Should be OT but Isn't | The Boneyard

Should be OT but Isn't

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What is with the whole dopey player coming in hands the towel to the player coming out? Every time I see it I think: What's that about? I've heard one explanation, which is logical, but if you were watching the game you are entering you shouldn't need the towel exchange to know who you are guarding.

I thought it might be some quaint tradition. A way of saying: Hit the showers kid, I got this.

Reaction Score
I heard to prevent having too many players on the court. Since the player coming is sweaty, he/she gets a new towel so they don't sprinkle their sweat on coaches.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
nope, it helps communication and defines who is the player going out. Sometimes a player will come in and two players think that they are going out and both head to the bench causing confusion. Many times the towel is wrapped up and is thrown to an assistant when the exiting player gets to the bench.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A lot of schools do this kind of baton passing thing. Some use sweatshirts or teeshirts, some use towels, others use some type of object. We should just be used to the fact that Charlie Collier had it right the first time, "(UConn) just seem(s) to do things different (here) there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yup, Charli wanted to go to Texas and follow in Joyner Holmes foot steps. To which I say: Right on.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
nope, it helps communication and defines who is the player going out. Sometimes a player will come in and two players think that they are going out and both head to the bench causing confusion. Many times the towel is wrapped up and is thrown to an assistant when the exiting player gets to the bench.

Uh, yes, but why did you say "nope".

It does help make sure two players don't leave, so there aren't too few, but it does make sure someone leaves, so there aren't too many.

Reaction Score
Does this happen at UConn? When a player comes off they usually stop with Geno for a short chat (or not depending on how they played!) and I don't recall seeing a towel in hand.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby and Pheesa ran relays while in high school, so passing the baton is something they mastered before UConn.

Reaction Score
I think the visiting team is trying to protect the towel they stole at the hotel. Sometimes they pass those little shampoo bottles, too....
Hopefully the team has a nice little collection of soaps as well since they spend so much of the season living in hotels. I can't remember another season where so much time has been spent on the road. January is when the travel started to slow down a bit, and even then the team still spent 19 of the 31 days on the road. I know some of the Baylor fans that post here think that it's no big deal, but is there another team that spends this amount of time criss-crossing the country? So glad that the players get to stay home for most of this month. Well deserved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom