SHOUT OUT ... | The Boneyard

SHOUT OUT ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
… to UConn's strength and conditioning staff and program.

A too long (semi) hidden factor in UConn's success is the strength and conditioning program. Big game after big game ours out runs, out hustles, and out dives theirs. They don't foul, which you can only do (and still play superior defense) if you are in superior shape.

One standard matrix for analyzing a matchup is to pit their bench against ours. However, that is a false measuring stick because if need be our 5 will out run, our hustle, and out dive your 10. In the South Carolina game they did just that: KML 37 minutes; Stewie 37; Tuck 35; MoJet 38.

So the question is never "Can our bench outplay yours?" The question is "Can your bench outplay our starting five after 10 or 15 minutes?" The answer is obvious since your starting five can't outplay our starting five in the first 10 or 15 minutes and our starting five can go harder longer than anyone on your team at any point in the game.

That is a credit to our coaching, the team's hard work and grit, and an amazing strength and conditioning staff and program. Woohoo!

Reaction Score
During the game I was thinking that some of the SC players looked tired (deep bench and all) while the UConn players looked like they could play another 40 min. If needed

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
During the game I was thinking that some of the SC players looked tired (deep bench and all) while the UConn players looked like they could play another 40 min. If needed
When they interviewed Stewie after the game, she mentioned going on a run because SC was tired. That run came in the first half. I find it hard to believe SC was tired that early on, but apparently they were.

Also we only outscored them by 9 in the 2nd half - was SC suddenly less tired in the 2nd half?

I think of course that we are fitter than SC, and anyone else out there. But I also think SC was more mentally fatigued. UCONN's constant pressure and intensity takes its' toll in more ways than just physical, and when SC's game devolved into Welch and Mitchell taking high degree of difficulty shots (and making a good amount of them), I knew SC was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom