Shout Out to Justin Lewis | The Boneyard

Shout Out to Justin Lewis

Reaction Score
This kid is a beast and really took it at us for a freshman. Easy to see him being Big East All Freshman team or better. He was a joy to watch despite being on the other team.
He's going to be one of those excellent four year Big East players that might never become a big time NBA player but will go down as an all-time great on their respective team. I'm looking at you, Paul Scruggs, Collin Gillespie and Nate Watson.

Reaction Score
Yeah he was really impressive. As an undersized freshman forward, he repeatedly posted up our DPOY graduate center and scored. So physical.

Rare to see a non-5 star freshman leading a good team in scoring. Will be big if he starts hitting some more three's. He looked pretty good shooting free throws.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
He's going to be one of those excellent four year Big East players that might never become a big time NBA player but will go down as an all-time great on their respective team. I'm looking at you, Paul Scruggs, Collin Gillespie and Nate Watson.
Justin Lewis has come up in quite a few mock drafts that i’ve seen. I was actually just reading the latest ESPN one and if I remember correctly they have him as a late first/early second rounder. Will be curious to see if he takes that chance or comes back to college. Either way, such a solid player and really fun to watch (when he’s not playing against us).

Reaction Score
He's a second year player (you might recall his tip in last year to beat Wisconsin) with pro potential.

I'd be be surprised if he stays four years. Depends in part on the development of his 3 point shot. Definitely a beast. Those shoulders!

Reaction Score
am i missing something here? i also could have sworn that this kid is a freshman, but both espn and basketball reference say that he played last year. same hs class as andre jackson.

Marquette’s website lists him as a redshirt freshmen. But yeah he played last year and dropped 14 pts on us in February apparently.

Reaction Score
Marquette’s website lists him as a redshirt freshmen. But yeah he played last year and dropped 14 pts on us in February apparently.

Damn, I completely forgot about that. Here's the box score: Marquette vs. UConn - Box Score - February 27, 2021 - ESPN

Only two guys from that Marquette team played yesterday, Lewis and Elliott. Completely new team.

Reaction Score
I thought him along with the rest of the Marquette team were a lot of fun to watch. Kolek has some shooting and defensive issues but his passing was also really enjoyable. I’m real confident Shaka is going to be great for that program.

Reaction Score
Now we can add him to the list of players I loathe…

1640190698187.gif

Just kidding. Kid is a baller!

Reaction Score
Marquette really was the perfect spot for Shaka. A step up from VCU, without the trappings and expectation of TX, where it is, oddly enough, really challenging to win consistently.

Reaction Score
It seems like the entire world has somehow confused the eligibility of Justin Lewis. ESPN lists him as freshman. If it's because of the extra eligibility due to Covid, why aren't our sophomores listed as freshman.

I spent about 30 seconds searching for the answer. I ran into the following article about Morsell transferring to Marquette. Lewis is referred to as a sophomore in the article.

Morsell Transfers to Marquette

The inconsistency is odd. Maybe this is one of those Mandela Effect things.....

Edit: I think the answer is simply how Marquette classifies their players. I looked at their website. The eligibility of most of their players includes "redshirt". There are no sophomores, juniors or seniors. Everyone is either a redshirt something, a freshman or a graduate student. So I think they just classified everyone who benefits from the extra Covid eligibility as a redshirt something. ESPN probably just echoes whatever the school says.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Marquette really was the perfect spot for Shaka. A step up from VCU, without the trappings and expectation of TX, where it is, oddly enough, really challenging to win consistently.
I think Chris Beard is going to do really well at UT

Reaction Score
am i missing something here? i also could have sworn that this kid is a freshman, but both espn and basketball reference say that he played last year. same hs class as andre jackson.

iirc we offered him. ranked #106 in the class of '20. has really outplayed his borderline 4* ranking. best player on the floor last night according to hurley.

Reaction Score
We had no answer for him, maybe a healthy Sanogo?

Reaction Score
It seems like the entire world has somehow confused the eligibility of Justin Lewis. ESPN lists him as freshman. If it's because of the extra eligibility due to Covid, why aren't our sophomores listed as freshman.

I spent about 30 seconds searching for the answer. I ran into the following article about Morsell transferring to Marquette. Lewis is referred to as a sophomore in the article.

Morsell Transfers to Marquette

The inconsistency is odd. Maybe this is one of those Mandela Effect things.....

Edit: I think the answer is simply how Marquette classifies their players. I looked at their website. The eligibility of most of their players includes "redshirt". There are no sophomores, juniors or seniors. Everyone is either a redshirt something, a freshman or a graduate student. So I think they just classified everyone who benefits from the extra Covid eligibility as a redshirt something. ESPN probably just echoes whatever the school says.

Yep, this is your answer here. He's a soph but for some reason Marquette lists their players differently than all the other BE teams (it's a mix elsewhere in Div1). Very confusing for people who are trying to look in from the outside. ESPN should know better though, it's just laziness on their part. They report MU as having 9 freshmen when it's really 5 and 4.

The kid does have game though! And a great mix of size and strength. Just needs to work on his outside shot and a few other things and he should be NBA talent.

Reaction Score
iirc we offered him. ranked #106 in the class of '20. has really outplayed his borderline 4* ranking. best player on the floor last night according to hurley.
Did anyone ask Hurley "what does Lewis do that blows you away now that you, you, maybe no one saw...?" I mean, he did get Sanogo. :cool:

Reaction Score
He's good. I thought that Garcia was better, that kid could play.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I thought he was impressive but I noticed that he was getting away with murder charging into and almost through Whaley. Perhaps it's me but Sanogo and often Whaley seemingly get called for every little thing and this kid literally through his shoulder hard into Whaley's chest and no call. Reminds me of Gillespie "backing down" defenders. For some reason some guys don't get called for charging. It's up to refs to set the tone fairly for what is and what is not permissible. I don't blame the kid. He should keep doing it until they stop him. He had two charging (shoulder) fouls on that particular play. Box score? 2 for the whole game.

Reaction Score
I thought he was impressive but I noticed that he was getting away with murder charging into and almost through Whaley. Perhaps it's me but Sanogo and often Whaley seemingly get called for every little thing and this kid literally through his shoulder hard into Whaley's chest and no call. Reminds me of Gillespie "backing down" defenders. For some reason some guys don't get called for charging. It's up to refs to set the tone fairly for what is and what is not permissible. I don't blame the kid. He should keep doing it until they stop him. He had two charging (shoulder) fouls on that particular play. Box score? 2 for the whole game.
Not only did Lewis get away with it, Whaley got rung up for it! What is Whaley supposed to do when he gets called for being bowled into?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom