Should a UConn/Big 12 marriage be considered if they expand to 14? | The Boneyard

Should a UConn/Big 12 marriage be considered if they expand to 14?

What is your preference?

• Total voters

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Personally, I prefer UConn’s current setup. We play in a Northeastern power basketball conference where we can be a big fish and dominate in recruiting. I also like being an independent because we can schedule at least 4 regional P5 games a year (I believe starting around 2026 it will be closer to 6 P5 games a year) as well as Army yearly.

With the exception of WVU and Kansas, nobody really interests me in basketball in the Big 12, and WVU and maybe BYU are the only teams that interest me in football.

I personally do not believe that the Big 12 will be perceived by the media as on the same playing field as the other major football conferences. However, I do think it will be perceived as a major league in basketball.

With that said, UConn was not interested in the Big 12 this time around (likely due to 90%+ of the fan base being content).

However, should UConn be interested 2-3 years down the road given that they were interested 5 years ago and were probably 4th favorites back then? Also, would the Big 12 be interested?

Does it make more sense for UConn to wait for inevitable SEC and B1G raids of the ACC in a decade by keeping their current setup or joining the Big 12 if offered?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So funny how while the Big12 didn’t decide to expand in 2016, we were one of their finalists, actually ahead of UCF who was just coming off an 0-12 football season and was a bit rudderless. Meanwhile we seemingly had our coach for the next 20 years in captain red pants. 2 years off the fourth bball title and football had momentum.

Then the next five years happened.

As much fun as it is to play basketball against our old buddies for the “I miss the fluffy white dog” and “my son was in school with Walt Dopo” crowds you have to be literally insane to think being in the Big East is better for us than the Big12.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$&&&

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It's all about money. Depends on what the B12 media deal looks like versus what BE plus football tv deal looks like. If we could get to be respectable in football, maybe that independent tv deal is worth more. Maybe the BE gets a better deal next time around. The B12 deal is sure to go down but by how much? Of course, this whole thing is moot if UConn football continues to be a punchline.

Reaction Score
So funny how while the Big12 didn’t decide to expand in 2016, we were one of their finalists, actually ahead of UCF who was just coming off an 0-12 football season and was a bit rudderless. Meanwhile we seemingly had our coach for the next 20 years in captain red pants. 2 years off the fourth bball title and football had momentum.

As much fun as it is to play basketball against our old buddies for the “I miss the fluffy white dog” and “my son was in school with Walt Dopo” crowds you have to be literally insane to think being in the Big East is better for us than the Big12.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$&&&
As long as our basketball program operates like the elite schools with facilities and amenities, as well as playing top notch competition I don’t see why we should be as worried as the amount of money they are bringing in. Having all of our road games so far away with no history or significance isn’t necessarily on the programs best interest even if it’s putting the school ahead with its bottom line.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would take Kansas, Baylor and maybe WV.

They will lose there big contract when Texas and Oklahoma leave. They will be the new AAC and the AAC will be the MAC

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd stay indy for now. The only thing that concerns me is that should CR see a full split from the NCAA of the P4 or some other superconference configuration, who's to say that buy games will still be a thing or that any of the major schools remaining will even need to schedule OOC games against the likes of UConn. There could be a completely different landscape in 5-10 years about scheduling, divisions, playoffs, etc. should the NCAA split happen.

Reaction Score
Some of these responses should wake some people up.

There is a need for some in the fanbase to reign in the herd.

Don't be a sheep.

If it walks like a duck, it's a duck. lol. It's pretty obvious what the better option is.

You have to keep an eye out for the sheepherders. lol. They ruin the threads.

Reaction Score
This board is hopeless.
In regards to the future of collegiate athletics generally and where UConn falls in that landscape specifically....... I am hopeless.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$&&&

Somehow it makes sense to me that a Blue Wolf fan would think being a geographic outlier in the conference formerly known as the big 12 would be a good idea.

Reaction Score
No one would ever give up a golden ticket. Period.

Being in a P5 means being on the right side of the line when the autonomy group separates.

Anything less than that is inferior. By a lot.

Reaction Score
Maybe if Nova is also going to Big12. Otherwise no
You're hanging UConn's basketball fortunes and your happiness on being in a conference with Villanova? How about a top-to-bottom comparison of basketball in the two conferences?

Reaction Score
You're hanging UConn's basketball fortunes and your happiness on being in a conference with Villanova? How about a top-to-bottom comparison of basketball in the two conferences?
The Nova ballwashing around here is ludicrous. It's Villanova for God's sake, second tier school in the original Big East.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom