Side out of bounds play, Hurley Sr. | The Boneyard

Side out of bounds play, Hurley Sr.

Reaction Score
Good stuff. You'll either like this or find boring as heck. He designed this for end game with a few seconds on the clock.

Danny has quite a few diamond sets he runs too.

If I'm running this in 2019, I probably make the diamind a little bigger, and run that first cutter for a 3 instead of a long 2 or baseline drive.

Tons of options in that set. Love it.

Hurley Sr. Was ahead of his time--1 of a kind and an incredible man off the court too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is a great sideline out of bounds play. I had this one down pat when I coached as I learned from this exact video. It got us many open looks and some big time buckets. Lots of options and if you know where to place your personnel it can get mismatches if they switch. Love this play. Called it "Hurley" obviously....

Reaction Score
This is a great sideline out of bounds play. I had this one down pat when I coached as I learned from this exact video. It got us many open looks and some big time buckets. Lots of options and if you know where to place your personnel it can get mismatches if they switch. Love this play. Called it "Hurley" obviously....

Did you ever run it as a set play? To get both bigs a back screen would require some wonky positional stuff. Curious how you pulled that off

I think you could pull it off in a 4 out and use a flare isntead of a curl screen from the 5. I think it kind of misses the essence of the play.though. half court sets with a guard under the basket arent going to end well with most teams... but you sort of nedd him to start there to get each of the bigs diving to the basket

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you ever run it as a set play? To get both bigs a back screen would require some wonky positional stuff. Curious how you pulled that off

I think you could pull it off in a 4 out and use a flare isntead of a curl screen from the 5. I think it kind of misses the essence of the play.though. half court sets with a guard under the basket arent going to end well with most teams... but you sort of nedd him to start there to get each of the bigs diving to the basket

I only ran it out of Side line out of bounds, and unless we practiced it intently the day or two before a game, it was only used coming out of a TO. I like the guard starting under the basket because if they are switching everything the lob is always there because the big will out jump the guard and if they don't switch sometimes the big (if not athletic enough) gets pinned for long enough on the back screen that the lob is open. But like you said you need the big there for the baseline screen at the end for the shooter. It could work with a four out offense, iduno, have to think about it and see it with a team in practice. Would still be a quick hitter probably though not a motion out of the 4 out, so would have to either create a way to connect it or reset if none of the options were there.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Too simple. Not nearly enough options. Give me the KO offensive sets over this any day

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom