Should Kia be a Finalist for Nancy Lieberman Award | The Boneyard

Should Kia be a Finalist for Nancy Lieberman Award

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, if you are going by strength of schedule and impact especially since the list includes Ashley Deary of Northwestern & Feyonda Fitzgerald of Temple.

No, if you are going strictly by the numbers.
Deary: 11.2 points, 6.7 assists, 3.8 rebounds per game.
Nurse: 13.1 points, 4.3 assists, 2.5 rebounds per game.
Fitzgerald: 16.6 7.3 Assists 3.6 rebounds per game

Yes if you are asking me!

HGN

Reaction Score
This is going to be one tough Award to hand out because there is not one player that's a Total Package. You have a mixed bag of scorer's (Plum , Mitchell) ; Shoot first point guards ; 2-guards that are not really point guards ; Distributors ( Allen , Canada ) ; Combo 's ( Jones , Brown).....etc. There are no Sue Bird's , Robinson's , Lawson's, Latta's , etc.

As for Kia , I see Kia falling into the Combo category. She is whatever you need her to be in the game. She can shoot it , distribute , and handle. And she is 6'0. More 2 guard size , which is what she plays in UConn's offense.

I just see no clear cut favorites. Not like when you had Moriah who was a clear point guard with IMPACT on both ends of the court.

JMHO.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It will come down to Lindsay Allen and Jordin Canada IMO.

I would like to see Canada get it. I watch a lot PAC12 games and she is a nice PG. She is definitely a scoring PG. She is great defensively and her overall game is nice.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'm a bit surprised to see Deary of Northwestern on this list instead of Tyra Buss. Deary averages about 7 fewer points per game but 2 more assists per game. I would think 7 points are worth more than 2 assists.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I'm a bit surprised to see Deary of Northwestern on this list instead of Tyra Buss. Deary averages about 7 fewer points per game but 2 more assists per game. I would think 7 points are worth more than 2 assists.

Kinda depends on shots taken, turnovers, fouls, rebounds, etc.. I'm not saying you aren't correct, I just saying that points, without context, is an imperfect measure.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Kinda depends on shots taken, turnovers, fouls, rebounds, etc.. I'm not saying you aren't correct, I just saying that points, without context, is an imperfect measure.

Yes indeed. My statement was partly tongue-in-cheek, and I admit I'm an unqualified critic because I'm both partial toward Tyra and unfamiliar with Deary. (In fact I have yet to watch Northwestern play this year, other than some highlight clips.)

Deary: 11.2 ppg, 38.2% FG, 23.8% 3pt, 73.6% FT (64 of 87) ... 6.7 apg, 2.4 a/to, 4.0 steals pg, 1.8 PF pg.
Buss: 18.5 ppg, 42.4% FG, 35.7% 3pt, 80.7% FT (117 of 145) ... 4.7 apg, 1.8 a/to, 2.5 steals pg, 2.6 PF pg.

Buss has a very significant edge in scoring and scoring efficiency, and gets to the foul line far more often. But in terms of assists and a/to ratio and fouls committed, Deary is in the lead.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Lexie Brown hands down she has been able to make coach P game
watchable again.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Allen deserves it. She always provides what the team needs, and without self-aggrandizement. She's been the best winner. Most importantly, she's done it consistently over four years. She deserves the recognition.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well if she hands out those 2 assists to 3 pt shooters, who get an And1, then make those FTs....that's 8 points. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
One could argue that Kia should be included. She is the default "field general" on the best team in WCBB and has never lost a game as a starter. On this team she is 4th in points, 2nd in assists, 2nd in A/TO ratio, and is 1st in FT%. She is shooting at .458 from the field and a healthy .427 from behind the arc. I think her stats are worthy of consideration although I don't see her having much of a chance to win the award.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I'd take the combo of Chong and Nurse as a shared 1 and 2 with shared responsibilities over any one player on this list. Perhaps aside, each may not have a strong case for inclusion. However, when you have the nation's leader in ATO in Saniya working alongside a stone-cold go at it kind of guard in Nurse you end up with a very nice backcourt. Consistent. Controlled. Sets just the right pace. The UCONN pace. Shoot 3s rather well (over 40%) and can slice to the rim.

I believe, had each only averaged a few more pts and assists, both Saniya and Kia would make this list. We just happen to have a few unnamed super sophs that have scored their fair share of points. ;) The way in which the starting 5 have been playing in synch is, IMHO, incredibly more important than this list. Drive for 5 !

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No problem with Kia not being included as I don't think of her as a PG (and yeah, not sure I would include some of the others either for that reason, too) Think it will come down to Plum, Allen, and Canada probably.

I suspect that Kia is one of those UConn players that will miss out on individual accolades because of the team concept and her contributions being leadership and defense above offense and 'stats'. She falls into the Kelly/Asjha/Jamelle group that will have been essential to UConn success and likely not up on the wall. And I don't think that is a bad thing or 'unfair', she will be represented by banners and championship plaques which is the most important thing for any UConn player.

Reaction Score
Kia doesn't really fit the narrower criteria for this point guard award. Sue Bird did win the first Award in 2000 when she was second to Shea Ralph in assists on the team, but I would think that was the only time the winner didn't lead her team in assists.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'd take the combo of Chong and Nurse as a shared 1 and 2 with shared responsibilities over any one player on this list. Perhaps aside, each may not have a strong case for inclusion. However, when you have the nation's leader in ATO in Saniya working alongside a stone-cold go at it kind of guard in Nurse you end up with a very nice backcourt. Consistent. Controlled. Sets just the right pace. The UCONN pace. Shoot 3s rather well (over 40%) and can slice to the rim.

Nevermind the combo over any one player on the list. Within the UConn system, I'd take them over any backcourt in the nation.

And why is it Alexis Jones from Baylor rather than Kristy Wallace on the list? Wallace has been running the show since pretty early in the season.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen Brooke McCarty of Texas this year? Like last night? It can be easy to forget about her and think of her as the seventh grader she looks like.

Reaction Score

I believe, had each only averaged a few more pts and assists, both Saniya and Kia would make this list. We just happen to have a few unnamed super sophs that have scored their fair share of points. ;) The way in which the starting 5 have been playing in synch is, IMHO, incredibly more important than this list. Drive for 5 !
I agree with you completely. The fact that UConn's players are so unselfish is why they are often overlooked for awards, especially the weekly awards (conference, ESPN, etc.). But that's ok with me - I'll take the championships over the awards every time!:D

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Allen deserves it. She always provides what the team needs, and without self-aggrandizement. She's been the best winner. Most importantly, she's done it consistently over four years. She deserves the recognition.

How is Leticia Romero not on this list?

10 Leticia Romero...... Rebounds 86 Assists 82 Points Per Game 13.2

I missed this thread earlier but was perusing the ND Board and saw a few things brought up that I felt were worth adding to the discussion. Before doing that, WBB -- in no way am I doing this to compare against Romero. I think she should be on that list, as well (if Romero does not play or play well, good opponents win). I do it just to pinpoint a few of the kind of year Allen is quietly having. Two highlights:
- She had her first double-double ever. And it was for assists and rebounds (she scored 8 points).
- She is second on the team in overall rebounds and defensive rebounds.

- Plays 33.9 minutes a game, by far the most on the team;
- Averages 8.8 ppg with overall FG percentage of .492 and FT percentage of .63 (probably her one weak point)
- Has 132 rebounds per game (5.3 per game), with 113 of those being defensive rebounds;
- Dished out 193 assists (7.7 per game), the last few of which moved into 2nd place on the all-time ND charts; and,
- Accumulated 59 steals (2.4 per game).

She can score more when necessary (15 against Louisville), but with scorers throughout the lineup and bench, she concentrates on getting the ball to Turner, Ogunbowale, Mabrey, Westbeld, Young and Boley.

Earlier in the season, I was hoping she'd take more charge of the undergrads (Mabrey, Ogunbowae) and frosh (Boely, Young) a bit more forcefully (like Michaela Mabrey and Maddie Cable had the year before), but she's getting the ship in order more and more as we get into a stretch run. She's efficient, good and a class act. Not that the last one counts in the voting, but we fans appreciate it...and will miss it after this season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This is Plum's award and easily so. Seems to me she has the most media "buzz" and she has the gaudy stats to back it up.

30.9 ppg, 53.0 FG%, 44.7 3FG% 89.3 FT% plus 5.1 assists per game with an a 2/1 assist-turnover ratio.

She's taking almost 2x the amount of shots as anyone else on her team, which you might consider a red flag until you see those shooting percentages. Everyone knows what is coming and she still gets hers. Very possibly the NPOY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom