SI Preseason Frontcourts- UCONN 4th | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SI Preseason Frontcourts- UCONN 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are they seriously suggesting that Jared Sullinger and David Lighty combined are better than AO, AD, RS, and DD combined?

Lighty is gone- I think they are adding in Deshaun Thomas, who had a pretty good freshman year.

I think it's pretty hard to argue uconn over unc. And Sullinger alone makes OSU no worse than uconn. I think uconn and UK are about even, with uconn slightly ahead.

Reaction Score
Davis should be a beast for Kensucky. So they have their own version of an unstoppable beast in the paint- we will see which one is a better player as the season goes on. I am kinda sad we are not playing them again this year- I really enjoyed our interaction last year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Alex is the least heralded of the returning front court players for these four teams. They based their votes accordingly. With out a doubt, UNC's frontourt is the deepest and most experienced. I would certainly rate them number one preseason. The other three are a toss up and will be argued about all season. And Baylor's front court might be formidable as well.

I'm just happy UConn is in the discussion. AD really filled in the missing piece. The front court had a big question mark before his arrival.

Now everything hinges on guard play. The guards for all these teams will have a big say in determining whose front court is the best. They can make the front courts better or worse depending on what they can do.

This season will have a lot more hype than last year. There are five or six super teams to start off this season. Whereas last season it was Duke and nineteen interchangeable second tier teams. And we all know how things turned out last year.

So let the basketball and the season determine how things go this season. Preseason rankings and predictions are primarily to get the juices floating. They should be fun and not something that people take seriously or personally.

Reaction Score
I wonder if this is the highest front or even back-court ranking we've ever had. If my memory serves me, we rarely get much attention in these types of preseason rankings. It's always fun to see UConn listed, but frankly I don't really care. All that matters is who's left standing the longest come March.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I wonder if this is the highest front or even back-court ranking we've ever had. If my memory serves me, we rarely get much attention in these types of preseason rankings. It's always fun to see UConn listed, but frankly I don't really care. All that matters is who's left standing the longest come March.
I thought the 2003-04 team the front court was number one or two preseason.

Reaction Score
The thing that matters isn't how dominant the front court will be against inferior competition. I don't care if Davis gets 25 and 10 against Alabama or Arkansas. It's how he stacks up against the best front courts. It's HIGHLY likely that 2 of the 4 teams with the top 4 front courts will be in the tournament finals. I don't see Anthony Davis doing well against the best because how the hell can he guard a guy 40+ pounds heavier and possibly taller. Aka Drummond. That's where UConn's advantage comes in. Drummond is bigger or more athletic (almost always both) than every player in the country he could match up with. It's like Thabeet against Blair. Thabeet dominated smaller and less talented competition, but couldn't match the best in college basketball. Players like Davis and Henson will have the same problem as Thabeet. UNC may have the depth to matchup, but not Kentucky and OSU. If Sullinger is held to 12 points and 10 rebounds OSU can't beat the best competition unless someone on the teams drops 40+ out of no where.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The thing that matters isn't how dominant the front court will be against inferior competition. I don't care if Davis gets 25 and 10 against Alabama or Arkansas. It's how he stacks up against the best front courts. It's HIGHLY likely that 2 of the 4 teams with the top 4 front courts will be in the tournament finals. I don't see Anthony Davis doing well against the best because how the hell can he guard a guy 40+ pounds heavier and possibly taller. Aka Drummond. That's where UConn's advantage comes in. Drummond is bigger or more athletic (almost always both) than every player in the country he could match up with. It's like Thabeet against Blair. Thabeet dominated smaller and less talented competition, but couldn't match the best in college basketball. Players like Davis and Henson will have the same problem as Thabeet. UNC may have the depth to matchup, but not Kentucky and OSU. If Sullinger is held to 12 points and 10 rebounds OSU can't beat the best competition unless someone on the teams drops 40+ out of no where.
Those are valid arguments. I hope things play out this way.

Reaction Score
People who gives a rip who has the best front court? The best T-E-A-M WILL WIN IT IT ALL and if we have the best chemistry along the the the best chemist JC , where the other dudes are ranked doesn't matter. AD is not tested and DD RB haven't proven they can handle anything except high schoolers. AO Bazz and JL have been through the wars and we know what they are capable of. I was giddy as heck down here in the ATL because I knew the boys were special last year. Let's let the ballers decide.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone can argue with UNC being #1 going into the season. They have depth, experience, versatility, length, athleticism, etc. They obviously aren't the toughest crew in the world but it's UNC, what do we expect? They have quite a mix in their front court, no two guys are alike - Zeller, Henson, Barnes are all very different and McAdoo will be a solid banger this year IMO. That being said, if Drummond lives up to the hype he'll be far better than an interior player UNC puts on the floor.

I don't know enough about OSU's bigs outside of Sullinger to comment. UK always gets the hype because of the recruits. Jones is overrated IMO, unless he sprouted a right hand in the offseason he'll struggle as the go-to player for them. I'm anxious to see Davis, if he's strong enough this year he could be darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom