SI's Biggest college hoops stories of '11 | The Boneyard

SI's Biggest college hoops stories of '11

Status
Not open for further replies.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Huh, I didn't realize Lamb was in the conversation for 1-and-done.
Yeah, sensationalist media used his improved performance over a span of 6-8 games to bring up the possibility of entering the draft as a late first rounder if I recall correctly

Reaction Score
Georgetown fans that named the Reggie Williams 1987 Final Four team as Reggie and the Miracles are probably fuming over that title

Reaction Score
I heard Lamb was not going to get past the Knicks if he entered last year's draft. It was also reported the Jeremy and his father gave it serious consideration.

Reaction Score
TOS did the same thing with top 5 stories, and not only were "Kemba and the Miracles" not the #1 story they were grouped together with the whole big east...ummm Uconn WAS (is) the big east last year (much like most years)

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I heard Lamb was not going to get past the Knicks if he entered last year's draft. It was also reported the Jeremy and his father gave it serious consideration.
Not surprised. That kid's got a fuked up ego

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Georgetown fans that named the Reggie Williams 1987 Final Four team as Reggie and the Miracles are probably fuming over that title

They didn't get it done. Ef 'em.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Seriously?
I've posted this little anecdote before, but here goes since you either missed it or don't remember (assuming you're not being sarcastic)

My buddy went to one of the bars one night. Was probably Thirsty because JL always gets in there for free and I don't think they card him no matter what (unless he was somehow 21 when we won the NC). Anyway he was there with his girlfriend and saw JL there and decided to talk to him, so he introduced himself and his girlfriend. Shortly after their conversation began, JL pulled the guy aside and told him that "[JL] isn't the type of guy you want to introduce your girlfriend to."

I mean if that doesn't scream messed up ego I dunno what does.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I've posted this little anecdote before, but here goes since you either missed it or don't remember (assuming you're not being sarcastic)

My buddy went to one of the bars one night. Was probably Thirsty because JL always gets in there for free and I don't think they card him no matter what (unless he was somehow 21 when we won the NC). Anyway he was there with his girlfriend and saw JL there and decided to talk to him, so he introduced himself and his girlfriend. Shortly after their conversation began, JL pulled the guy aside and told him that "[JL] isn't the type of guy you want to introduce your girlfriend to."

Your narrative has me confused. Jeremy Lamb pulled him aside and then refered to himself in the third person as someone you don't want to introduce your GF to?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
No I just didn't want to say "he" in a way that might confuse some people. He went up to my buddy and said "I'm not the guy you want to introduce your girlfriend to" to make it as clear as possible.

Imagine if he actually referred to himself in the third person.

Reaction Score
Not surprised. That kid's got a fuked up ego

Even assuming your story is true, I don't see how thinking about entering the draft screams "ego". It is probably for the better that he decided to return, but I don't think anyone would have blamed him if he had jumped for the millions.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Even assuming your story is true, I don't see how thinking about entering the draft screams "ego". It is probably for the better that he decided to return, but I don't think anyone would have blamed him if he had jumped for the millions.
I think someone who would say something like that has the idea that "yeah I'm awesome enough to enter the draft after one season." I mean he played great, but still

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
No I just didn't want to say "he" in a way that might confuse some people. He went up to my buddy and said "I'm not the guy you want to introduce your girlfriend to" to make it as clear as possible.

Imagine if he actually referred to himself in the third person.
OK - I now understand your story. First off, it's third person so you have to take some of it with a grain of salt. 2nd, maybe he's just being honest. I wouldn't doubt for a second if women throw themself at JL being that he's a stud basketball player on a national championship team and he's likely to be worth millions in a year or so.

I really don't think that is enough evidence to say he's got a twisted ego. Sometimes the truth is just what it is.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Are you seriously trying to defend what JL said?

Dude, maybe you ought to throw yourself at him or something because I dunno what kind of person says to a guy to his face that his relationship is not safe as long as he is in the same venue. Other than someone with a messed up ego, of course. He can be as big a stud as he wants, and let as many drunk college chicks throw themselves at him as he wants, but he should at least keep his pathetic arrogance to himself. What is the rationale behind saying something like that? Giving the guy a fair warning? Bullsh!t.

I mean if you were at a bar with your girlfriend/wife/whatever, and see JL and spark up a friendly conversation with him, and he goes and says something like that to your face, are you going to think "wow, he was being super honest to me just now!"? I would think you would be a bit closer to knocking him in the mouth if anything.

Reaction Score
Maybe that's his go-to move when he doesn't want people to strike up conversations with him. :D

Reaction Score
I think someone who would say something like that has the idea that "yeah I'm awesome enough to enter the draft after one season." I mean he played great, but still

It isn't that he thought he was awesome enough to enter the draft, it's that people adviced him to enter the draft. If you are projected to go in the mid first round, it is at least something you have to consider IMO.

Reaction Score
Maybe that's his go-to move when he doesn't want people to strike up conversations with him. :D

Yeah, not to defend what Jeremy did in this instance, but I can kind of see how it would be difficult to have a bunch of different people trying to talk to you at once. Of course, in a public setting you're going to have people try to talk to you, but I'm sure we've all been in situations where we don't really want to start a conversation. It is possible he didn't want to talk and simply reacted poorly.

I can see how you would get a bad impression of the guy if that did indeed happen, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to judge his ego or character based on this one instance. I'm sure we've all said stuff and then quickly thought, "Wow, I probably sound like a huge dick". While one person may have had a positive experience with Jeremy, this guy may have come away wanting to fight him. The bottom line is that as much as we love the way these kids play, and handle themselves publicly, none of us really know what kind of people they are off the court.

Reaction Score
JL being able to bed any girl in Storrs just missed the cut for the top 11 basketball stories of the year.

Is that what I am to take from this stupidly hijacked thread?

Reaction Score
Practically every basketball star has a big ego (starting in jr high school). Its neither bad or good, its just a fact not worth discussing.

I thought this thread was about top stories? UConn in Maui to me should have made the list.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
A little anecdote from a user on a message board about one of his friends' conversations with a player.

Sorry, I don't believe everything I read on the internet.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Phew ... thanks for that clarification. I thought you were just pulling the ego thing out of your ass. Let us know if your buddy has any other updates.

Thanks.

Also, I prefer my "top-whatever" lists in descending order.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Are you seriously trying to defend what JL said?

Dude, maybe you ought to throw yourself at him or something because I dunno what kind of person says to a guy to his face that his relationship is not safe as long as he is in the same venue. Other than someone with a messed up ego, of course. He can be as big a stud as he wants, and let as many drunk college chicks throw themselves at him as he wants, but he should at least keep his pathetic arrogance to himself. What is the rationale behind saying something like that? Giving the guy a fair warning? Bullsh!t.

I mean if you were at a bar with your girlfriend/wife/whatever, and see JL and spark up a friendly conversation with him, and he goes and says something like that to your face, are you going to think "wow, he was being super honest to me just now!"? I would think you would be a bit closer to knocking him in the mouth if anything.
I did read your post in the other thread and pretty much had the same thought I had this time. My first response still fits:

Seriously?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

You are a rat and in total violation of man laws. Where is that ignore feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom