Sid Vicious | The Boneyard

Sid Vicious

Reaction Score
Absolutely loved what I saw out of the kid last night. Here's a quote from a Putterman Courant article this morning about him and BA:

Maybe they wouldn’t start, the sophomores told each other, but they’d need to bring energy — lots of energy — off the bench.

“Once we kind of figured out the rotation, we knew that was our job,” Adams said Friday night. “So every time in practice, when my energy is low, Sid lets me know. When his energy is low, I let him know. So when we come into the game, we’re on the same page."

Next step, need to see nights like this consistently and against high major competition.

Culture.

Reaction Score
This position with either Sid or Adams will be critical. Having a 6’6 and up guy who can be all over the court, scoring, rebounding and defending...in 2004, that was Denham brown’s role. He was in almost every play, even if not touching the bell, his presence was there. Having another wing scorerer will be clutch. Vital and Gilbert will have off nights, we’ll need to find points and good minutes out of the two of them. Great to read they know it

Reaction Score
Nice to see him hit those mid-range jumpers. He had an impact.

Then he had a stretch in the second half where he almost singlehandedly killed our momentum and put SHU back in the game. And Hurley was upset he didn't hustle after a loose ball. Sid gives and Sid takes away.

If he was a hair smoother, a bit more under control, he needs to learn the difference between playing fast and rushing. If he did, he would be so much more.

Reaction Score
Sid was able to expose their zone D a few times last night with his made jumpers as opposed to last year when he was in that same position that shot was rushed and not being made.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Our season will hinge on the play we get from Whaley, Adams and Sid. Our starters are solid players. Each of them. But the UConn teams of the past few years have tanked because we lacked depth. Big years from these three will determine our fortune. We can’t expect the starters to pull out every game on their own. Glad the guys know how important they are to our chances.

Reaction Score
He showed improvement from last year; that's about all you can ask for.
I think the same can be said of the team in general. They were absolutely painful to watch last season. Last year we opened with a 10 point win against Morehead St. which should not have even been that close. This team hit the gas and it was game over. I actually had fun watching last night which is a first in two years.

Reaction Score
We need this kid. If only so that they can crank up "Anarchy in the U.K." when he's set to enter the game.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Absolutely loved what I saw out of the kid last night. Here's a quote from a Putterman Courant article this morning about him and BA:

Maybe they wouldn’t start, the sophomores told each other, but they’d need to bring energy — lots of energy — off the bench.

“Once we kind of figured out the rotation, we knew that was our job,” Adams said Friday night. “So every time in practice, when my energy is low, Sid lets me know. When his energy is low, I let him know. So when we come into the game, we’re on the same page."

Next step, need to see nights like this consistently and against high major competition.

Culture.
Nice to get 20+ from two guys off the bench on a regular basis

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If he was a hair smoother, a bit more under control, he needs to learn the difference between playing fast and rushing. If he did, he would be so much more.
You could say this about the whole team last night. But I'd rather see too much energy in the first game them too little. Feel like that is the early emphasis and Hurley will ease back on the throttle once the effort becomes ingrained.

Reaction Score
Sid and BAdams on the bench
ea43fab19e0248aedd4afe7df5e466bb.gif

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nice to see him hit those mid-range jumpers. He had an impact.

Then he had a stretch in the second half where he almost singlehandedly killed our momentum and put SHU back in the game. And Hurley was upset he didn't hustle after a loose ball. Sid gives and Sid takes away.

He missed three or four shots in a row in which he did everything right to get into position to make a basket (execution) but failed to finish.

Outside of that failed hustle play and one play he lost his player on defense, there was a lot to like about Sid's overall game. I'm not worried about those missed bunnies. They are correctible.

Hope this kid practices his free throws because he's going to get fouled a lot.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Culture.
Having players motivate one another makes life easier for the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Sid was completely lost last year And I got down on him I guess because he was built up as a 4 star prospect. Didn’t see it. On defense he was doing an imitation of bull fighter olè, And his handle and shooting were bad. That said he’s a great athlete and we desperately need him to be good, so I hope this improvement is real.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Sid was completely lost last year And I got down on him I guess because he was built up as a 4 star prospect. Didn’t see it. On defense he was doing an imitation of bull fighter olè, And his handle and shooting were bad. That said he’s a great athlete and we desperately need him to be good, so I hope this improvement is real.
I get where you are coming from. We seem to get four stars as of late who don't materialize initially, like you would expect. Recent 4* recruits include V. Jackson, Enoch, Roscoe Smith, DeAndre (yes Deandre), Purvis, Durham, Facey. Sure we have five stars as well, like Drummond. Not sure whether Phil or Polley were four stars but if so, add those guys to this seemingly endless list of UConn 4*s who don't make an impact, initially. Those on the list above went on to eventually make big impacts on the court, excluding Durham to some degree.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sid is looking like we thought he would last year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member