SI: Could EDD reinvigorate Delaware athletics | The Boneyard

SI: Could EDD reinvigorate Delaware athletics

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Article doesn't addresss the fundamental question of how one special player who comes and goes does much in the long-term for a school's athletic department. Answer: it doesn't. Sustained success is necessary.

Reaction Score
Article doesn't addresss the fundamental question of how one special player who comes and goes does much in the long-term for a school's athletic department. Answer: it doesn't. Sustained success is necessary.
Yeah, but why deal with reality when you've got a deadline to meet for an article?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No. I could see them getting beat down in the first NCAA game, unless they get a crazy high seed.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think that, if EDD leaves a legacy that is felt beyond her career at Delaware, it's actually going to be to other small schools' benefit. That is, if another highly rated prospect has personal reasons for wanting to stay close to home, she might say, "Hey, look at EDD. She stayed home and had great success at Delaware."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coach Martin: "She's the most skilled player I've ever coached." Really? I guess she never coached in the NBA. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Swoopes certainly had an impact at Texas Tech for many years. But west Texas was a talent-rich area back in that time and it helped TT recruit many of those players who wanted to stay close to home and had few other options within 400 miles. I doubt that EDD will have that impact on Delaware but I do agree that it could lead some top players who want to stay close to home to make that decision and bypass on the top programs that are too far away for their comfort level or who may have family situations, such as EDD's.

Reaction Score
Lets not forget our own history......Kerry Bascom!
Geno credits Kerry with beginning the success of our program.
After Kerry came to UConn, next came Rebecca Lobo (both of whom could be considered girls who stayed close to "home"....not the same state as "home" but really close in distance from home).

Of course we do have Geno..... and the rest don't!!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
With Kerry Bascom, UConn won power conference titles and made the Final Four in 1991. Geno was also credited with getting the most out of the recruits he was getting, Bascom included. It's not like Kerry was a #1 national recruit, or even close to it. Lobo saw an opportunity to be part of an emerging program close to home and jumped on it.

I think recruits are going to understand Delaware would be losing to teams like Hofstra without EDD.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
How is the athletic program at Southwest Missouri State or, as it's now called Missouri State? From Wikipedia: "Missouri State teams have made 40 NCAA championship appearances since moving to Division I in the 1982–83 season.[13] The men's basketball team reached the Sweet Sixteen in 1999, women's basketball made the Final Four in 1992 and 2001, baseball made the College World Series in 2003, and volleyball earned their 1000th win Nov. 17, 2006 (only the second team in NCAA history to do so). In 1974, the women's softball team won the AIAW national championship." Jackie Stiles was there from 1998 to 2001. It appears that her record-setting career there has not led to greater success in terms of championships.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
With Kerry Bascom, UConn won power conference titles and made the Final Four in 1991. Geno was also credited with getting the most out of the recruits he was getting, Bascom included. It's not like Kerry was a #1 national recruit, or even close to it. Lobo saw an opportunity to be part of an emerging program close to home and jumped on it.

I think recruits are going to understand Delaware would be losing to teams like Hofstra without EDD.

Without EDD, yes. But they may also take a look at Delaware and want to help carry on something that EDD has started there. I guess time will tell.

EDD will be a senior next year and Delaware has NO top 100 recruits signed to play with her in her final year. I suspect that the impact will be temporary.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How is the athletic program at Southwest Missouri State or, as it's now called Missouri State? From Wikipedia: "Missouri State teams have made 40 NCAA championship appearances since moving to Division I in the 1982–83 season.[13] The men's basketball team reached the Sweet Sixteen in 1999, women's basketball made the Final Four in 1992 and 2001, baseball made the College World Series in 2003, and volleyball earned their 1000th win Nov. 17, 2006 (only the second team in NCAA history to do so). In 1974, the women's softball team won the AIAW national championship." Jackie Stiles was there from 1998 to 2001. It appears that her record-setting career there has not led to greater success in terms of championships.

I think the question is CAN it happen, not if it does every time a spectacular player comes out of a program. To imply that just because it didn't happen at SWMS that it can't happen is not a very fair assessment.

I think that if Bone had stayed at South Carolina that she would have had a similar impact. SC is having a decent year without her but could have much better results with her and could have helped establish that program. Having Dawn Staley doesn't hurt.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Coach Martin: "She's the most skilled player I've ever coached." Really? I guess she never coached in the NBA. :)

Huh? Oh, I guess you'd say the same thing about Geno if her were to talk about Maya being the most skilled player he'd ever coached.

Honestly, the question is how good a coach is Martin and what has her AD learned about the possibilities. I look as Louisville as one example of one possible outcome. Clearly Stiles is another example -- but her coach imploded. Martin has brought some transfers in -- that's not a long term solution (see Marquette/Junior college) but there's been a huge amount of national attention and local pride. HOW Martin has handled the pressure and publicity has been impressive.

Do people think becoming the next UConn or TN is the goal? Or how about being ODU-esque in their heyday. There's a place in women's basketball for all kinds of success stories.

Reaction Score
What inpact did Bevo Francis, leave with Rio Grande College...?? He did score over 100 points in two college games...avaraged over 48 points per game .... no EDD and Deleware was a marriage of convience...Nothing more ... I wish she would of gone to Harry over at Nova....and got the break she deserves with such a gift!!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
.... no EDD and Deleware was a marriage of convience...Nothing more ... I wish she would of gone to Harry over at Nova....and got the break she deserves with such a gift!!

Wow, that's insulting -- to EDD and Delaware and all involved.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Where's the insult? It IS a marriage of convenience. EDD stated she needed to be close to home and Delaware is close to her home. It's not that she grew up with a burning desire to be a Blue Hen. She opted out of the premier college program in the country to be close to her sister and Delaware was the college education in her back yard. I don't see an insult.

Reaction Score
If successful NFL quarterback Rich Gannon had no lasting impact on UDelaware's sports profile, why would any women's basketball player have one? And if you don't believe football is that much more predominant, I refer you to the Conference Realignment Board.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If some super-wise marketing and forward planning folks had spent some money (lots), produced a plan and got some rich alumni to join in a campaign to reinvigorate the UD sports program (new facilities, superstar coaching) anything is possible. I think that they got slightly wise but certainly not big-time so.

Small market teams can do just great...Eh: Green Bay Packers, for example? gotta think big and anticipate.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know this is not popular, but the only reason EDD threads appear on this Board is because some have never gotten over the scrimmage and scram story that is EDD's history at UC. Yes, I appreciate that she was true to herself andf her sister's need, but there it ends. UD is what it is and will be just that when she departs.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm sorry you feel that way Rocky, I've always been interested in her, almost more so since she jilted us

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm sorry you feel that way Rocky, I've always been interested in her, almost more so since she jilted us

I think you made my point msf22b (an intriguing moniker BTW). And I understand the pull of the story, but, and this is not an original thought, the fact that she walked away for noble reasons does not make her career a story line for a board that follows UC WBB and may just keep tearing off the band aid for those of us who then must remember what might have been. The fact that a big fish plays in a guppy pond and rules it is only newsworthy because the fish flopped into a far bigger bowl, however briefly. Will Del. see big coverage early in the NCAAs...I have no doubt. Do I want the Blue Hens in our bracket...no, not as a challenge, but as another reminder of what was a bitter disappointment, however understandable.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Look, some of us will never get over this. So just let us do our thing. We don't hurt anyone. We are interested in her and her career. And many of us still think about what might have been, and probably will til she graduates. Sorry, but we just can't help it. We are fans...and we would have loved to have won a championship last year, and would have, you know. So we enjoy this...we just do. We can't give it a rest; and we don't even want to..so you gotta deal. It's who we are, at least some of us. And, as I said, we are harmless enough.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Look, some of us will never get over this. So just let us do our thing. We don't hurt anyone. We are interested in her and her career. And many of us still think about what might have been, and probably will til she graduates. Sorry, but we just can't help it. We are fans...and we would have loved to have won a championship last year, and would have, you know. So we enjoy this...we just do. We can't give it a rest; and we don't even want to..so you gotta deal. It's who we are, at least some of us. And, as I said, we are harmless enough.

Hey ,guess I didn't make it clear. I am one of you. Just not as well adjusted as you semper. If she goes WNBA and gets drafted away from Delaware land, does she play or does she hold out for a trade???? There I have encouraged the posting. I have embraced the horror! Thank you.:)

Reaction Score

I am not interested in EDD, no more so than any other recruit who opted to play their college ball elsewhere. But the threads are always identified as being about EDD. It is my choice, and the choice of everyone else, whether to read them. If you aren't interested, don't read. Just skip the thread and move on to those that are related specifically to UConn. I don't see the need to criticize those that are interested in her career and impact at Delaware if they choose to do so. My only preference would be that they be tagged as OT because they aren't about UConn. But if they aren't, as the saying goes, I don't sweat the small stuff.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One thing we have always done on the board is celebrate the great stories of young women who play WCBB whether at UConn or elsewhere. See the Melissa Jones story thread currently on the board. Whatever choices she made regarding a career at UConn EDD's story can always be celebrated in that vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom