Shout out to the refs... | The Boneyard

Shout out to the refs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I watched the game last night, of course, and saw on the BY game thread several lamenting Dee Kantner, and one pointing out after her first foul call (against Stef or Bria), that "Dee is trying to insert herself into the game" or something like that. I'll admit it had me worried.

Well, a few thoughts. First, Kudos to the reffing crew. Not sure that Geno's comments leading up to the game about "being worried about how the refs would call the game" had any impact, but certainly the game was played cleanly, and the fouls and disruptions were a minimum.

Second, even some of the close out of bounds plays were right on the money from the refs - they were right on top of the play, and when i rewound to watch it over, saw the refs got it right.

Third, they let the players "play" and let the outcome be decided by the teams. There was no "evening out" of UCONN's dominance by calling ticky-tacky fouls against us, and I didn't see a lot of flopping by ND to cause them to have to make a decision on what to do. I didn't think the game was "overly physical", just 2 great teams battling it out for the NC.

I don't remember seeing a game where I pretty much felt the refs did everything right, but for all the grief we've given them over the years, I wanted to acknowledge how much I appreciated their restrained efforts.

Reaction Score
On more then one occasion a saw a player fall over from little to no contact... get up, looking at the ref like "I was fouled" but there was no whistle.

Really appreciated the way the game was called. Let the players decide who wins, not the refs.

Reaction Score
The ref's did a good job letting the players decide the outcome. There were a few questionable calls, but in that environment it's expected. Good job from a fellow ref.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Refs were largely seen but not heard. There were quite a number of plays where I thought surely there would be a whistle, and there was none.

By my estimation, they [appropriately] "let 'em play" in the Final, in agreement with the OP

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't remember seeing a game where I pretty much felt the refs did everything right, but for all the grief we've given them over the years, I wanted to acknowledge how much I appreciated their restrained efforts.

+1.

Surprised <happily!> that my pre-game concerns were 100% wrong; on this night the "creme de la creme" of women's basketball referees - Lisa Mattingly (who has had more than her share of controversial calls), Dee Kantner (see Mattingly) and Denise Brooks got it right.

When was the last time UConn shot more free throws (15-10) and committed less fouls (12-14) in a game with ND?

Interesting dynamic. I think it was Mattingly who offered Stewart almost a maternal "pat on the back" as she returned from running off the court under the baseline. There was the broad smile Mattingly displayed handing the ball to McBride under the basket after separating her from Jefferson who was guarding McBride so intently, she was appeared to be trying to prevent her from even getting to where she could inbound the ball.

Absolutely extraordinary night all around...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One of the best officiated games all year. I am often hard on the officials but last night they got it done.

Reaction Score
On more then one occasion a saw a player fall over from little to no contact... get up, looking at the ref like "I was fouled" but there was no whistle.

Really appreciated the way the game was called. Let the players decide who wins, not the refs.

I agree, it was almost as if the rules were changed for the game. The quick whistle has been hurting the game, taking key players out of the game, and hoping scoring increases. I am sure ESPN has complained about the length of the games due to all the fouls............ money talks

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Agree completely with everyone. I am gratified to see the refs did their homework and were prepared to ignore the flops. Mabrey, Cabel and Lloyd were all taking their turns but it didn't work.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I do remember after Mabrey first came in she executed an absurd flop on a defensive rebound that Stewie pulled down
and was completely ignored by all; refs, UConn. her team.

Set a perfect tone

That was so gratifying. I howled with laughter that flop was so over the top. The look on Mabrey's face was priceless.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno's inoculation comments worked. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno's inoculation comments worked.

I would submit the surprisingly broad, universally negative reaction to the Baylor game might have had something to do with it. Especially given the platform and the potentially largest viewing audience in WCBB history.

Either way - can't argue with the results!!! ;)

HGN

Reaction Score
For the first time in a long time in a UConn game I didn't really notice the refs............which was a good thing. Which meant they weren't inserted themselves in the game so much to alter the outcome. And thus , I didn't find myself shouting at my TV.

So kudos to the ref for staying out of it, sort of.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% . There were a few flops and they were totally ignored by the refs. A welcomed relief from the usual whistle blowing contest.
i saw the flopping of Jewell Loyd under the basket....it was good the refs did not buy it...and some instances of other ND players that flops but the refs just ignored them...if the refs bought it... its gonna be a different story....it's gonna be a rain of flopps....

Reaction Score
+1.

Surprised <happily!> that my pre-game concerns were 100% wrong; on this night the "creme de la creme" of women's basketball referees - Lisa Mattingly (who has had more than her share of controversial calls), Dee Kantner (see Mattingly) and Denise Brooks got it right.

When was the last time UConn shot more free throws (15-10) and committed less fouls (12-14) in a game with ND?

Interesting dynamic. I think it was Mattingly who offered Stewart almost a maternal "pat on the back" as she returned from running off the court under the baseline. There was the broad smile Mattingly displayed handing the ball to McBride under the basket after separating her from Jefferson who was guarding McBride so intently, she was appeared to be trying to prevent her from even getting to where she could inbound the ball.

Absolutely extraordinary night all around...
i never recall a game when we had more free throws against ND in the last couple years....this time those ND floppings did not work with the referees....That's very good...

Reaction Score
One of the funnier flops I recall was when Mabrey came down court and pulled up for a three. A UConn player had run past her to get back on defense, and a ND player ran past her after the UConn player, trying to get into her position when Mabrey launched a three and promptly took a seat on the court in the most awkward comical flop ever seen. There was no one even close to touching her, and if anyone touched her it was her own teammate.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I will say also that both teams play smart defense. They are not typically reaching/grabbing and seldom hand checking so that reduces the chance of the ticky tack fouls.
I also think that while a few charge call 'flops' occurred, they occur in every game and every team tries for them - I did not think they were egregious in this game and often did involve actual contact (that did not amount to a charge/block.) And the discrepancy in fouls definitely had to do with ND seldom driving to the basket because with Natalie missing the freedom of movement for the Uconn blockers made those drives a hopeless proposition. Jump shots just don't draw fouls. At the other end, Uconn was pounding inside against over matched defenders and that leads to fouls.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think the refs let the players "decide the game" because the players played a smart game and din't foul. When players DON'T play a smart game they "decide the game" by making plays that ask for whistles.

Smart players, smart coaches... less whistles.

Reaction Score
One sort of amusing moment related to refs: I watched the game again, and after Stewie's amazing stretch save of a ball going out of bounds, she bounced off the basket post and ran back into the court because the play was still going on. On the way back, I'm pretty sure one of the refs gave her a pat, as if acknowledging, "OK, that was good."

Reaction Score

I think the refs let the players "decide the game" because the players played a smart game and din't foul. When players DON'T play a smart game they "decide the game" by making plays that ask for whistles.

Smart players, smart coaches... less whistles.

Halfway through the first half of last year’s final four game, Doris noted that Skylar Diggins “looks over at Dee Kantner pleading for a foul call – Dee puts up a finger, and basically says no…”

I don't think it's any accident that Dee Kantner reffed this game. Doris Burke made it a point several times last year that in the wake of the Louisville - Baylor game, she believed that Dee’s crew was chosen specifically to work what was likely the de-facto championship game in the semis between Connecticut and Notre Dame. In light of this year’s Baylor – Notre Dame game, it’s not a surprise that she again was assigned the game between Connecticut and Notre Dame.

We have been lucky in the last two Final Fours in that the referees have called pretty good games – not perfect, but pretty good. They let both teams play without letting the games get out of control, or even worse, losing control and then calling every crappy ticky-tack to get back in control. At least in this setting, Dee’s been good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom