Since when were we OK with moral victories? | The Boneyard

Since when were we OK with moral victories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand we've been short handed down low all year but this game had nothing to do with that. I applaud the effort but the end of game execution has to get better.

caw

Reaction Score
I understand we've been short handed down low all year but this game had nothing to do with that. I applaud the effort but the end of game execution has to get better.

Closer = Napier. Napier = injured. Is it really that hard to figure out.

Reaction Score

Yeah, it does. We haven't been great at getting good shots on big possessions.

But tonight Bazz was probably 50 percent in the second half and OT, Omar has a sprained wrist, and DD was running on fumes at times - not sure he ever sat down (and he had to wrestle with guys in the low post for good chunks of the game). Not only were we short some hands, the ones we do have were missing fingers.

We had it. Just needed one stop out of three. DD had his hands down (perhaps a fatigued moment), Bazz helped at the foul line when he shouldn't have (perhaps a brain fart), and we didn't stop the ball (perhaps another fatigued moment). 8-0 run and a rough L.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about the moral victory idea earlier. I highly doubt KO would give them that speech but if there ever was a game, in a year like this year, tonight's game would call for it.

They had no business coming back like they did tonight, except that they are a special group. From a fan's point of view they get the moral victory.

Reaction Score
So UConn is OK with moral victories? The series ends like it began . . . The big, bad Hoyas coming in and beating a game, but undermanned UConn team on their home court. And to think ther ever was a point - 2000 or 2002- when UConn getting played close by G Town was the exception. UConn was the Beast of the East and the sky was the limit. Now? Five more years of penalties (the NCAA reassigned Penn State's to the Huskies), 3 fewer scholarships with no more than four for the entire roster (Nate Miles may have driven through Connecticut over the holidays and two players from the 1957 teams got C's or worse on their transcripts).

Needed to beat GTown (their personal to the NCAA).

Reaction Score
there is no moral victory in that locker room. The team is probably doing suicides as we speak...

ten toes in

Reaction Score
So UConn is OK with moral victories? The series ends like it began . . . The big, bad Hoyas coming in and beating a game, but undermanned UConn team on their home court. And to think ther ever was a point - 2000 or 2002- when UConn getting played close by G Town was the exception. UConn was the Beast of the East and the sky was the limit. Now? Five more years of penalties (the NCAA reassigned Penn State's to the Huskies), 3 fewer scholarships with no more than four for the entire roster (Nate Miles may have driven through Connecticut over the holidays and two players from the 1957 teams got C's or worse on their transcripts).

Not exactly. The series ends with them looking at three banners on the way out.

There's some truth to what you're saying, but college sports needs context. It tends to be cyclical. Some years, you're young, or have injury problems, and you know you don't have a vintage team. We didn't take moral victories last year when we had the talent and experience to be a lot better than we were. This year, we had an exodus and have no seniors (RJ notwithstanding). We've exceeded expectations, and don't have the horses to pull out every close one, especially when our best horse has a bum hoof.

Reaction Score

Is this a joke post?

Reaction Score
Not exactly. The series ends with them looking at three banners on the way out.

There's some truth to what you're saying, but college sports needs context. It tends to be cyclical. Some years, you're young, or have injury problems, and you know you don't have a vintage team. We didn't take moral victories last year when we had the talent and experience to be a lot better than we were. This year, we had an exodus and have no
seniors (RJ notwithstanding). We've exceeded expectations, and don't have the horses to pull out every close one, especially when our best horse has a bum hoof.

You're right. Unfortunately this is just a bad time for Huskynation with all this conference realignment bull crap and the ridiculously harsh NCAA mens hoops penalties.

A win tonight was a huge to the NCAA and the Big East for the bans and a big to the NCAA for not stopping the destruction of a great program with conference shuffling. Tonights game was huge.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm not happy with any loss

but I'm just getting more and more excited about next year

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This team is amazing. How many games have they won when statistically they had no business being close? Fact is, every team we played this year realistically had more at stake than us and a bunch of them had more talent. If there ever is year when people can simply enjoy and appreciate a team and just be entertained (that's what spec sports are kinda supposed to be ) this is it. Almost as tough minded as the 99 NC team, which was probably the toughest team we've ever had. Moral victory, tough loss, personally, I don't care. Ws and Ls get this team nowhere. It is fair to want to see players grow, and these guys sure don't shy from crunch time. If RB has some flaws, he's also carried the team at times, and at least his mistakes are aggressive. Hopefully another year will improve there. I'll be sad to see this season end no matter what happens the next few games.

Reaction Score
Since the second Calhoun stepped down UConn fans have been ok with moral victories, in fact have looked for them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Since the second Calhoun stepped down UConn fans have been ok with moral victories, in fact have looked for them.
It took me a while, but I think I finally figured out that you, Waquit and Palatine all live on the same island. Or maybe you are all the same person. The only question left is: What did you guys do with Huskymaniac?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Some of you guys are insufferable.

3 National Titles since 1999. Let that sink in and realize how spoiled you are to just expect championships every season.

We are transitioning from a Hall of Fame coach to a new comer - a true UConn man but a newcomer.

We lost 4/6 leading scorers and our banned from every tournament.

So, no, moral victories, youre right.

How about recognizing the effort and heart these kids showed last night instead of being a typical UConn fan who expects everything to be served on a silver platter.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I missed the memo that limited the choices for describing disappointing losses to either a "choke" or a "moral victory." Neither would be my choice here. It was a disappointing loss after a great effort. Period. I'm sure no one is more upset about it than the players, and I would bet that neither they nor KO consider it any type of victory whatsoever. They never questioned for a second whether they could beat Georgetown, and they expected to win.

The being spewed from the island of misfit toys says more about the intractable and miserable problems of its inhabitants than anything else.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is happy with moral victories, but find me an undefeated team out there. There are none. Losing is part of the game, how you lose is what matters. So if we have to lose, I'll take last night's every time. The team had nothing left, leaving it all on the court. Ain't no shame losing to a top 10 team, with an All American, that didn't lose a game all month. This team fought to the end, so you can call last night a victorious loss.

By the way,, any loss where you don't have to hang your head is a good loss.

Reaction Score

Actually, there have been quite a few real victories this year - 19 in fact. Which is already one more than last year's team had in the regular season.

You just don't come around here much after those.

Reaction Score
I missed the memo that limited the choices for describing disappointing losses to either a "choke" or a "moral victory." Neither would be my choice here. It was a disappointing loss after a great effort. Period. I'm sure no one is more upset about it than the players, and I would bet that neither they nor KO consider it any type of victory whatsoever. They never questioned for a second whether they could beat Georgetown, and they expected to win.

The being spewed from the island of misfit toys says more about the intractable and miserable problems of its inhabitants than anything else.

Thank you. But everything having to be "we suck" or "everything is great" is hardly new to the response to last night's game.

Last night, we didn't close on a game that we had. And we had no business being in a position where we "had it" in the first place. But for letting two games we had won turn into losses, we would be alone in first place in the Big East. We had/have no business having been that close to a conference championship. But it was there for the taking and we fell short. Those are both true, and important, statements.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thank you. But everything having to be "we suck" or "everything is great" is hardly new to the response to last night's game.

Last night, we didn't close on a game that we had. And we had no business being in a position where we "had it" in the first place. But for letting two games we had won turn into losses, we would be alone in first place in the Big East. We had/have no business having been that close to a conference championship. But it was there for the taking and we fell short. Those are both true, and important, statements.
Yes they are both true and important statements. I'll add one more. There are fans that are great and there are fans that suck, and there are fans that are both great and suck at the same time. I don't know about anyone else but I'm a great fan and everyone can suck my nut s*ck if they disagree.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry that you feel that way, the only thing there is to say, every silver lining has a touch of grey.

caw

Reaction Score
Since the second Calhoun stepped down the NCAAT and BET bans were confirmed UConn fans have been ok with moral victories this year, in fact have looked for them.

Fixed.

Reaction Score
2012-13 has to be one of the most fun UConn teams to watch....EVER. With one of the weakest rosters we've had in years, this team gives it 100% every night with nothing to play for. So I still get upset when we lose games like last night but if you told me back in August we would be in every game with some big wins ('Cuse/MSU) I wouldn't believe it. The truth is KO should be the NATIONAL COY, not just Big East. He has exceeded the lofty UConn expectations. Can you really say Jim Calhoun could have gotten more out of this roster this season?

So I'm not happy with a the G'Town loss but with the big picture I'm glad we can expect to win games like this given what has happened to this program the past 12 months. And as a side note, I wish we would have self-imposed a postseason ban last year so we could have a run with this team. With their heart, they deserve it more than Lamb/Dre & crew. On top of that, what 2/3 seed would want to see this team in the round of 32?

Reaction Score
A loss is a loss.

My point is the jackasses who jump all over the team after a game like last have zero perspective.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Moral victories became ok when we got banned from the tourney, half our roster jumped ship, the HOF head coach retired and our team was picked to win like 4 BE games and finish 12th (?).

I'd rather have won, but in a season like this, without a postseason to play for, I don't mind settling for losing tight ones but learning what it takes to win and developing together as a team. All the games this year are exhibitions. As long as the team makes these strides that's all I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom