SI Says | The Boneyard

SI Says

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn will be ranked #1 preseason, but SC won't be far behind with all of their starters returning next fall. Is that true? I wasn't paying them attention in March.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is not true and was never going to be true. SC was going to lose Coates to graduation no matter what. Davis and Gray went to WNBA early leaving only Harris and Wilson as returning starters. UCONN was going to be ranked #1 once Azura came on board so that part is true.

Reaction Score
Poking around across the web I keep coming across the projected rankings and have noticed a hilarious trend. For some unfathomable reason UT keeps getting misplaced in the top five. I even saw one where they were fourth. Does anyone actually watch any of these teams play? They have recruits coming in, so what? Is there a new coach on the same bus? No? I Have to cover the keyboard with a cloth if drinking and reading these things at the same time.

Reaction Score
Poking around across the web I keep coming across the projected rankings and have noticed a hilarious trend. For some unfathomable reason UT keeps getting misplaced in the top five. I even saw one where they were fourth. Does anyone actually watch any of these teams play? They have recruits coming in, so what? Is there a new coach on the same bus? No? I Have to cover the keyboard with a cloth if drinking and reading these things at the same time.
Assuming the UT you are referring to are the Lady Vols....if that's the case. As they say, "the more things change, the more they remain the same". Year after year, despite their previous year's performance, these same WCBB experts LV enchantment continues to confuse them. They fail to realize, in this modern age of WCBB, where they no longer get most of the best players, and the parity is much better, they are a Top 25 team now, and no more. While I suspect they'd be a bit more consistent if PHS were still their coach, while HW is in charge, they'll be running hot & cold, at best.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is not true and was never going to be true. SC was going to lose Coates to graduation no matter what. Davis and Gray went to WNBA early leaving only Harris and Wilson as returning starters. UConn was going to be ranked #1 once Azura came on board so that part is true.

That's what I thought; but SI never gets it wrong :)p) so I thought I'd check the true experts. On Coates I think they fudged. She wasn't starting at the end of the year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

"Return of DeShields, Russell has Lady Vols poised to rebound"

Return of DeShields, Russell has Lady Vols poised to rebound

''I'm not going into this year thinking, 'You know what, you'd better win because you're going to lose your job,' '' said Warlick, who has reached three regional finals in her five seasons. ''I'm going into this season (thinking), 'How can I get this group better? How can I get this team more focused? How can we all get on the same page? We've got an AD here that has just been awesome. ... He's a high-energy guy.

''He's coming in here and wanting our programs to be successful. I don't think he's coming in here with the thought of, 'You know what? I'm going to run everybody out and get who I want in here.' ''

Interesting that Holly finally spoke about the elephant in the room.

"'How can I get this group better? How can I get this team more focused? How can we all get on the same page?" This, of course, is what she has not been able to do in her 5 years. This has been her constant refrain for 5 years. I expect her to fail again next season.

And the title of the article is an absolute hoot! They are back and great things will flow from that?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Assuming the UT you are referring to are the Lady Vols....if that's the case. As they say, "the more things change, the more they remain the same". Year after year, despite their previous year's performance, these same WCBB experts LV enchantment continues to confuse them. They fail to realize, in this modern age of WCBB, where they no longer get most of the best players, and the parity is much better, they are a Top 25 team now, and no more. While I suspect they'd be a bit more consistent if PHS were still their coach, while HW is in charge, they'll be running hot & cold, at best.
Preseason Coaches Poll for the 2015-16 Season had TN ranked 4th. Are we sure that UT is not talking about University of Texas? Texas get two of top 5 kids in 2017 (Patterson & Boothe) returns the Big 12 POY and Holmes who had a very good Freshman year. That's not a stretch to see TX being top 5 next year at the rate kinds are transferring.

Reaction Score
Preseason Coaches Poll for the 2015-16 Season had TN ranked 4th. Are we sure that UT is not talking about University of Texas? Texas get two of top 5 kids in 2017 (Patterson & Boothe) returns the Big 12 POY and Holmes who had a very good Freshman year. That's not a stretch to see TX being top 5 next year at the rate kinds are transferring.

"Preseason Coaches Poll"....See? That's exactly the kind of poll I was talking about. And thanks for sneaking it in here on me. Where's my towel?

Reaction Score
That's what I thought; but SI never gets it wrong :)p) so I thought I'd check the true experts. On Coates I think they fudged. She wasn't starting at the end of the year.
While I liked Coates, she often seemed out of shape and unable to go 100% for a full game. Seemed like they played better without her, particularly against smaller lineups.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While I liked Coates, she often seemed out of shape and unable to go 100% for a full game. Seemed like they played better without her, particularly against smaller lineups.

They did, undoubtedly. Dawn is not a creative thinker as a coach and the winning formula was forced upon her by circumstance. This is why I felt there were better candidates for USA coach, but she had the profile for it and I suspect it was "in the bag" almost 5 years ago.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Noirwestern was referring to Texas.

Tennessee will have about 8 or 9 HS AAs, I believe. On paper, they will look as good as anyone. If they lose more than 5, Holly should be fired.

Reaction Score
I thought Noirwestern was referring to Texas.

Tennessee will have about 8 or 9 HS AAs, I believe. On paper, they will look as good as anyone. If they lose more than 5, Holly should be fired.

Nay. I haven't seen texas as a serious threat since they opted for the, "let's recruit as many tall girls as we can find" route. Besides they've had a few good seasons in a row that might justify their higher placement where the one I'm referring to has not. Has not for a long, long time and high school AAs or not doesn't really deserve a ranking until they earn it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nay. I haven't seen texas as a serious threat since they opted for the, "let's recruit as many tall girls as we can find" route. Besides they've had a few good seasons in a row that might justify their higher placement where the one I'm referring to has not. Has not for a long, long time and high school AAs or not doesn't really deserve a ranking until they earn it.

Should Karen Aston be fired? She had a team that was loaded with talent and lost 9 games this past season.

Reaction Score
Should Karen Aston be fired? She had a team that was loaded with talent and lost 9 games this past season.
and replaced by whom? She represents the program well. And so long as Geno picks up most of the post-season marbles, ADs will be slow to punish coaches who slightly underachieve.

Reaction Score
Count me as one UCONN Fan that is not sold on Tennessee being a final four team. What has Diamond done since transferring to Tennessee? How many all-american teams has she made? Mercedes has underachieved since coming to Tennessee as the the #1 recruit in her class. Tennessee has the #1 recruiting class, but as we all know there will be a learning curve. Also the vols still have Holly who has lost 25 games in two years. Need I say more?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If Gray and Davis had not turned pro after their junior years, USC would have returned all 5 players that started in the Final Four. As it is, 3 starters from the FF will return. I think we'll still be top 5 next season, but not number 1.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Coates has had ankle surgery and it is felt that she will be out for at least part of the WNBA season. Nonetheless, interest in her as a draft choice is reportedly high.

Reaction Score
They did, undoubtedly. Dawn is not a creative thinker as a coach and the winning formula was forced upon her by circumstance. This is why I felt there were better candidates for USA coach, but she had the profile for it and I suspect it was "in the bag" almost 5 years ago.
Couldn't have said it better....Happy she got the brass ring, as both the USA coach, and the WCBB championship. But, while she'll continue to attract talent to Columbia, doubt USC will be winning the final game of the year in WCBB, unless Dawn's X's & O's improve. Can it happen? Of course. Will it? Time will tell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom