Should a UConn/Big 12 marriage be considered if they expand to 14 | The Boneyard

Should a UConn/Big 12 marriage be considered if they expand to 14

What is your preference?

• Total voters

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Personally, I prefer UConn’s current setup. We play in a Northeastern power basketball conference where we can be a big fish and dominate in recruiting. I also like being an independent because we can schedule at least 4 regional P5 games a year (I believe starting around 2026 it will be closer to 6 P5 games a year) as well as Army yearly.

With the exception of WVU and Kansas, nobody really interests me in basketball in the Big 12, and WVU and maybe BYU are the only teams that interest me in football.

I personally do not believe that the Big 12 will be perceived by the media as on the same playing field as the other major football conferences. However, I do think it will be perceived as a major league in basketball.

With that said, UConn was not interested in the Big 12 this time around (likely due to 90%+ of the fan base being content).

However, should UConn be interested 2-3 years down the road given that they were interested 5 years ago and were probably 4th favorites back then? Also, would the Big 12 be interested?

Does it make more sense for UConn to wait for inevitable SEC and B1G raids of the ACC in a decade by keeping their current setup or joining the Big 12 if offered?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
In 5 years, we will have more Northeast playmates in Temple and Navy. If we can get Army to buy in, add in UMass, a BC or Syracuse, etc and soon we will have a Northeast centric schedule without having to join a league. Get some bowl tie ins and voila- we can have everything but a conference championship without having to share revenue and lose the Big East conference tie in.

Reaction Score
The problem is, with the alliance and other factors, UConn may find it harder and harder to get p5 games.
This is true. FB independence is not so perfect now. Should we push for B12 until we get into ACC or B10?

Reaction Score
We should be begging. I don't see how any football program will build decent schedules as an independent going forward. ND's deal with the ACC should have been a clue. Conferences were all heading toward fewer out of conference games before this latest shakeup. It will be even tighter now.

Reaction Score
Actually, KS, BYU, WV and Baylor would not be a bad basketball core along with us.
UConn ‘s MBB casual fans definitely have that regional mindset, which Chief appreciates but it’s the past not the future.
I guess, because Chief has traveled extensively throughout the country on business for decades, I have a more National mindset.
The Big12 losing Missouri and Texas A&M to the SEC years ago, really made the TX/OK defection inevitable. TX has 3 of the top 10 population metro areas in the country. Both TX and FL have at least 2 teams in the NFL, MLB and NBA. Seven different cities in all (Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, San Antonio and Tampa Bay).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We should be begging. I don't see how any football program will build decent schedules as an independent going forward. ND's deal with the ACC should have been a clue. Conferences were all heading toward fewer out of conference games before this latest shakeup. It will be even tighter now.
You can add in BYU to that list of large Indy's to now have a schedule link. I agree that the amount of available games will soon be shrinking as the P4 (sorry It's not going to be a P5 any more no matter who the Big 12 adds) start tightening their grip on CFB.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Are buy game contracts subject to FOI? I'm wondering what the penalties are for future P4/5 opponents cancelling existing contracts.

Reaction Score
The big 12 is too unstable and will look more and more like the AAC we ditched. Like you said, the raids are coming. We should seek some creative scheduling alliances or even better but unlikely, football only memberships. The Big East is where our other sports belong.

Reaction Score
The big 12 is too unstable and will look more and more like the AAC we ditched. Like you said, the raids are coming. We should seek some creative scheduling alliances or even better but unlikely, football only memberships. The Big East is where our other sports belong.
Unfortunately, the new Big East is not the old Big East. Hope we can leave soon.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Simple solution... whichever one of you is a billionaire, earmark a multimillion donation to the basketball and Olympic sports teams for travel for the next decade, then use you influence to lobby for whatever foitball conference you want to join. Bang, done

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the new Big East is not the old Big East. Hope we can leave soon.

For now, that is true.

Only Nova is listed on the too early preseason ESPN top 25 ....(vs 6 from SEC, 5 from ACC, 5 from B1G. 4 from Big 12).

UConn and Georgetown need to bring back their national prominence...

Villanova, UConn, and Georgetown all hitting on eight cylinders would make a formidable league.

(what is this? The SEC is now a basketball conference as well?)

Reaction Score
There were some years the BE had 14 and the ACC had 9. Then the BE had 16 and the ACC had 11. Now the BE has 11 and the ACC 15. Granted the ACC is stacked with basketball programs but the former BE programs basically lined themselves up behind UNC and Duke. NYC is the place to be.

Reaction Score

The Big 12 is an end goal conference. Just about every school in the conference has already been informed other conferences are not interested in them. The probable main reason why the Big 12 is not in the "Alliance" is because a Texas-led Big 12 was in the cahoots with the SEC regarding the playoffs. But that doesn't mean it a hopeless conference. Just going to need a legitimate football title soon.

Reaction Score

The Big 12 is an end goal conference. Just about every school in the conference has already been informed other conferences are not interested in them. The probable main reason why the Big 12 is not in the "Alliance" is because a Texas-led Big 12 was in the cahoots with the SEC regarding the playoffs. But that doesn't mean it a hopeless conference. Just going to need a legitimate football title soon.
I suppose it's relative. I don't think Oklahoma State considers the big 12 an end goal anymore. The AAC is an end goal for some programs. The big 12 told Cincy, Houston and UCF 5 years ago it wasn't interested and suddenly they are members. Unless you believe that CR is finally finished, I think the big 12 is unstable.

Reaction Score
It all has to do with what the tv/streaming gods want. Even the big schools are at their behest. That said, football is in way to bad a shape, and geographically it's to big a stretch. The boat was missed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for an FB-only AAC invite. That would prevent the destruction of the basketball programs that you and your ilk crave.

Reaction Score
Simple solution... whichever one of you is a billionaire, earmark a multimillion donation to the basketball and Olympic sports teams for travel for the next decade, then use you influence to lobby for whatever foitball conference you want to join. Bang, done
You realize the NBE has travel to Nebraska, WI, IL and OH, etc. Other than being in the PAC12, travel expense is not an intelligent driver, it’s really more of a smokescreen. All conferences today, have geographic diversity,

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The best bet is getting an invite to the Big 10. We fit with them in a lot of ways and all sports would benefit. Now all we need is for them to realize that we are worth the risk.

Reaction Score
The best bet is getting an invite to the Big 10. We fit with them in a lot of ways and all sports would benefit. Now all we need is for them to realize that we are worth the risk.
We are not apart of AAU, which is a BigTen requirement to get an invite. We fit more with the ACC, will they expand eventually? Who knows but if they do we’re going to be a high choice.

Reaction Score
THEY ... should have given me the power to delete some threads

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom