SI Staples good read on TV rights | The Boneyard

SI Staples good read on TV rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As soon as I saw the Board of Regents case, I thought the same thing Carl haha.

Reaction Score
While ESPN keeps coming up in regard to realignment, Magnus bristles at the notion that ESPN was the man behind the curtain moving schools from conference to conference. "The misunderstanding that is out there is that we were the architects behind this or that or that we cared to influence it," Magnus said. "I can say this with very, very personal knowledge and experience. If I could change the clock back to November of 2008 with a snap of my fingers, I would do that in a second. We were better off as a company." Magnus is correct. Before the most recent wave of realignment began, ESPN paid far less for college rights and made a higher profit margin off those rights. Few companies would pull strings to significantly increase their overhead. "Change happens," Magnus said. "If you fight change, you're going to lose."
Does this statement prove they had nothing to do with it? Or does it show that ESPN execs believed after the first contract extension offer was refused they stood a good chance of losing the property? Thereafter the BE was looked at as a competitor to their primary affiliated conference and a strategy of retribution began, not entirely sure of the outcome but hoping to weaken the BE into some type of submission.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Does this statement prove they had nothing to do with it? Or does it show that ESPN execs believed after the first contract extension offer was refused they stood a good chance of losing the property? Thereafter the BE was looked at as a competitor to their primary affiliated conference and a strategy of retribution began, not entirely sure of the outcome but hoping to weaken the BE into some type of submission.

I know it means at least one party is lying :).

Reaction Score

Given the BE is clinging to life right now while ESPN is literally driving the bus makes me think ESPN has had a hand in the BE's current position.

After every realignment, the BE seems to lose a school or two and the other conference seems to re-work their deal with ESPN. Hmmmm...

Apparently ESPN is a big fan of wealth re-distribution...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yep, big difference between what was said and what is implied, that's a hallmark of a spin attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom