Should Benedict or a Search Committee Choose the HC? | The Boneyard

Should Benedict or a Search Committee Choose the HC?

Reaction Score
It sounds like Benedict wants to choose the next football Head Coach.
Is that the best thing for UConn?
Or, perhaps, investing in a Search Committee?
Personally, I think Benedict needs to spend every waking hours pounding the bushes for a respectable salary to pay the new coach. If he's not fund raising, he needs to start fund raising. Plenty of people say Benedict made the Hurley hire based on Jon Rothstein's tweets.
If UConn football exists beyond this year, it's next hire will be an existential hire. Because if the next guy fails, it's done.
So, my vote is for a search committee.
My objective choice for a Search Firm would be to employ Collegiate Sports Associates. If Dave doesn't have them on speed dial, he needs to.

Reaction Score
My vote is for DB. Search Committee is good for recommending a short list. AD chooses.
Agreed. We need a village of networking and connections being made and then at the end of the day DB needs to make the right choice (I have faith he'll do the best job he can).

Reaction Score
Did a search committee hire Katsouleas? How did that work out? Pretty good for him financially but not for UConn or the taxpayers. I am hoping AD DB will make the right choice. I have no faith in a committee. Especially if a politician is on it.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think Benedict needs to spend every waking hours pounding the bushes for a respectable salary to pay the new coach. If he's not fund raising, he needs to start fund raising. Plenty of people say Benedict made the Hurley hire based on Jon Rothstein's tweets.
If UConn football exists beyond this year, it's next hire will be an existential hire. Because if the next guy fails, it's done.
My objective choice for a Search Firm would be to employ Collegiate Sports Associates. If Dave doesn't have them on speed dial, he needs to.

Does anyone else think with the fast trigger finger with Edsall. I believe and want to know who else, DB already found the next HC. I just have the feeling.

Reaction Score
Did a search committee hire Katsouleas? How did that work out? Pretty good for him financially but not for UConn or the taxpayers. I am hoping AD DB will make the right choice. I have no faith in a committee. Especially if a politician is on it.
Agreed - the committee needs to be people that are EXTREMELY passionate about UConn/football as opposed to some suit in a fancy office outside of CT (i.e. we don't need a overpaid talent search company).

Reaction Score
The value in using an outside search firm is they can contact coaches/agents currently under contract elsewhere. This allows DB to gage level of interest without putting the prospective coach in violation of contractual issues with their current employer

Also, part of the deal with these search firms is they complete all the background checks necessary.

Reaction Score
The value in using an outside search firm is they can contact coaches/agents currently under contract elsewhere. This allows DB to gage level of interest without putting the prospective coach in violation of contractual issues with their current employer

Also, part of the deal with these search firms is they complete all the background checks necessary.
Yup, and getting to some kind of short list is also fine. After that their job is done.

Reaction Score
Put the money into the Assistant Coach Salary Pool.
Exactly, at this point if money’s an issue then why hire a firm. Dave should save the money for coaches and do the hiring process himself. He has time to evaluate the coaches.

Reaction Score
ADBD will hire a great coach then get a great job and take that coach with him.

Reaction Score

The last thing we need is a search committee choosing the head coach.

Reaction Score
Plenty of people say Benedict made the Hurley hire based on Jon Rothstein's tweets.
lmfao

where do people come up with this crap?

Yes. This is the 2nd biggest part of Dave's legacy besides the Hurley hire. Committees are nothing but bureaucracy. Search firms do nothing. If you hire one, let them do the background checks, agent contacting and nothing else.

Let the man pick his coach and choose his own destiny.

Reaction Score
Search committee should get 6 names…Dave can narrow it down to 3….the boneyard gets to pick the new HC! LOL
I'll tell you this much - The Boneyard wouldn't have hired PP, Diaco, or Edsall. It would have still been a disaster but we wouldn't have chosen them.

Reaction Score
lmfao

where do people come up with this crap?

Yes. This is the 2nd biggest part of Dave's legacy besides the Hurley hire. Committees are nothing but bureaucracy. Search firms do nothing. If you hire one, let them do the background checks, agent contacting and nothing else.

Let the man pick his coach and choose his own destiny.
Did you see who wrote it? Enough said...

Reaction Score
Not only would I use a consultant in the process, I would have them develop a plan to get UConn into top 40 FBS. Benedict has failed to get UConn anywhere but the last place. If in three years new coach is struggling to keep up with plan, tell him to get lost.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Not only would I use a consultant in the process, I would have them develop a plan to get UConn into top 40 FBS. Benedict has failed to get UConn anywhere but the last place. If in three years new coach is struggling to keep up with plan, tell him to get lost.
Here's the plan: Win.

When can I expect the check?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom