Silver Lining | The Boneyard

Silver Lining

Reaction Score
There is a silver lining in the cancellation/postponement of the USF vs UConn game. For one Joseph and Diggs get an additional week to heal up. For another it gives the team an additional week to clean up some of the mistakes and prepare for Virginia.

On another note, I am wondering if the TV powers that be could find a slot later in the week That the AAC championship game is to be played. The game as of now is slated for a Monday. If they could find a way to slide it in on a Thursday UConn and USF could play their match the Saturday before.

Reaction Score
Was thinking of this as I walked the dog. Junior and Vontae get an extra week to heal up. Glad I saw this rather than start s new thread.

Reaction Score
I think moving the championship game a week may have impacts on the access bowl announcement. Typically the entire slate will be announced that Tuesday.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As there now are a few games that need to be rescheduled the best solution (although not likely to be acted upon) would be to move Championship Weekend to December 9 and play all cancelled games, along with Army-Navy on December 2.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
As there now are a few games that need to be rescheduled the best solution (although not likely to be acted upon) would be to move Championship Weekend to December 9 and play all cancelled games, along with Army-Navy on December 2.
Love this idea.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
A large part of this decision to cancel the game for USF was based on protecting their football season. Do you really think they are now going to go out of their way to agree to play a game in Connecticut in December?! :rolleyes: Not likely.

Reaction Score
On another note, I am wondering if the TV powers that be could find a slot later in the week That the AAC championship game is to be played. The game as of now is slated for a Monday. If they could find a way to slide it in on a Thursday UConn and USF could play their match the Saturday before.
You lost me - which game are you saying is Monday? The AAC Championship game is Saturday - December 2nd.

Reaction Score
You lost me - which game are you saying is Monday? The AAC Championship game is Saturday - December 2nd.
You are absolutely correct. Not sure what I was looking at when going to the AAC site but saw something different. Thanks for the correction.

Reaction Score
Another bright side for me is that, coming into the season, it looked like we would get curb stomped in this game. Granted, USF hasn't looked very good, but I don't think there's any argument that they aren't more talented than we are. A blowout loss could've done a number on the team's and fan base's psyche.

Instead, we'll be rolling into Charlottesville healthy, without a loss, and with an extra week of preparation to face a very beatable UVA team. Win that, we're 2-0 and who knows, maybe the team has some momentum to take off? Just trying to find some potential upside in an unfortunate situation.

Reaction Score
Another bright side for me is that, coming into the season, it looked like we would get curb stomped in this game. Granted, USF hasn't looked very good, but I don't think there's any argument that they aren't more talented than we are. A blowout loss could've done a number on the team's and fan base's psyche.

Instead, we'll be rolling into Charlottesville healthy, without a loss, and with an extra week of preparation to face a very beatable UVA team. Win that, we're 2-0 and who knows, maybe the team has some momentum to take off? Just trying to find some potential upside in an unfortunate situation.
I was thinking the same thing but forgot to add that in the original post. UConn didn't exactly put Holy Cross away. That game was a struggle. Playing a 2-0 USF team with an axe to grind and a top 25 ranking to protect could have been disastrous for the new, 2017 version of the Huskies. Sure, UConn might have caught a distracted USF team off guard but I doubt they'd be that off guard.

Reaction Score
I like that Diggs and Joseph get another week to heal but I don't like that the team plays Holy Cross on 8/31 and then just one game until SMU on 9/30. Hard to stay as focused with these long breaks and the players need the experience.

Reaction Score

I agree but to play devil's advocate the young kids need as much game experience as possible. Its also one less chance at six wins. Can we make a bowl at 5-6?

Reaction Score
I agree but to play devil's advocate the young kids need as much game experience as possible. Its also one less chance at six wins. Can we make a bowl at 5-6?
Fair point on game experience. I think our chances of winning this game were pretty slim anyway, so I'm not sure it makes a huge difference in terms of being bowl eligible. To answer your question more directly, somebody said that technically we could make a bowl at 5-6 if the NCAA grants a waiver. It'd be hard to believe we wouldn't get it, but then again it's the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Fair point on game experience. I think our chances of winning this game were pretty slim anyway, so I'm not sure it makes a huge difference in terms of being bowl eligible. To answer your question more directly, somebody said that technically we could make a bowl at 5-6 if the NCAA grants a waiver. It'd be hard to believe we wouldn't get it, but then again it's the NCAA.
Meh, sure it's unlikely we would have won but that's why you play the games. And it's not like USF is Alabama.

Reaction Score
But they are a lock to get to a bowl at 6-5. Better yet 7-5 :) Glass half full guys, glass half full :)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Love this idea.
The biggest issues with this however are that the P-5 championship games (neutral venues) likely cannot be moved easily and those conferences would not consider putting in the effort as they would receive little benefit from doing do. Army-Navy would likely be a difficult move as well.

Reaction Score
Guess we'll have to just go undefeated so we don't have to worry about it :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom