get the first pick in next year's draft is the only bright spot for them so far this season. They're on pace to surpass their league leading worst record last year (7-27). They are almost half way through the season (15/34 games played), I'm not sure they would draft Wilson with their first pick. Wilson should be one of the first 3 players taken in next year's draft, and would be an asset to any organization. What team could not use a 6'5" AA post player, wearing an NCAA championship ring, ready to take her game to the next level?

They drafted a guard, Kelsey Plum that they really didn't need. They had other more urgent needs at other positions. Their starting center Jayne Appel-Marinelli retired after last season. I understand Plum's appeal at the time, but as a fan from a far, I think they could have gone in another direction. That over-sight may cost them down the road. So far, Plum's over-whelming college numbers and statistics have not carried over to the W. Right now I think it fair to say she under achieving.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Obviously Monique Currie was holding back the Stars :oops:

Dee, I share in your optimism. The possibility that they may get the first pick in next year's draft is the only bright spot for them so far this season. They're on pace to surpass their league leading worst record last year (7-27). They are almost half way through the season (15/34 games played), I'm not sure they would draft Wilson with their first pick. Wilson should be one of the first 3 players taken in next year's draft, and would be an asset to any organization. What team could not use a 6'5" AA post player, wearing an NCAA championship ring, ready to take her game to the next level?

They drafted a guard, Kelsey Plum that they really didn't need. They had other more urgent needs at other positions. Their starting center Jayne Appel-Marinelli retired after last season. I understand Plum's appeal at the time, but as a fan from a far, I think they could have gone in another direction. That over-sight may cost them down the road. So far, Plum's over-whelming college numbers and statistics have not carried over to the W. Right now I think it fair to say she under achieving.

Like I've said previously...they probably will draft Jordin Canada or Kelsey Mitchell :oops:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Obviously Monique Currie was holding back the Stars :oops:

Like I've said previously...they probably will draft Jordin Canada or Kelsey Mitchell :oops:

Triad, are you serious?? :eek: Those two will be first round draft picks for sure. If the Stars have the first pick in the 2018 WNBA draft, and it looks like they will (with 1 win so far, and the season almost at the halfway point, they've lapped the field in that race), you're saying that they would draft another guard in Canada or Mitchell instead of the most dominant post player in WCBB last season in All American (and FF MVP) 6'5" A'ja Wilson (South Carolina), who would would give them a much needed post presence similar to Sylvia Fowles in Minnesota for the next 10 years) ?!?

Wilson will not be the dominant player Fowles is coming in. It took BIG Syl 4+ years to get to the point she's at now, but in time, I think she can become very a good to very good player for whoever drafts her. As a few teams already knew, and were reminded again last season, there's no substitute for height, and a better than average post player. There are no guarantees in the W. I thought Brionna Jones (Maryland/Connecticut Sun) would be more of a impact player that she has been to date. She's buried on their bench averaging 5 minutes and 2 points a game.

The Stars are losing games because they can't stop anybody. They need players that can/will play some defense. They already have players that can score, they need some players that can get some stops on the other end of the floor. Wilson can help them do that better than Canada or Mitchell would. Everybody knows Mitchell does not play any defense. She'd score 20, and give up 30.

I commented last year after McBride went down, that the Stars were 3 players away from being competitive. They still are. The three players they need are not on this roster. Their current record (1-14) proves that.

Obviously the Stars overall draft philosophy did not pan out this year. Even with their leading scorer (Kayla McBride) back from last year's season ending injury, they are worse now than before she went down. Right now, the Stars are on pace to win 2 games this year. :confused:

I'm sorry Triad, I respect your opinion, but you're going to have to explain that one me again, and slowly. Because I don't see the Stars passing on Wilson if she's on the board when they're on the clock, and both Mitchell and Canada will be off the board when the Stars are on the clock in round 2. They screwed up this past draft. I can't see them going two for two. They had the worse record in the league last year (7-27). This year, they're going backwards. They won't win that many THIS year.

The Stars new GM, Ruth Riley has not ingratiated herself to her bosses, the owners or fans thus far. She can't botch this next draft. She has to get this one right, or she may find herself looking for another job. Head bang

Reaction Score
SA is a mess. I don't think anybody really thinks they wouldn't take Wilson - that was a joke based on this last draft. I suspect they didn't want Plum but couldn't get any deal they would want since Plum wasn't seen as a "cant miss" player. Now, of course, her stock has dropped more. Maybe the issue is in the front office not being able to work deals. When you see how much Dallas was able to improve compared to the Stars it is troubling. Kind of sad to see Moriah and McBride trying so hard with this team.

Reaction Score
Currie traded to Phoenix. Wow!

Stars won their first. MoJeff had 13 points and 8 assists. She nailed a three in the last minute to give them a cushion.

Wait....they traded Currie?? For who?? And why?? Besides Harrison she's been their best player

Reaction Score
Triad, are you serious?? :eek: Those two will be first round draft picks for sure. If the Stars have the first pick in the 2018 WNBA draft, and it looks like they will (with 1 win so far, and the season almost at the halfway point, they've lapped the field in that race), you're saying that they would draft another guard in Canada or Mitchell instead of the most dominant post player in WCBB last season in All American (and FF MVP) 6'5" A'ja Wilson (South Carolina), who would would give them a much needed post presence similar to Sylvia Fowles in Minnesota for the next 10 years) ?!?

Wilson will not be the dominant player Fowles is coming in. It took BIG Syl 4+ years to get to the point she's at now, but in time, I think she can become very a good to very good player for whoever drafts her. As a few teams already knew, and were reminded again last season, there's no substitute for height, and a better than average post player. There are no guarantees in the W. I thought Brionna Jones (Maryland/Connecticut Sun) would be more of a impact player that she has been to date. She's buried on their bench averaging 5 minutes and 2 points a game.

The Stars are losing games because they can't stop anybody. They need players that can/will play some defense. They already have players that can score, they need some players that can get some stops on the other end of the floor. Wilson can help them do that better than Canada or Mitchell would. Everybody knows Mitchell does not play any defense. She'd score 20, and give up 30.

I commented last year after McBride went down, that the Stars were 3 players away from being competitive. They still are. The three players they need are not on this roster. Their current record (1-14) proves that.

Obviously the Stars overall draft philosophy did not pan out this year. Even with their leading scorer (Kayla McBride) back from last year's season ending injury, they are worse now than before she went down. Right now, the Stars are on pace to win 2 games this year. :confused:

I'm sorry Triad, I respect your opinion, but you're going to have to explain that one me again, and slowly. Because I don't see the Stars passing on Wilson if she's on the board when they're on the clock, and both Mitchell and Canada will be off the board when the Stars are on the clock in round 2. They screwed up this past draft. I can't see them going two for two. They had the worse record in the league last year (7-27). This year, they're going backwards. They won't win that many THIS year.

The Stars new GM, Ruth Riley has not ingratiated herself to her bosses, the owners or fans thus far. She can't botch this next draft. She has to get this one right, or she may find herself looking for another job. Head bang

I think triad was being sarcastic. Point being....SA drafted Plum when they didn't need a guard so they would draft another guard that they don't need.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think triad was being sarcastic. Point being....SA drafted Plum when they didn't need a guard so they would draft another guard that they don't need.

Your explanation makes sense. If his remark was cloaked in sarcasm, it went right by me, thanks. :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I was being facetious.... I probably should have used this :rolleyes: or :p instead of :oops:.

Whats going to be interesting is what happens if Chicago gets the #1 pick. They already have Dolson, Boyette, Hunter, and Coates...... would they dare select Wilson? If the Stars dont end up with Wilson........ they perhaps they would take Williams from UCONN....

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was being facetious.... I probably should have used this :rolleyes: or :p instead of :oops:.

Whats going to be interesting is what happens if Chicago gets the #1 pick. They already have Dolson, Boyette, Hunter, and Coates. would they dare select Wilson? If the Stars dont end up with Wilson... they perhaps they would take Williams from UConn....

Geew1992 said: you were. You had me worried there for a minute. After I read it again knowing you weren't serious, it made sense. You're one one the more knowledgeable and logical comments here. When I read that, I thought we may have lost you. :eek:

Doesn't the team with the worst record always get the first pick in the WNBA?, or do they have a lottery drawing like the NBA? I don't pay attention to that part of the W's operation. Chicago is in the running. As of today, they're 3-12.

If the Sky gets the #1 pick, they could take A'ja Wilson, and then use the one of their other post players (Dolson - Boyette - Coates) as "trade tender" for whatever else they need, be it a draft pick or a seasoned player. There are several teams that could use a serviceable post player.

On the other hand, if there is someone else on the board they covet more than Wilson (Gabby Williams?), then they take that player. If the Sky does get the #1 pick, I'll bet THEY don't screw it up!!! Ruth Riley had better get this one right!!! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom