OT - Skip Holtz team has 35 points...at HT | The Boneyard

OT - Skip Holtz team has 35 points...at HT

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
35-24 over a good Western Kentucky team.

It becomes increasingly difficult to watch CFB games involving lower level conference teams that can score points at will, presumably with less talent than UConn should be able to attract.

Reaction Score
I wonder if you were a recruit at the level that UConn can attract would you: 1) want to go to to school like Florida State and sit the bench or conversely go to Tulsa (UConn) and get your kicked every year or 2) go to a lower level school where you can play and win?

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I wonder if you were a recruit at the level that UConn can attract would you: 1) want to go to to school like Florida State and sit the bench or conversely go to Tulsa (UConn) and get your kicked every year or 2) go to a lower level school where you can play and win?

First of all, UConn isn't attracting any legit 5 star guys who can play at the P5 level. Second, of the remaining crop of recruits, the ones UConn gets are no more than three star who could fall into the won't play at FSU category, but they're going to sign with either lower level P5 programs or top level G5. UConn gets a few of those.

Schools like LA Tech get the dregs of the leftover Louisiana recruits after LSU and every other P5 in the country have had their look at what LA has to offer. The leftovers trickle down to the lower level G5s like C-USA and LA Tech. Holtz just laid 55 points on the best team in his conference, snapping a 13 game conference winning streak with those dreg recruits. He's gotta be doing something really right on offense.

Reaction Score

Any kid who would pick a non-Ivy FCS or a Div. II over UConn given facilities, actual education, and post-graduate opportunities is, frankly, out of their freaking mind.

Reaction Score
Any kid who would pick a non-Ivy FCS or a Div. II over UConn given facilities, actual education, and post-graduate opportunities is, frankly, out of their freaking mind.

I wouldn't fault any kid that wants to go to North Dakota State and win national championships rather than be at a mid to low level FBS team.....then get drafted number 2 overall and start your rookie year

Reaction Score
I wouldn't fault any kid that wants to go to North Dakota State and win national championships rather than be at a mid to low level FBS team.....then get drafted number 2 overall and start your rookie year

Love Carson Wentz but think he's an outlier

Reaction Score
Love Carson Wentz but think he's an outlier

agree, but the national championships aren't

also, with technology these days, a player that stands out in the FCS division can be scouting just as much as someone who is part of a Kansas or Washington State or UConn

Reaction Score

It becomes increasingly difficult to watch CFB games involving lower level conference teams that can score points at will, presumably with less talent than UConn should be able to attract.
I respect your opinion, but disagree... Gimme the excitement of scoring plays at the CFB level. The game has evolved... It's even done so at the NFL level.... Vary rarely do you see games that are extremely low scoring ... Honestly, makes for boring football. With that said... UConn should be working to SCORE MORE POINTS... We've proven we can play defense.. We've been doing that since Edsall brought us into FBS football. Time to score some points now... It's annoying (embarrassing at times too) to see that our offense runs such conservative offensive sets/series at BIG moments in games... It makes us as fans expect a loss... How is that good for the morale of the program?

Reaction Score

Would you also like them to give up 52 points to WKU, or how how about 59 to a P5 school?

Playing 55-52 games in the Sun Belt is fun and all if you just want to go to a game and see a glorified scrimmage, but that is not something UConn should strive for.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Would you also like them to give up 52 points to WKU, or how how about 59 to a P5 school?

Playing 55-52 games in the Sun Belt is fun and all if you just want to go to a game and see a glorified scrimmage, but that is not something UConn should strive for.

LA Tech and WKU are in C-USA, not the Sun Belt, and I don't get why you would disparage a team that had won 13 straight conference games, but I guess your point is nobody wants to see high scoring games at UConn. We should prefer three yards and a cloud of dust on three straight plays, and then a punt.

In that case, we've got the right combination in place with Diaco/Verducci. The irony is that's a sure fire ticket to playing eventually in a conference like the Sun Belt. Since you indicated the games will be fun to watch, I can't wait.

Reaction Score
LA Tech and WKU are in C-USA, not the Sun Belt, and I don't get why you would disparage a team that had won 13 straight conference games, but I guess your point is nobody wants to see high scoring games at UConn. We should prefer three yards and a cloud of dust on three straight plays, and then a punt.

In that case, we've got the right combination in place with Diaco/Verducci. The irony is that's a sure fire ticket to playing eventually in a conference like the Sun Belt. Since you indicated the games will be fun to watch, I can't wait.
Not sure how you could completely miss my point but you did.

Reaction Score
Skippy's teams at UConn were all about the offense. Defense was an afterthought. It was maddening to followup at 42-35 win with a 38-35 loss. As a head coach he would make a great offensive coordinator.

Reaction Score
Skip believed the best way to win was to out score the opponent. He believed in defense but not that much.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm guessing nobody remembers that Skip had the HC job at USF for a few years.

It didn't work out for some reason.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Skippy's teams at UConn were all about the offense. Defense was an afterthought. It was maddening to followup at 42-35 win with a 38-35 loss. As a head coach he would make a great offensive coordinator.

I-AA teams don't get the speed players necessary to play solid defense, particularly laterally. They all give up a lot of points because they don't get to the edge fast enough. You have to be a high scoring team in I-AA to overcome your defensive deficiencies. The same problem exists in the lower echelons of I-A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom