Simply put, these are exciting times. | The Boneyard

Simply put, these are exciting times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quite frankly my reaction to all of this has surprised me a bit. I thought I would (a.) get caught up in the "rights" and "wrongs" of everything and (b.)experience more than a little melancholy about the (possible) demise of the Big East. None of that has happened. Many great points have been made in the Yard relative to both the ethics and economics of recent and future events. I guess,at my age, I am acknowledging, as is the case with most political and business decisions, what little impact we have on the course of events. And, in this particular instance, I'm okay with that because I have a great deal of trust and respect for Jim Calhoun; and a growing degree of trust and respect for Susan Herbst. AND, I have read only good things about Paul Pendergast. So I am doing nothing but looking forward with a high degree of anticipation and excitement to the future for UConn basketball. I have never been a season ticket holder; but, if we hook up with the ACC, I emailed my son this morning saying that we would be foolish not to seriously consider becoming ticket holders. Imo the future is very bright not only for the team we will put on the floor this season; but for the quality of competition for the program. And, for academic reasons as well(both my kids are UConn grads), I think our wonderful state university will be taking a great step forward with an ACC membership. I certainly don't see guarantees of anything; but we have the right people in place to protect all things UConn. :)

GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
I share your feelings. The demise of the BE was inevitable and I was dreading the day that it would happen. Now that the day is here, it doesn't seem so bad. Maybe it is the anticipation of something new or maybe it is the elimination of aniexty by finally getting to this point but I am optimistic about the future of Uconn.The timing seems right for lots of reasons.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I would have preferred a more thoughtful approach to the inevitable break up. Instead of trying to keep Dave Gavitt's dream alive, Tranghese could have brokered moves for all the Big East school's benefit. Swofford could have been less of a shortsighted, misinformed scumbag as well.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Quite frankly my reaction to all of this has surprised me a bit. I thought I would (a.) get caught up in the "rights" and "wrongs" of everything and (b.)experience more than a little melancholy about the (possible) demise of the Big East. None of that has happened. Many great points have been made in the Yard relative to both the ethics and economics of recent and future events. I guess,at my age, I am acknowledging, as is the case with most political and business decisions, what little impact we have on the course of events. And, in this particular instance, I'm okay with that because I have a great deal of trust and respect for Jim Calhoun; and a growing degree of trust and respect for Susan Herbst. AND, I have read only good things about Paul Pendergast. So I am doing nothing but looking forward with a high degree of anticipation and excitement to the future for UConn basketball. I have never been a season ticket holder; but, if we hook up with the ACC, I emailed my son this morning saying that we would be foolish not to seriously consider becoming ticket holders. Imo the future is very bright not only for the team we will put on the floor this season; but for the quality of competition for the program. And, for academic reasons as well(both my kids are UConn grads), I think our wonderful state university will be taking a great step forward with an ACC membership. I certainly don't see guarantees of anything; but we have the right people in place to protect all things UConn. :)

GO HUSKIES!!!!!
Great positive attitude. I'm both excited and somewhat morose. Every time the BET appeared on tv, when conferences accomplishments were listed, UConn was at the top or near the top. This will never disappear, but every time the ACC tournament occurs, we will hear nothing but Duke and NC. Maybe for a year or two they may give a BE footnote for UConn, Pitt and Cuse, but that would quickly end. And MSG was wonderful and will disappear and be a whisper of what it has been recently. And playing the BE schools will be a thing of the past and although some games created more excitement than others, the entire package was thrilling. These are the thoughts behind the morose sentiments I'm having.

On the positive side wherever UConn lands I believe the basketball program will do well. JC is unusual. He is determined to make UConn's men's bb a blue blood program. We have made him a hero, and rightfully so. But he is equally interested in UConn's success as he is interested in his own success. And he is determined to make the transition from his leadership to the next coach successful. In this case he is unique because I believe certain other historical coaches were consciously or subconsciously hoping for their successors failure. And, although hard to prove, I've felt some of them were active in sabotaging the programs after they left.

My real sadness will be the day JC no longer coaches. For all of his rough spots, this guy has done many more positive things. The winning is icing on the cake in my book. My gratification is that he always gives more than 100% in his efforts. I care more that his players are grateful for everything he has and is doing for them. I care that he doesn't let negative situations bog him down. I care that he wants UConn and the state of Connecticut to benefit from his programs success. And I care that he was loyal to the institution even as he could have gained financially by going elsewhere, like most high profile coaches do and have done. For me, these current set of events are nothing compared to the day JC leaves coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom