Sierra Calhoun vs Kia Nurse | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun vs Kia Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am ready glad we got Kia Nurse Ranked 33rd over Sierra Calhoun Ranked 16th in the National poles. Sierra looked like a deer in the head lights last night, "LOST"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well I'll give her a little break, Calhoun did have to play against UCONN, while Nurse only had to play against Duke. ;)

But yes, I am very glad Nurse came to UCONN. I'll admit I was skeptical, why did we need another guard when we had 3 coming already? Happy to have been wrong.

HGN

Reaction Score
Give Calhoun a break.......She was playing in front of friends and family and was probably nervous, and proceeded to have a rough night. Nurse's confidence was on the rise , while Sierra 's was a little shaky playing against a coach that recruited her hard for the Huskies. I predict that Sierra will bounce back and go on to have a good season.

Reaction Score
For me, the most impressive element of last night's beating was the great team defense UConn played, and in particular the extraordinary defensive efforts of Kia Nurse and Moriah- 5 momentum building steals each, preventing Duke from getting into any sort of offensive rhythm, forcing Duke's deep into the shot clock time and time again (resulting in several clock violations), and completely shutting down two Duke starters (Greenwell and Calhoun). Watching our 5' 7" speedster play chest to chest with their 6' l" shooting guard and render her useless was just beautiful to watch.

Reaction Score
For me, the most impressive element of last night's beating was the great team defense UConn played, and in particular the extraordinary defensive efforts of Kia Nurse and Moriah- 5 momentum building steals each, preventing Duke from getting into any sort of offensive rhythm, forcing Duke's deep into the shot clock time and time again (resulting in several clock violations), and completely shutting down two Duke starters (Greenwell and Calhoun). Watching our 5' 7" speedster play chest to chest with their 6' l" shooting guard and render her useless was just beautiful to watch.
Right, our defense and offense both wear teams out.
And then: "fatigue makes cowards of us all" - Vince Lombardi. That goes for mental as well as physical fatigue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think the comparison should be Kia Nurse v. Asia Durr. Asia may have chosen Louisville because we already had too many guards, particularly Kia. Asia may be fabulous, but I doubt she's better than Kia. We already know that Kia Nurse is a fabulous player at the college level.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It was a tough game for Sierra. Maybe it's just JPM's style, but Sierra seemed to be getting subbed in and out quite a bit. The stats were not pretty: zero points on 0-8 shooting and two assists to go with three turnovers. Kia, meanwhile, got herself 11 points on 3-5 shooting (plus earned opportunities at the stripe, of which Sierra had none), five steals, and four assists against only one turnover. That adds up to another solid day for Kia against a quality opponent, and it's starting to look like you can just set your watch to her. That's a rare quality in a freshman.

I always assumed Sierra would end up at UConn and don't really understand what happened, but the 2014 class we did get is shaping up nicely...and Courtney will be back soon!

Reaction Score
The next time you want to start a thread comparing a guard with a forward after seeing the opposing player play one game,......take out the trash instead. Since her brother plays for UConn, it might not have been the best idea of 2014? Gloating is not an admirable trait.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I am ready glad we got Kia Nurse Ranked 33rd over Sierra Calhoun Ranked 16th in the National poles. Sierra looked like a deer in the head lights last night, "LOST"

How was it for you when you payed DI Basketball, as a freshman, against the best team in the country?

Reaction Score
Kia was playing with senior players who had beaten Duke, while Sierra was playing with a couple of freshmen and another couple of who had lost to UConn more than once. So the talent need to be on a higher level to pull out an upset..the team effort just fell apart a of late. UConn was shaky the first 13 min, how many unforced errors did both team have that first 13 min?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Nurse is my favorite player to watch during the game. Great athlete, great BBIQ, great intensity and drive. She's the real deal and is going to be a pleasure to watch develop over the next 4 years.

Reaction Score
Statistically, Sierra had perhaps her worst game of her year. The same can be said for many other freshmen and upperclassmen who play UCONN. However, Sierra has had a very good freshman year and averages double digits, rebounds well but might be a little turnover prone. She has been starting all year and its fair to say Duke has been pleased with the recruit.
So while Kia's play has been consistently outstanding and we all are thrilled she chose UCONN, its a bit early to draw any conclusions comparing the two except that both teams are happy with their recruits.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The freshman I was most impressed with was Azura Stevens. Scored 16 points against UCONN on a team filled with other freshmen playing against upper classmen at UCONN. I guess it is possible for freshmen to have really good games against UCONN...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nurse is my favorite player to watch during the game. Great athlete, great BBIQ, great intensity and drive. She's the real deal and is going to be a pleasure to watch develop over the next 4 years.
Develop. Can you imagine? :eek: :D

Reaction Score
Sierra Calhoun is shooting 31.3% from the floor. She is shooting 29.3% from 3. This year she has 17 assists vs 29 turnovers. She'll grow. But right now imo they aren't comparable. Nurse looks like an all-american lock in the future.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Overall Calhoun's stats are definitely growing-pain frosh ones but with one big exception, that 89.7% FT shooting, and unlike last night she usually gets to the line a decent amount so that she can edge into double digits ppg at 10.2. The UConn freshmen (the two now on the floor) have been hugely impressive this year, but at a combined 55% on FT%, there is that one area that major strides could be made in.

Reaction Score
Maybe now the babbling, boobish Dave O'Brien will understand that basketball is nothing if not a great TEAM sport in which team work, skill and relentless hustle will trump his beloved and over-hyped wingspan, height, length and all the other size crapola superlatives he raved about the Dukies - every time.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The freshman I was most impressed with was Azura Stevens. Scored 16 points against UCONN on a team filled with other freshmen playing against upper classmen at UCONN. I guess it is possible for freshmen to have really good games against UCONN...
Nina Davis was really, really good against us last year as a frosh.

Reaction Score
Forget the polls. In my book, Kia was a top 5 recruit all along...perhaps #1

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Develop. Can you imagine? :eek: :D
Exactly! She's a special kid and her trend line is only heading up.

People sometimes complain about the lopsided wins for UConn being boring. Well watching Nurse alone is well worth the price of a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom