SI Article on 2014 QB transfers | The Boneyard

SI Article on 2014 QB transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's why not signing a qb every year can be a problem, and it concerns me that we were unable to land a qb after the Marchi situation.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will be losing one or two quarterbacks on this team to transfer in the next couple of years.

Reaction Score
huskysupporter said:
That's why not signing a qb every year can be a problem, and it concerns me that we were unable to land a qb after the Marchi situation. There is no doubt in my mind that we will be losing one or two quarterbacks on this team to transfer in the next couple of years.

Or signing too many QBs can be a problem.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

yeah, I don't know how our coaches are going to handle the players looking for time on our squad.

Reaction Score

Do you think what we have is sufficient?

We have a new coaching staff, we are going to lose several players. My guess is definitely 1 qb, possibly 2. Leaves us in a bad spot going forward.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Do you think what we have is sufficient?

We have a new coaching staff, we are going to lose several players. My guess is definitely 1 qb, possibly 2. Leaves us in a bad spot going forward.

I think we have enough QBs.

The only argument for taking 1 per year is, I suppose, attrition. The only way I see it making sense taking 1 per year as a mandatory philosophy is if you think the one you are picking up has a chance to be better than the ones that are here. Now, maybe Marchi proves me wrong on the following statement, but I haven't heard anyone argue the fact that he will be better than Cochran or Boyle, both of whom have three years of eligibility. And we have Taylor, who will have four years of eligibility. This is of course not even considering Whitmer in his final year here, which could possibly extend Boyle if he is redshirted.

For me, although it would have been nice to have Marchi, I'm not that worried...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We have more QBs than Guards.

For those that think Zoo's kidding, he's not. After losing Bullock and Greene, we have four OG's (5 if you count Basilica, but I'm not sure if he is a guard or tackle). We have 7 QBs on the roster for next year. That puts it all into perspective for those that think we have a QB numbers problem...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
When I read this, to be honest I had no idea there were actually 7 QBs in the roster...so I went and looked. You are technicially right..but..I guess you are counting Deberry and Ecke? Aren't they both walk ons? I am not sure I would really count them as part of the depth. But..to be honest I don't know that much about either of them.

Is McCummings definitely coming back? Even if he does...he is gone after this year. Whitmer is gone after this year.

So really....after this year UConn has 3 recruited QBs on it's roster...and I am willing to bet that one leaves (as much as I hope they don't). The issue is they are all the same class.

I think that is why some are concerned with QB depth. If they add a QB next year, there will be a couple year gap in experience.

I think it would have been nice to get a QB...but not a huge deal. As was stated.....you can always get a transfer if need be. Maybe Lagow is available... ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
When I read this, to be honest I had no idea there were actually 7 QBs in the roster...so I went and looked. You are technicially right..but..I guess you are counting Deberry and Ecke? Aren't they both walk ons? I am not sure I would really count them as part of the depth. But..to be honest I don't know that much about either of them.

Is McCummings definitely coming back? Even if he does...he is gone after this year. Whitmer is gone after this year.

So really....after this year UConn has 3 recruited QBs on it's roster...and I am willing to bet that one leaves (as much as I hope they don't). The issue is they are all the same class.

I think that is why some are concerned with QB depth. If they add a QB next year, there will be a couple year gap in experience.

I think it would have been nice to get a QB...but not a huge deal. As was stated.....you can always get a transfer if need be. Maybe Lagow is available... ;)

I was counting Deberry and Ecke. But even without them, let's go with the 5 QB number: Yes, Whitmer and McCummings will both be done after next year, which will leave Cochran with 2 more years eligibility and Boyle and Taylor 3 each (assuming Boyle redshirts).

Which means that a 2015 QB recruit(s) will still have 2 years to acclimate to the system. That's why I'm not worried. And I keep hearing this idea of "impending QB transfer" from the program, and I haven't the slightest clue where it's coming from. Lagow's transfer in my mind almost ensures that nobody else will. We are going to have a few years of Cochran, Boyle, and Taylor...which is pretty good...

Reaction Score
I was counting Deberry and Ecke. But even without them, let's go with the 5 QB number: Yes, Whitmer and McCummings will both be done after next year, which will leave Cochran with 2 more years eligibility and Boyle and Taylor 3 each (assuming Boyle redshirts).

Which means that a 2015 QB recruit(s) will still have 2 years to acclimate to the system. That's why I'm not worried. And I keep hearing this idea of "impending QB transfer" from the program, and I haven't the slightest clue where it's coming from. Lagow's transfer in my mind almost ensures that nobody else will. We are going to have a few years of Cochran, Boyle, and Taylor...which is pretty good...

Totally agree with you. In my eyes, Cochran has the starting job at least for now. I think Boyle and Taylor will stick around because Diaco will convince them to. IMO, Boyle is the starter in waiting. He just needs to mature and work on his game and he can do some great things. I'll admit though, I don't know much about Taylor so I can't give any opinion on him. Can anyone give me a little background on him?

Reaction Score
I agree with Dan on this. We're in pretty good shape. Assuming Cochran is the starter, he's got 2 backups with game experience, and maybe you redshirt Boyle if things work out. Then you have a senior starter when Cochran is done. You can go out and get the type of quarterback you want for the system you want to run going forward next year. I suspect that Marchi wasn't the style Diaco wanted, though I don't know that for sure. And if you need a backup somewhere along the way, there are competent JUCO quarterbacks available every year that you can bring in either to get you through a season or 2 or to serve as a backup if you are concerned about depth.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I don't think anyone is saying "impending QB transfer" because that infers someone has already made a decision. I am just thinking that a transfer is a possibility and that having a QB on board this year would have been beneficial. Also QB transfers happen all the time to all schools..no reason to think UConn will be immune.

But..again....I dont' think it is a huge issue and there is always the option of an incoming transfer if it does become an issue.

Reaction Score
I look at it like this - if we end up like Wisconsin where everything is in place but we need a QB we will get one. Our one BCS bowl was with Frazier (ND transfer). So I trust HCBD to ensure we have the right number of QBs. This definitely isn't an issue for 2014 (or probably 2015). So I'll worry about it when I feel like he doesn't have it under control.

Reaction Score
For those that think Zoo's kidding, he's not. After losing Bullock and Greene, we have four OG's (5 if you count Basilica, but I'm not sure if he is a guard or tackle). We have 7 QBs on the roster for next year. That puts it all into perspective for those that think we have a QB numbers problem...

With the new workout regimen maybe Paul or Bockeloh emerge as options at guard or maybe they take over the center position and allow Mateus to move to guard.

Reaction Score
If you are the fifth QB on the depth chart or even the fourth, how do you get meaningful reps? How do you develop?

I would rather song one quality recruit a year at the QB position than recruit two every year. Some years you may need to bring in two, but that shouldn't be the norm.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
With the new workout regimen maybe Paul or Bockeloh emerge as options at guard or maybe they take over the center position and allow Mateus to move to guard.

I think Mateas is a lock for center, but Paull or Bockeloh might be options for the guard spot. I suppose we'll get a little glimpse of what the plan is at the guard spot once the Spring Game arrives...

Reaction Score
UConn absolutely can never take its foot off the pedal when it comes to recruiting QB's. We just have gone too long without a top notch QB. Having said that, I am very much encouraged by Cochran. He was terrific down the stretch and turned UConn into "Air Huskies". Also Boyle really looks like he can be the goods. These two make for a ton of optimism. That we said . . . . a QB must always be included in each recruiting class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom