SI: Post Players Set to Take Spotlight (incl. Azura) | The Boneyard

SI: Post Players Set to Take Spotlight (incl. Azura)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This is a very good article. What I found interesting is that SI was able to get Geno to comment on all four of the players that they discussed. From the detail in his comments, it's obvious that he has watched a lot of film and done a lot of thinking about how to deal with Brown, McCowan, and even Brown+Cox. He was careful in the article to confine his comments to what WON'T work ("If the game gets to be a slugfest, we're not going to win that"), and not tip his hand as to what UConn WILL do against Baylor or Mississippi State.

About Azura, he said that she needs to block or at least alter more shots, and develop more of the defensive mentality that Stewie had. He said Azura has the length but not the bulk of the other players being discussed; hence the "slugfest" comment.

As a fan, I derive comfort from the fact that Geno's brain has obviously been at work on how to play against Brown, Cox, and McCowan.

Reaction Score
Azura has received multiple kudos for her AAC performance and rightfully so.................now let's see where she stacks up against some big time post players................keeping my fingers crossed because she will be needed

Reaction Score
Geno on Z: "As she has gotten more comfortable, we are a much different team."

This is just what we all hoped and thought in November. And now, with nearly two weeks' practice between the last couple of games where Z really showed that, indeed, UConn is a much different team with her in, and the beginning of the NCAA's, I'm eager to see how this begins to play out next weekend.

Reaction Score
Azura has received multiple kudos for her AAC performance and rightfully so.......now let's see where she stacks up against some big time post players......keeping my fingers crossed because she will be needed
As the Baylor and Texas "big time post players" went up against each other, they at times struggled. Likely fatigue an issue but also looked like they had little experience playing against 6'6". Not too many out there they can practice against and it seemed to make them think a bit more. Suspect Z will be huge in playoffs.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So who is the 5th post? I only count 4 in the article. :confused:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So who is the 5th post? I only count 4 in the article. :confused:

There's a passing reference to Mercedes Russell in the article. Maybe it's her? I'm think there's likely a photo or a infographic in the print edition that will make it clearer.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There's a passing reference to Mercedes Russell in the article. Maybe it's her? I'm think there's likely a photo or a infographic in the print edition that will make it clearer.

Oh I see, it does not say positive impact. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As the Baylor and Texas "big time post players" went up against each other, they at times struggled. Likely fatigue an issue but also looked like they had little experience playing against 6'6". Not too many out there they can practice against and it seemed to make them think a bit more. Suspect Z will be huge in playoffs.
This is true of the Texas posts, but the Baylor bigs had no trouble with Texas, even though they were the center of attention.

Reaction Score
McCowan had 10pts and 8 rb against Uconn. For her height that is not a good game. I have not seen Wilson hit the outside shots consistent basis or kick the ball out when double teamed. Azura hits her shots and rebounds like she has the last few weeks. She will be fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom