Sid Wilson | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson

Reaction Score
Not trying to open old wounds again, but just thought I would share what I found today from a St. John's board:

Post 1:
Reguarding a post on the other site it is unfortunately 100% correct ... Sid is not happy and as of now does not want to be here. I can say with 100% certainty that he explored options to leave without having to sit( obviously their are none) but it was Texas not Uconn he would have left for. Thus information is correct. Period. And was accurate as of late July. Might have his situation, thoughts change, yes. Bottom line is he will be playing for SJU this season
« Last Edit: Today at 11:52:42 AM by SJU79 »

Post 2:
I heard the same thing this weekend.

Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S

Reaction Score
He came up on my recommended page for Instagram a couple of days ago. His story had text along the lines of "Hate the current situation I'm in".

FWIW, as noted earlier in the summer, there isn't any discernible love for SJU on his page.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't he have been able to play here? I assume he signed an loi, but those tend to dissolve with enough public pressure.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't he have been able to play here? I assume he signed an loi, but those tend to dissolve with enough public pressure.

And enrolled in summer classes already

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to spread any rumors. But I consulted someone about the whole Sid Wilson situation, I usually never get that involved but his decision really shocked me. And from what I know, his family was heavily influenced for financial reasons. Sad that a family would put their own self interests over their own kid. I feel sorry for him. The whole process really tore him up and put him in a scenario where he now has to really think about who he can trust in his life.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wasn't the attraction of St. John's through 80's that player didn't have dorms to live in so they were given a stipend for housing. Then they'd live at home with family and bank the cash?? Then SJU built dorms and the cash went away?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not trying to spread any rumors. But I consulted someone about the whole Sid Wilson situation, I usually never get that involved but his decision really shocked me. And from what I know, his family was heavily influenced for financial reasons. Sad that a family would put their own self interests over their own kid. I feel sorry for him. The whole process really tore him up and put him in a scenario where he now has to really think about who he can trust in his life.

I agree 100%
Only a complete dolt couldn't read through the lines of his texts, etc. and see that it was like a gun held to his head to announce St Johns.
I don't care what the Texas talk is all about - the kid wanted to be and should be playing pick-up games right now in Storrs.
This is so sad to see a kid being torn up by a decision that was obviously not his..

Reaction Score
Wasn't the attraction of St. John's through 80's that player didn't have dorms to live in so they were given a stipend for housing. Then they'd live at home with family and bank the cash?? Then SJU built dorms and the cash went away?

Whether you have dorms or not, you can still pay players housing $ to move off campus. I know this was true in the past at schools with dorms.

Reaction Score

Correct.

But what's fascinating about St. John's fall to irrelevancy is that it roughly coincides with the school building dormitories in 1999. Prior to that, St. John's could provide sizable stipends to players because NCAA rules permitted any school without dorms to cover living expenses for student-athletes. Often, players would get these big checks, live at home, on the cheap or with multiple teammates, and pocket a lot of cash, which provided St. John's with a significant recruiting advantage. But once the dorms were built, that recruiting advantage vanished. And St. John's really hasn't been the same since.

Source: Outlook for five college basketball programs that have fallen off sharply

Reaction Score
Correct.

But what's fascinating about St. John's fall to irrelevancy is that it roughly coincides with the school building dormitories in 1999. Prior to that, St. John's could provide sizable stipends to players because NCAA rules permitted any school without dorms to cover living expenses for student-athletes. Often, players would get these big checks, live at home, on the cheap or with multiple teammates, and pocket a lot of cash, which provided St. John's with a significant recruiting advantage. But once the dorms were built, that recruiting advantage vanished. And St. John's really hasn't been the same since.

Source: Outlook for five college basketball programs that have fallen off sharply

As usual, Gary Parrish doesn't know what he's talking about. St. John's can still do this if it wanted. Every school can.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As usual, Gary Parrish doesn't know what he's talking about. St. John's can still do this if it wanted. Every school can.

When St. John's was without dorms, they were permitted to give athletes a stipend that was tied to the cost of living in New York City. It was substantial and it was guaranteed. It didn't matter what the kids did with that money. They lost that perk when they added dorms to campus.

The stipend you're allowed to offer when you have dorms is tied only to the cost of living in those dorms.

That's what they're referring to when they're talking about an advantage that St. John's lost.

C

Chief00

When St. John's was without dorms, they were permitted to give athletes a stipend that was tied to the cost of living in New York City. It was substantial and it was guaranteed. It didn't matter what the kids did with that money. They lost that perk when they added dorms to campus.

The stipend you're allowed to offer when you have dorms is tied only to the cost of living in those dorms.

That's what they're referring to when they're talking about an advantage that St. John's lost.
While diminished its still probably $10k to $15k a year - enough to potentially influence a low income family.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
While diminished its still probably $10k to $15k a year - enough to potentially influence a low income family.

It's in line with what other schools can offer to their athletes who live off campus - it is tied to the cost of living in a dorm room and St. John's is not remarkable in that aspect. It only really works if a kid has family close to the SJU campus -- being a commuter and playing DI basketball is just not possible.

C

Chief00

When you lose recruiting battles like we did for the 2017 class - we relie on excuses rather than success narratives.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom