SJU looks really good | The Boneyard

SJU looks really good

Reaction Score
I watched them beat Xavier last night and have to admit that I'm really impressed. They go all out for 40 minutes, Alexander reminds me of Khalid, and they appear to be really well coached. They're fun to watch, and the kind of team that can be a handful to deal with.

Reaction Score
SJU looks like a Tourney team to me...the BE could get 6 teams in the dance. On the other hand the only locks right now are Nova & Creighton......UConn, SH, X & SJU all need to get a few more wins to feel comfortable.

Reaction Score
I watched them beat Xavier last night and have to admit that I'm really impressed. They go all out for 40 minutes, Alexander reminds me of Khalid, and they appear to be really well coached. They're fun to watch, and the kind of team that can be a handful to deal with.
Yes, SJU is a tough team with great balance and chemistry. NYC playground type team and a hard out!

Reaction Score
SJU seems to be a tourney team. Mike Anderson's style of play has always been fun and it looks like they are gellling at the right time.

Reaction Score
I thought the SJU/XU game was one of those you score, we score, you score, we score games. Both teams pretty much got the shot they wanted on every possession. SJU just shot a little better.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard overreacted completely when we lost that game. They have the standard Big East toughness added on top of a really good offense.

Reaction Score
Why didn't we recruit Posh Alexander? I know he wasn't ranked that high but he was an absolutely athletic freak in high school and was built as hell. This team could really use a dynamic athlete like him at point guard. Our point guards struggle to beat anyone off the dribble.

Reaction Score
I like seeing StJ being good and i think it does nothing but help the BE. I was very impressed by how well coached they are when we played them. That program is headed in the right direction. They are a high level big away from being top 25.

Reaction Score
I wish we could get another shot at STJ. With Bouknight, I think we can beat them. Also, I would love to see Creighton again.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I wish we could get another shot at STJ. With Bouknight, I think we can beat them. Also, I would love to see Creighton again.
Perhaps in the BET ?

Reaction Score
We might see them both in the BET. Especially if we keep winning games in the tournament.

First Creighton game, Polley was out for Covid protocol. Next Creighton game, no Bouknight. STJ, no Bouknight.

Those games, Jackson either did not play or played sparingly, but I cannot recall which. He too, will be a factor going forward if we meet those teams in the BET.

Fully loaded, I like our chances. Let's not forget Akok bringing something to the table.

Great games I hope will happen.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, in November I stated that St John's would be a very tough team to play and all that received was snickers
Who's laughing now?
They beat UConn once in Storrs - beating them at their house is going to be difficult.
They are a tough match up for UConn because they press and we all have seen how UConn handles the press in the last few games. You need a point guard and I really don't see one wearing a UConn uniform this season. Bouk perhaps but it will wear him down.
I fear them more than Nova now

Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, in November I stated that St John's would be a very tough team to play and all that received was snickers
Who's laughing now?
They beat UConn once in Storrs - beating them at their house is going to be difficult.
They are a tough match up for UConn because they press and we all have seen how UConn handles the press in the last few games. You need a point guard and I really don't see one wearing a UConn uniform this season. Bouk perhaps but it will wear him down.
I fear them more than Nova now
Uconn will have to speed up the game to try to get ahead of their press.

When they start the press, have AJ be the one in the middle that the ball is thrown to. With his quick release, and precision passes, he should be able to find a cutter towards the basket or find Polley at the wing or Bouk anywhere. I think AJ with is the critical press breaker, more so for his passing potential, but also for his ability to dribble as a point forward.

More passes and less dribbling should help.

Martin can catch it in the middle and pass it off or drive.

Since Bouk is a driver, he can dribble up quickly for a shot or a drive to the basket. That is what he does anyway. Not saying he is the point guard per se, but his skill set facilitates getting in the open floor and not getting stuck in a slow half court offense.

Reaction Score
After hiring 3 unqualified people to be its head men’s bashelball coaches: the first with no D1 head coaching experience (Norm Robert), the second a TV announcer (Lavin), and then someone with absolutely no prior coaching experience (Mullin), St. John’s finally figured out that experience counts when it hired Coach Anderson.

Anderson is a very good men’s basketball coach. He has blended a group of 2* and 3* players into a very tough team.

I look forward to a healthy UConn vs. St. John rivalry.

Reaction Score
After hiring 3 unqualified people to be its head men’s bashelball coaches: the first with no D1 head coaching experience (Norm Robert), the second a TV announcer (Lavin), and then someone with absolutely no prior coaching experience (Mullin), St. John’s finally figured out that experience counts when it hired Coach Anderson.

Anderson is a very good men’s basketball coach. He has blended a group of 2* and 3* players into a very tough team.

I look forward to a healthy UConn vs. St. John rivalry.
Unpopular opinion, but I think Lavin is/was a decent coach, and if you look at his record at St John’s, its not that bad. He took them to the NCAA Tournament 2 of the 5 years he was there, with 2 trips to the NIT. During his 7 years at UCLA, he made at least the Sweet 16 in five of them. Is he a great coach? No, but there is a long list of coaches that are worse than Steve Lavin.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
You know who looks even better? USC. 7 wins in a row. Blew out ASU tonight. They’re now 18-3. That was a spectacular win for us.

Reaction Score
You know who looks even better? USC. 7 wins in a row. Blew out ASU tonight. They’re now 18-3. That was a spectacular win for us.
Btw, what happened with ASU? They were ranked in the top 20 in the preseason polls and now they're 4-7 in conference and 7-10 overall.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard overreacted completely when we lost that game. They have the standard Big East toughness added on top of a really good offense.
Yeah looking back many of us overreacted but that’s what fans in message boards do. We still should have won that game though. We were up and had a really bad collapse in the second half

Reaction Score
Yeah looking back many of us overreacted but that’s what fans in message boards do. We still should have won that game though. We were up and had a really bad collapse in the second half
Yes. This has always been the point. The loss was devastating because we outplayed them, and had a seemingly obvious path to finish off the W. Then Hurley inexplicably benched Sanogo, and the game slipped away. People who continue to say, "See?! St. John's is good! There turns out to be no reason to be upset about that loss!" are completely missing the point.

Reaction Score
St. John's is 8-7 in conference. Above .500 by a bit.

They seem to be able to lose to anybody or beat anybody.
Yeah and that seems to be the case with teams that play a great offense. Their games tend to be coin tosses because their defensive effort just drops when you focus so much on scoring

Reaction Score
I thought exactly the same thing with Posh and the KEA comparison -- both in terms of body type, play style, and personality. He was HS teammates with fellow freshman Addae-Wusu who seems like a great energy guy off the bench too.

Kinda surprised to see recruiting hasn't picked up yet though, they only have 2 3*'s coming in next year (also HS teammates).

They're definitely a team no one will want to face in the BET or in the NCAA if they get that far with the way they play. Good guard play, a walking bucket in Champagnie -- they could pick off a higher seed if things go their favor no doubt.

Reaction Score
Yes. This has always been the point. The loss was devastating because we outplayed them, and had a seemingly obvious path to finish off the W. Then Hurley inexplicably benched Sanogo, and the game slipped away. People who continue to say, "See?! St. John's is good! There turns out to be no reason to be upset about that loss!" are completely missing the point.
He seems to have learned from it and has played Sanogo consistently except when he was underperforming at the most recent PC game. Astutely, he subbed in Carlton, who did fine.

The key is to gauge a player's performance in a particular game. Hurley did not do so against STJ, but did so against PC.

On to Villanova.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom