Should NCAA tournament go back to 64 teams? | The Boneyard

Should NCAA tournament go back to 64 teams?

Should NCAA Tourney go back to 64 teams?

• Total voters

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Almost every year, we hear that the bubble is too weak. Hmmm... I wonder why? Could it be that there are too many teams in the field. Also, the opening round is pointless and it severely disadvantages the teams that win it because they have to play 3 games to get to the Sweet 16. 64 is a neat, clean number and gets rid of the play-in games. Plus, who wants to wait until late Wednesday night to know the identity of all 64 games when filling out a bracket. Having it set in stone would help with picking games. One of the teams in the play-in could be a bad matchup for the team they would face in the 1st round while the other maybe would not.

Reaction Score
I would prefer the field of 64 but I dont have a problem with the way its set up I have no problem with it at all just dont add more teams to the field, leave it the way it is. It worked out for VCU they were in the play in game the year they went to the FF. I do like the fact that you can get right into the tournament after selection Sunday you have Monday then you get right into it on a Tuesday, Wednesday it makes it quicker for the Thursday of the start of the field of 64.

Reaction Score
No sport is ever reducing the amount of post season teams/game. Less games=less money. I say this as someone that would like to see most sports revert back to old ways with less play-off rounds. But I know in reality that most sports would reduce the regular season and add more play-off rounds before they cut post season games.

Reaction Score
I kinda like the first four. I almost never watch it, but I like the little appetizer before the main course.

Reaction Score
^^^^ I have no issue with the 68 but I think it should be the "last four in" who play for the right to be in... If you win your conference tourney, even to be a 16 seed, you shouldn't have to play an extra game prior. You earned a pass. Plus, one of these years a 16 is going to be a 1; making them play prior diminishes that shot.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The whole thing is pretty idiotic from a competition standpoint. I understand why they do it (money, obviously) but the only time I think I ever watched it was when USF was in it maybe 5 years ago and then Tulsa's game last season.

Agree with everyone else that said if you win your conference tourney, you should be guaranteed a "real" NCAA Tournament game and not this play-in BS.

Reaction Score
Devil's advocate for the small guys:

Winning the play-in game gets you both exposure AND a tournament unit (a few million $) for your conference.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I don't mind 68, but i do mind the auto-bids being half of the first four.

Make the first four all at-large, and i can live with the outcome.

64 was better, but that ship sailed.
this x1000000

it sucks for the 16 seeds to be tossed into this. They don't even get to experience the real tournament. First four simply should be the last 8 bubble teams trying to play their way into the tournament. Auto bids should be excluded from it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Devil's advocate for the small guys:

Winning the play-in game gets you both exposure AND a tournament unit (a few million $) for your conference.

This is a very fair point.

Reaction Score
I e said that since the plain game was invented. You earn your league bid you should get a real NCAA bid. It should always always always be bubble teams playing in. They have earned only the right to play for a spot. The league champs have earned their spot. Calling it the first round doesn't fool
Anyone. Of course the ACC or Big 10 might not get their 7th best team into the field but hey, that's life.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If anything they should expand by 4 so each region has a first 4 participant
With 68 teams, I believe each region does indeed have a first 4 participant. The only difference is what seed they are playing for. Are you talking about location? I don't think that matters because the First 4 are played in Dayton.

Reaction Score
With 68 teams, I believe each region does indeed have a first 4 participant. The only difference is what seed they are playing for. Are you talking about location? I don't think that matters because the First 4 are played in Dayton.

Not necessarily. Last year each region didn't have a participant. Last year the East had 2 games and the South and West had 1 game. The Mid west didn't have a participant.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Last year each region didn't have a participant. Last year the East had 2 games and the South and West had 1 game. The Mid west didn't have a participant.
I stand corrected.

Okay, then every region should have a play in game. With 68 teams and 4 "First 4" games, they certainly have the ability, but of course we are talking about the NCAA, where there is no method to their madness.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I agree with everyone basically. You win your conference tournament you should be in the 64. Heck I wouldn't mind if they expanded the play in. There's always a handful of teams with basically the same resume.. There are 351 schools... adding an extra couple more teams wont hurt anyone... going to 128 would be too many though.

Reaction Score
There's no logic to these posts other than an appeal to someone else's pride, which is... weird.

Reaction Score
Almost every year, we hear that the bubble is too weak. Hmmm... I wonder why? Could it be that there are too many teams in the field. Also, the opening round is pointless and it severely disadvantages the teams that win it because they have to play 3 games to get to the Sweet 16. 64 is a neat, clean number and gets rid of the play-in games. Plus, who wants to wait until late Wednesday night to know the identity of all 64 games when filling out a bracket. Having it set in stone would help with picking games. One of the teams in the play-in could be a bad matchup for the team they would face in the 1st round while the other maybe would not.
The simplicity and elegance of the 64 team field was so nice. I hate the "first four" and I refuse to call the first round games "second round" games. The extra 4 teams were added to weaken the bubble, so the committee could squeeze in a few more major conference teams that ordinarily wouldn't deserve to get in. One of my favorite parts of March Madness is how some little known team could pull off an incredible run in their conference tourney and sneak into the big dance - but now these teams just get shunted into the JV league "First Four" and I think that sucks. If you win your conference tournament, you should get to play in the actual first round.

Reaction Score
The thing about the play in games is that no one cares about them. On Thursday and Friday, you latch onto a 2/15 or 1/16 game that is closer than it is supposed to be. If you've ever been to a tourney first round, no matter who the high seed is, the crowd immediately falls behind them. So, even the games that "should be easy" can be entertaining. The play in games are before Thursday and appears disconnected to the "real outcome" of the brackets.

Reaction Score
^^^^ I have no issue with the 68 but I think it should be the "last four in" who play for the right to be in... If you win your conference tourney, even to be a 16 seed, you shouldn't have to play an extra game prior. You earned a pass. Plus, one of these years a 16 is going to be a 1; making them play prior diminishes that shot.
Not sure I agree. The 16th seed is no pass when your 1st game is vs #1. Playing the "last 4 in" game gives you a great chance for an NCAA Tournament Victory.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
No matter how we slice it, someone won't be happy. Just leave it at 68. It's fine.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. The 16th seed is no pass when your 1st game is vs #1. Playing the "last 4 in" game gives you a great chance for an NCAA Tournament Victory.
Yea, that's true. But imagine you win your tournament - time for the Big Dance! Except you actually only get to go to the pre-party, and you lose, and your "tournament" is completely over before the fun even begins.

Reaction Score
And say you are Central and you win your tourney and have a shot to play Gonzaga or Duke or Villanova or somebody you usually only see on tv. Only thanks to the first 4 now your trip to the dance ends with Texas Southern. Let the first 4 be for bubble teams.

Reaction Score
And say you are Central and you win your tourney and have a shot to play Gonzaga or Duke or Villanova or somebody you usually only see on tv. Only thanks to the first 4 now your trip to the dance ends with Texas Southern. Let the first 4 be for bubble teams.
Yes! This is the only way I'd agree with having a "First 4"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom