SI article on Mulkey's departure from Baylor | The Boneyard

SI article on Mulkey's departure from Baylor

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's a pretty good read with quite a few tidbits I hadn't known. And gives some insight to all the friction with the Baylor AD.

"What unfolded between Rhoades and Mulkey is described not as a power struggle as much as a personality clash—two strong-willed people operating within the same orbit. One was the boss harnessing an employee; the other an employee used to being the boss."​

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
“Mulkey points to various reasons for her unprecedented decision. She chalks it up mainly to a desire to “go home” and end her career in a state where it began, where her two children were born and where she claimed six championships, four in high school and three at Louisiana Tech, as a player and an assistant coach.”

Don't know if this is SI numeracy, or a special way of counting in Louisiana, but 4+3=6 is a headscratcher.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I thought the article was pretty accurate from the facts and comments I had heard, my main quibble is the writer erred in this quote:
"Within three years, they believe Mulkey will have the Tigers as one of the country’s best programs. Maybe they’ll even rival Baylor."
The former part of the quote is probable and the latter part is wrong altogether. It will eclipse Baylor within 3 years and probably surpass them next year once Smith and Egbo leave.

I have said a few times, I don't always agree with some of Kim's comments but I respect the heck out of her, love her competitiveness and her passion for her program, her players and her family. I am a fan of hers and am happy for the LSU faithful on this board to have a program that will rival SC at some point.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Some really stark quantitative proof of how a home-run hire can energize a fanbase:

"In just a few short months, Mulkey’s impact here is obvious. Season-ticket sales hit a record at nearly 4,500, five times what they were in 2019–20. The program’s Fast Break Club, a booster organization, was at 22 members when Mulkey arrived. It’s now at 183."

Reaction Score
I'm not a Mulkey fan but think it will energize the SEC. SC needs someone to dislike and this is one that I can foresee happening. LSU won't be down for long. The SEC isn't a juggernaut but it is a physical, defensive minded league so she's not going to just run through this conference the way she the last one. Texas coming in is another one and SC fans cannot stand Vic. It's gonna be fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“Mulkey points to various reasons for her unprecedented decision. She chalks it up mainly to a desire to “go home” and end her career in a state where it began, where her two children were born and where she claimed six championships, four in high school and three at Louisiana Tech, as a player and an assistant coach.”

Don't know if this is SI numeracy, or a special way of counting in Louisiana, but 4+3=6 is a headscratcher.
I live in Louisiana. We can count just fine. I'm sure you can find another state to criticize, if you must.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some really stark quantitative proof of how a home-run hire can energize a fanbase:

"In just a few short months, Mulkey’s impact here is obvious. Season-ticket sales hit a record at nearly 4,500, five times what they were in 2019–20. The program’s Fast Break Club, a booster organization, was at 22 members when Mulkey arrived. It’s now at 183."
Attendance was probably helped by the latest giveaway. You get to keep any clothing Kim tosses into the stands. ;)

Reaction Score
;)Every since Sophie Cunningham graduated, the fans have lacked that special someone they love to hate.
And then Vic hauled butt to Texas. Enter Mulkey AND Vic.

Reaction Score

Nikki really sucked the life out of the program towards the end. Games were pretty brutal to watch (extremely low scoring games). She pissed off a lot of the boosters to the point where the numbers dwindled to near zero.

Nice to see such strong support early before she even starts forming her own team here. Never thought I would see Kim come to LSU but we are thrilled down here. The impact is certainly being felt early here. Grabbing Gusters, Morris, and Bartlett and signing a very good recruiting class. if she can get Williams on board (2023 recruit), then she can start truly gaining steam.

Reaction Score

Obviously she disowned one of the titles.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Every since Sophie Cunningham graduated, the fans have lacked that special someone they love to hate.
So true, and I've disliked Mulkey for the past 40 years, not that I'm counting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom