Sid Wilson | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson

Reaction Score
I recently watched a few highlight videos of Sid to try to learn a little about his game as I have never seen him play in person.

Sid seems to be an aggressive slasher who can take his man off the dribble and get to the rim. He is a strong dunker and can also shoot from outside a bit. His handle seems decent for a 6'7" guy. Thats about all I could get from the highlight videos besides the fact that he is very slender.

Anyone see Sid play in person, or at least complete games on TV? Would love to hear more about his game as he seems to be an exciting player.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
He was an effective scorer for Brewster. Should be an excellent complement to Jalen next year. If Alterique is healthy, we'll have a dynamic perimeter.

Reaction Score
He reminds of a Marcus Johnson type. Sick athlete with questionable perimeter skills. I've only seen vids, however, so I'm not a very good source.

Reaction Score
I went to 3-4 of his games but at the time I wasn't specifically watching him because the UConn connection wasn't known to me. I think you have it described well as a slasher. He handled the ball from end to end, handled it a lot, and pushed the ball with the dribble like Daniel Hamilton did. He pushes the ball into the lane with the dribble like Hamilton did when he would then lob to Brimah. In Wilson's case he would pull up for a 10 ft shot. I don't recall him even taking a 3 when I watched, and even the 10 ft shots and foul shots are not 'money'. On the other hand, I think he could have made a big difference last year because he is a wing/2 guard that can handle the ball and create for himself. Only our guards could handle last year, so we couldn't play with 3 bigs easily. Kromah with a better handle comes to mind. Daniel Hamilton comes to mind. I would be very interested to hear from somebody who saw him on the practice court with our guys last year to know how he looked in the current context.

Reaction Score
I went to 3-4 of his games but at the time I wasn't specifically watching him because the UConn connection wasn't known to me. I think you have it described well as a slasher. He handled the ball from end to end, handled it a lot, and pushed the ball with the dribble like Daniel Hamilton did. He pushes the ball into the lane with the dribble like Hamilton did when he would then lob to Brimah. In Wilson's case he would pull up for a 10 ft shot. I don't recall him even taking a 3 when I watched, and even the 10 ft shots and foul shots are not 'money'. On the other hand, I think he could have made a big difference last year because he is a wing/2 guard that can handle the ball and create for himself. Only our guards could handle last year, so we couldn't play with 3 bigs easily. Kromah with a better handle comes to mind. Daniel Hamilton comes to mind. I would be very interested to hear from somebody who saw him on the practice court with our guys last year to know how he looked in the current context.
I was going to say that his handle was much better than Larrier’s, so to your point the Hamilton handling comparison is a good one.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I was going to say that his handle was much better than Larrier’s, so to your point the Hamilton handling comparison is a good one.

I think he’s a similar guard/wing combo to Hamilton. That’s who I was thinking of.

However, I think Sid is more aggressive attacking, whereas Hamilton was more deliberate and often looking to distribute. Sid seems to look to finish and in that regard seems more “explosive” than D Ham.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Very skinny, lacked muscle tone when I first saw him.
A year later he was still skinny but didn't look as fragile
He did handle the ball fairly well and wanted the ball which is good. Yeah he is a slasher, but as I remember, needed to work on finishing (this was about 2.5 years ago)
I read above some comparatives to DHam, yeah I can see that but DHam had more bulk and was a better outside shooter
I think there is a huge upside to Sid, he needs to work on his shot and, unless he has bulked up in past year or so, needs to get some weight and muscle on the bones. But I am very high on this kid and was disappointed when he selected St Johns

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I don’t worry a ton about “skinny” because if he plays aggressive and continues to mature, he’ll be strong.

Some guys don’t have or need the big muscular tone to be strong on the court.

Reaction Score
Seems like my impressions were correct based on the feedback. I saw some DHam in his game as well, but a good bit more explosive. Thanks for all the replies, especially Ricker.

C

Chief00

Seems like my impressions were correct based on the feedback. I saw some DHam in his game as well, but a good bit more explosive. Thanks for all the replies, especially Ricker.

One difference is that DHam is a better passer. SidWil is more explosive. I agree he doesn’t need to bulk up - but add lean muscle - Indeed!

Reaction Score
It's great that we will bring more talent to the floor. Nonetheless, we do need to get away from the positionless skinny KO prototype and get some beef that can battle underneath and establish positions. The game has devolved into shooting 3s or penetrating into the paint. We simply can't compete without dominant big men that can establish position and get after the miss or get up off the floor and contest shots. Statistically, 3s create more rebound opportunities (lower % shot) and offensive and defensive rebounding is critical.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score

D.Ham 2.0 in HD with the Sealy package

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The mixtape is 90% dunking, he’s a phenominal athlete. I hope he can drive to the hoop and use the backboard because at the next level those dunks will not be there all the time. He should be a good rebounder.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Rumor from some administrative guys is that he's put in a ton of work on his shooting this off-season. Still skinny though--he doesn't seem to have the body type to put on 30 lbs or anything.
You’re right on body type. Rip was skinny but strong. As long as he is working to get stronger, he doesn’t need 30 pounds.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If he's a slasher skinny is an advantage. Can snake through easier. Rip was a great example.

Kid needs to have an outside shot. Otherwise his slashing is neutralized.

Reaction Score
You’re tight on body type. Rip was skinny but strong. As long as he is working to get stronger, he doesn’t need 30 pounds.

Not tight. Just meaning that at his height/size, he needs to keep developing his skill set. I think he needs to work on more 2-guard skills, which it sounds like he has. Plenty of guys in the league don't have the ideal body type, but make it work with high level skills and shooting.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The mixtape is 90% dunking, he’s a phenominal athlete. I hope he can drive to the hoop and use the backboard because at the next level those dunks will not be there all the time. He should be a good rebounder.
His shooting form is good, just needs to stretch to the three point line and maintain it. Very explosive off the floor, and is a strong athlete, even though not sporting a huge frame. Needs upper back and shoulder strength, the rest is fine. Didn't see too much handle, but that's another thing that hard work can improve. Looks like a solid 3 man.

Reaction Score
One difference is that DHam is a better passer. SidWil is more explosive. I agree he doesn’t need to bulk up - but add lean muscle - Indeed!
Agreed Hamilton is a much better passer...Sid is a much better athlete. Shot was ok still needs quite a bit of work based on the sample I saw last year (2-3 games at Brewster).

Reaction Score
ala Durant.. slender but strong

Durant isn't strong at all. Don't think the guy put up a single rep on the bench press at the combine. Doesn't matter as he's one of the best natural scorers of all time, but strength is just about the last thing that comes to mind for him.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
Durant isn't strong at all. Don't think the guy put up a single rep on the bench press at the combine. Doesn't matter as he's one of the best natural scorers of all time, but strength is just about the last thing that comes to mind for him.
Neither could RIP, but I’d say he was strong as well.. they are a different kind of strong than you naturally think of

Reaction Score
Neither could RIP, but I’d say he was strong as well.. they are a different kind of strong than you naturally think of

I get what you're saying but Durant, at least college age/heading into the draft Durant, just wasn't strong. Weak upper body, not a ton of lower body strength, no muscle mass, etc. Yes, sometimes players have strength that isn't apparent to the naked eye, but Durant is not a good example of that at all.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I was thinking more like Dennis Rodman or even Roscoe Smith, wiry but strong in basketball terms.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom