Since HCRE left for Terpland... | The Boneyard

Since HCRE left for Terpland...

Reaction Score
It's been a slippery slope:
-Jeff Hathaway didn't listen to donors & brought in P.P. Met the man twice, seemed like a nice guy. Clearly had no desire to recruit. Other more viable candidates were available. I was a Mike Leach proponent-others on the 'Yard deemed him too toxic. In retrospect, Leach's style of offense is what puts & keeps fannies in the seats, AND actually wins games on a consistant basis. Team's lackluster performance after the Fiesta Bowl victory costs UConn a spot in the ACC after the Terps scurry to the B1G. I'm STILL convinced that had UCONN made the correct coaching hire,& said coach continued the winning tradition of Big East UConn, The Huskies resume would have been TOO great for the ACC to chhose Louisville.
-Bobby Redpants hired: Said all the right things at his introductory press conference, THEN the paranoia sets in: Conflict trophy, recruiting tight end flavor of the week, press conferences after 30-40 point losses saying that if 1 or 2 plays went as scripted UConn would have won the game. Dave Benedict was correct to give him the Christmas present of showing him the door.
-HCRE version II: When he was rehired, I was stunned. Part of me couldn't forgive him for pulling the Robert Irsay skulk out of Baltimore in the dead of night move (Yeah, I'm THAT old). Again, he said all the right things at his press conference: He wanted to repair the program to protect his legacy. Benedict actually helped him that first year by hiring Lashlee as O.C.
While the product on the field was inconsistant that first year, it was entertaining football. End of season, Lashlee leaves. (I'm not getting into THAT debate-see other threads). Randy declares that Diaco's recruits aren't up to snuff & sets fire to the 2018 season by playing true freshmen for experience, burning red shirts throughout the roster. He is on his 3rd offensive coordinator (in name only) in 3 years, but we all know who is actually calling the final shots. There's also a new game in town: quarterback Russian Roulette! AND, the Huskies are running a 20th Century style offense in the 21st Century while the defense makes the oppostion's offense look lake a runaway freight train.

Now let's add the decision to go independent in football into the mix: As of today, UConn's schedule contains 4 games.
The program is in limbo: No announcement has been made about televising games, via SNY, Fox, ESPN, video streaming etc. Attendance is lower than UConn's Memorial Stadium FCS incarnation: The students aren't showing up after being harressed with new University restrictions. Parking attendents in Blue Lot STILL are trying to park cars as if the RENT is sold out & harrassing those season ticket holders that are STILL attending games.

I don't want UCONN to pull the plug on FBS football:
-I've invested too much over the years
-I like watching FBS level games in person
-If UConn descends back to FCS level OR (shudder the thought) disbands the program entirely, it seriously damages the University's reputation & further reinforces the notion of the University & the State as "minor league" in the eyes of the general public & possible future students.

As to HCRE's future with this team:
I don't envy the decision that David Benedict has to make if this travesty continues, but he must be consistant.
Diaco got delusional with his excuses & Randy is beginning to do the same in his weekly press conferences.
Football is constantly evolving, but Randy seems immune to change. Will he be able to keep up team morale & actully get some victories in those games that are generally considered winable?
If, at the end of the season, progress hasn't been made in effort & wins, Then Benedict has no choice. He has to extend the same holiday greetings that he gave Diaco. He then has to hire a charasmatic & offensive minded known commodity
(e.g. Lashlee or someone of that ilk) to reignite excitement among fans. The decision MUST be made quickly if its necessary. A new coach has to quickly assess the returning talent on the roster & how it meshes with his coaching philosophy. Likewise he has to evaluate Randy's incoming recruits for the same purpose. AND, he has to hire a staff.

The turmoil has to STOP. It's all on Benedict's shoulders. Other schools have made successful turnarounds with the correct
hires. The travesty on the playing field is inextusable. If Benedict dallies, then UConn''s new president has to start shopping for a new A.D.

Reaction Score
-Jeff Hathaway didn't listen to donors & brought in P.P. Met the man twice, seemed like a nice guy. Clearly had no desire to recruit. Other more viable candidates were available. I was a Mike Leach proponent-others on the 'Yard deemed him too toxic. In retrospect, Leach's style of offense is what puts & keeps fannies in the seats, AND actually wins games on a consistant basis. Team's lackluster performance after the Fiesta Bowl victory costs UConn a spot in the ACC after the Terps scurry to the B1G. I'm STILL convinced that had UCONN made the correct coaching hire,& said coach continued the winning tradition of Big East UConn, The Huskies resume would have been TOO great for the ACC to chhose Louisville.
-Bobby Redpants hired: Said all the right things at his introductory press conference, THEN the paranoia sets in: Conflict trophy, recruiting tight end flavor of the week, press conferences after 30-40 point losses saying that if 1 or 2 plays went as scripted UConn would have won the game. Dave Benedict was correct to give him the Christmas present of showing him the door.
-HCRE version II: When he was rehired, I was stunned. Part of me couldn't forgive him for pulling the Robert Irsay skulk out of Baltimore in the dead of night move (Yeah, I'm THAT old). Again, he said all the right things at his press conference: He wanted to repair the program to protect his legacy. Benedict actually helped him that first year by hiring Lashlee as O.C.
While the product on the field was inconsistant that first year, it was entertaining football. End of season, Lashlee leaves. (I'm not getting into THAT debate-see other threads). Randy declares that Diaco's recruits aren't up to snuff & sets fire to the 2018 season by playing true freshmen for experience, burning red shirts throughout the roster. He is on his 3rd offensive coordinator (in name only) in 3 years, but we all know who is actually calling the final shots. There's also a new game in town: quarterback Russian Roulette! AND, the Huskies are running a 20th Century style offense in the 21st Century while the defense makes the oppostion's offense look lake a runaway freight train.

Now let's add the decision to go independent in football into the mix: As of today, UConn's schedule contains 4 games.
The program is in limbo: No announcement has been made about televising games, via SNY, Fox, ESPN, video streaming etc. Attendance is lower than UConn's Memorial Stadium FCS incarnation: The students aren't showing up after being harressed with new University restrictions. Parking attendents in Blue Lot STILL are trying to park cars as if the RENT is sold out & harrassing those season ticket holders that are STILL attending games.

-If UConn descends back to FCS level OR (shudder the thought) disbands the program entirely, it seriously damages the University's reputation & further reinforces the notion of the University & the State as "minor league" in the eyes of the general public & possible future students.

I don't envy the decision that David Benedict has to make if this travesty continues, but he must be consistant.
Diaco got delusional with his excuses & Randy is beginning to do the same in his weekly press conferences.
Football is constantly evolving, but Randy seems immune to change. Will he be able to keep up team morale & actully get some victories in those games that are generally considered winable?
If, at the end of the season, progress hasn't been made in effort & wins, Then Benedict has no choice. He has to extend the same holiday greetings that he gave Diaco. He then has to hire a charasmatic & offensive minded known commodity
(e.g. Lashlee or someone of that ilk) to reignite excitement among fans. The decision MUST be made quickly if its necessary. A new coach has to quickly assess the returning talent on the roster & how it meshes with his coaching philosophy. Likewise he has to evaluate Randy's incoming recruits for the same purpose. AND, he has to hire a staff.

The turmoil has to STOP. It's all on Benedict's shoulders. Other schools have made successful turnarounds with the correct
hires. The travesty on the playing field is inextusable. If Benedict dallies, then UConn''s new president has to start shopping for a new A.D.
Great assessment of reality.

Reaction Score

Very accurate post as to the recent history of our football program and its current status.

Reaction Score

The new Prez should start searching for a new AD anyway.

Reaction Score
I am beginning to think David Benedict is part of the problem. I still don't understand why we hired Edsall back after he failed miserably with the Terps. He was not the right coach back then, and he isn't the right coach now.
This crap show has to stop. I truly believe UCONN can field a competitive football team. Is South Dakota State can, UCONN can. It is inexcusable how bad this team is on both sides of the ball. Just fire everyone and hire the entire staff from SDSU. At this stage, I would settle for the entire Villanova football staff to replace this incompetent bunch.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Randy is the slow burn program builder. Everything DB says is that this is going to take a while. When I first heard him say that I thought he was underselling the team this year. He wasn't. I feel AD David Benedict has RE in this for the next 2 years and then the assessments will be made. In the interim, here is what AD David Benedict can do to help RE turn this thing around quicker:

1) Increase assistant coaching pool by $750,000. That way RE can hire some experienced Assistants and even more assistants to help the players improve. I am not sure why Randy didn't bring back Mike Foley - but that would go a long way as Giufre doing both jobs has hurt the OL development.
2) Go to admissions and lower the damn requirements for 5 kids a year in the program so we can get some talented kids we normally couldn't offer or get.
3) Create a buzz around the program. Update us on future opponents, work on getting the university to make the student experience better and most importantly, tell RE to stop the shenanigans of participation rosters and no injury updates. We need full disclosure to get the fans back, the writers to write positive articles, etc.

No surprise here- I still think this will get turned around but am disappointed in the play this year of the D, O line and QB's. the youth on D is still shocking but by next year, they will be experienced and the growth will be there physically to play up another level. The O line, to me is coaching and ownership by the kids. Too many missed blocks blow up plays and we can't spring anyone due to lack of downfield blocking. Last night I watched the greatest show on turf stalled(the Kansas City Chief offense) (with a great play caller and amazing QB) due to the O line being destroyed by the Colts D. The same is happening here where Giufre is limited in what he can do because the O line hasn't figured it out. That goes for the QB's as well - they are limited and that limits the OC and what he can call.

I am stoked for the best set of WR's we have had in a long while and the upside on some young guys on the D side of the ball. The D line is a year away from doing damage and there are enough bodies in the D backfield to put some good numbers up.

Bottom line, this isn't all on Randy to fix and he needs help from AD David Benedict, donors, fans, etc. But AD David Benedict needs to push first.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I get it but, any move AD Dave makes in from a position of ultimate weakness until we show that we can put a schedule and TV contract on the table. Do that, and you can start talking about the football side of football.

Any guy they get now that would take the job and start over, isn't going to be in demand. So unless Dave's mailman is some coaching savant, I am willing to bear it with Randy until the end of 2021. We don't really have a choice at the moment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I am beginning to think David Benedict is part of the problem. I still don't understand why we hired Edsall back after he failed miserably with the Terps.
The reason why was explained 3 years ago and most were good with it. I went to that intro presser and it was nothing but smiles and good feelings. Anyone who had called this result at the time was a "hater".

Reaction Score
I've been saying this over and over again. UConn is a development program as we do not get 4 and 5 star recruits. As a development program, kids have to redshirt and stay in the program for 5 years. For UConn to be consistently competitive, we need 14 to 17 R-Srs on the team who have been developed by the team over 5 years. This year, we have 1. For example, on the D-line, we have 1 junior and the rest are younger. As a development program, UConn is not going to have a good D-line with that much youth.

Finally, here is what I think will happen with football in 2020. Since no new games have been announced for 2020 and there has been no word on the NCAA waiver for the AAC to hold a championship game with 11 teams in 2020 (wouldn't have happened by now anyway), I have to believe that UConn is hoping to play football in the AAC next year. It is actually a win/win for both sides. Also, it seems UConn is playing nice with teams in the AAC talking about scheduling future games in men's and women's basketball and football to keep schools on their side.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I've been saying this over and over again. UConn is a development program as we do not get 4 and 5 star recruits. As a development program, kids have to redshirt and stay in the program for 5 years. For UConn to be consistently competitive, we need 14 to 17 R-Srs on the team who have been developed by the team over 5 years. This year, we have 1. For example, on the D-line, we have 1 junior and the rest are younger. As a development program, UConn is not going to have a good D-line with that much youth.

Finally, here is what I think will happen with football in 2020. Since no new games have been announced for 2020 and there has been no word on the NCAA waiver for the AAC to hold a championship game with 11 teams in 2020 (wouldn't have happened by now anyway), I have to believe that UConn is hoping to play football in the AAC next year. It is actually a win/win for both sides. Also, it seems UConn is playing nice with teams in the AAC talking about scheduling future games in men's and women's basketball and football to keep schools on their side.
I do believe most teams in the AAC will have a hole in the schedule next year that is most easily filled by playing us.

Reaction Score
I do believe most teams in the AAC will have a hole in the schedule next year that is most easily filled by playing us.
I don’t know if it will be a full AAC schedule (there could be a few schools who could opt out for another opportunity) but I posted this in the “Independent Scheduling”thread this morning. It sheds some light on what’s happening w/ the AAC and one factor that may be delaying the release of the UConn future schedule.
Interesting comment (and possible insight as to timing of future schedule release).

From a OwlsDaily conversation w/ Temple AD Pat Kraft and AAC Associate Commissioner Scott Draper.

>>“We publish our schedule in February, so we’ve got some time,” Draper said. “We’ve got a meeting with our athletic directors in November where we’ll lay out and make decisions at that time. Since [UConn’s announcement], we’ve done some work, but we haven’t gathered as a group, the entire AD group, to go through it all.”<<

>>Beyond the team rotation, Kraft noted that an 11-member league will typically feature five conference games on weekends in October and November. So there will always be one team either needing a non-conference game or getting a bye week.

And since a bye week is considered such a competitive advantage in that team’s next game, especially late in the season, the AAC is going to need to find some late-season non-conference opponents. Those are hard to come by since every other FBS league is busy with conference play in November.

That’s where UConn and other independent teams or FCS teams might come in handy.

Kraft said that Temple and UConn are mutually interested in continuing their football and men’s basketball series beyond UConn’s departure from the AAC. But nothing will be finalized until the league settles on its scheduling formula – and the available November dates become more clear.<<

Reaction Score
I don’t know if it will be a full AAC schedule (there could be a few schools who could opt out for another opportunity) but I posted this in the “Independent Scheduling”thread this morning. It sheds some light on what’s happening w/ the AAC and one factor that may be delaying the release of the UConn future schedule.
That is a possibility, but AAC teams would have to drop existing out of conference games to make the AAC schedule work.

I think it all comes down to the waiver and we know how slow the NCAA is as they did not react quickly to the Big 12's request to hold a championship with 10 teams. Without a conference championship game, I think the AAC would not get a good shot at a NY6 bowl and you can forget the playoffs (which is probably a mute point as the G5 will not play in the playoff). And, losing the championship game would cost the AAC some money as that is one of their most valuable TV assets.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but the one that failed at his (Dream Job) should not be given a 2nd chance with the team he ditched.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Imagine the possibilities of a Mike Leach / Tim Boyle or Casey Cochran offense...

Reaction Score
-Jeff Hathaway didn't listen to donors & brought in P.P. Met the man twice, seemed like a nice guy. Clearly had no desire to recruit. Other more viable candidates were available. I was a Mike Leach proponent-others on the 'Yard deemed him too toxic. In retrospect, Leach's style of offense is what puts & keeps fannies in the seats, AND actually wins games on a consistant basis.

Besides being considered toxic, many fans at that time had no interest in anybody who they thought could be using UConn as a stepping stone which was a very bad take. Seemed like Hathaway had a pretty similar take.

Reaction Score
Whipple was supposed to be hired but I remember he wanted his own staff and PP would keep current staff.

Reaction Score
I think we are reading way too much into all this. There are plenty of non p5 programs that Have far inferior facilities, have lesser paid coaches, lesser star players and much smaller athletic department budgets that maintain respectability are competitive. We need to stop comparing ourselves to programs that have 4 star players, higher head coaching salaries and are in the AAC /P5 and ask the basic question of why with what we do have for facilities and funding we can’t even reach the level of a Buffalo, Toledo or App State. Or even central, western and eastern Michigan who have up and down years. Why are we consistently terrible even though other schools do more with less?

Reaction Score

Having Susan as your president hurt the program. Syracuse had Cantor who almost destroyed the program.

Reaction Score
Having Susan as your president hurt the program. Syracuse had Cantor who almost destroyed the program.

The athletic department is unrecognizable from the one she took over.

As for the OP, no one in Storrs has the stomach or the smarts to fix this. Certainly not AD Dave.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

As for the OP, no one in Storrs has the stomach or the smarts to fix this. Certainly not AD Dave.

This post, in 3 sentences, sums up the last 8 years amazingly well

Reaction Score

The chronology of leadership in Storrs A.D. is a collateral conversation:
Lew Perkins-visionary-ushers UConn football into FBS (then 1-A) era
Jeff Hathaway-only rehired for stability purposes as he had been groomed since Day-1 by Perkins (the fact that he had A.D. experience at Colorado State was serendippity)'
Warde Manuel-Suzie's self proclaimed "Rock Star"-had Kevin Ollie forced upon him-liked to hand out bouquets to the Women's Hoop Teams after National Championships- hires Bobby Red Pants-carpetbags to his high profile alma mater-says that UConn deserves to be in a P5 conference as he exits-crickets
David Benedict-hired to put an end to A.D.'s state of turmoil & puts UConn Football into a death spiral & about to be sucked down a black hole of no return.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

I wish my students invested this much thought and energy into their papers. Well done!

Reaction Score

Great post... Can't argue with anything on it.. You broke everything down..... The beatwriters should take a page out of your book... Assessment was fair.. and extremely accurate..
I hate that it has come to this.

Reaction Score
I am beginning to think David Benedict is part of the problem. I still don't understand why we hired Edsall back after he failed miserably with the Terps. He was not the right coach back then, and he isn't the right coach now.
This crap show has to stop. I truly believe UCONN can field a competitive football team. Is South Dakota State can, UCONN can. It is inexcusable how bad this team is on both sides of the ball. Just fire everyone and hire the entire staff from SDSU. At this stage, I would settle for the entire Villanova football staff to replace this incompetent bunch.
With the overall frustration that us life long fans are witnessing in front of our eyes, it's sooooo hard not to agree with this post... I'm riding with whomever is running it, but when we see what we just this past weekend, there's no way in heck you can't expect nothing but a repeat performance (worse) this coming weekend.

The pulse I was looking for this season is extremely faint....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom