Shot Selection | The Boneyard

Shot Selection

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Surface glance of the board after today’s W shows many disappointed with today’s margin of victory. I think we easily could have won this game by double digits if a few of the 50/50 calls go differently. Please see Vital Harden Dribble Travel and any of the block/charges. Please do not see Sid Goal Tend.

For me what makes that ring even more true is Tulane hit a series of contested and difficult shots. Thompson was playing extremely well individually. I don’t think they’ll be as fortunate when we square off next week.

UConn, conversely made great shot selection decisions all game long. They made the extra pass. They shot faked and took the open mid range jumper. They shared the basketball really well and took the lane at the right times.

Maybe it’s the 4 guard out 1 athletic undersized big (nova style) offense we’ve stumbled into by necessity, but it’s been a long time since we had an offense that was this in sync and doing the right things.

Between Vital consistently showing more of his all-time-UConn-heart-team self (Khalid, Freeman, Adrien, Kemba) and less of his all-time-bad-turnover-team self(Johnny time, Johnny time, Johnny time, Johnny time) I think it’s ours to lose.

House Money. Fun times.

Reaction Score
Surface glance of the board after today’s W shows many disappointed with today’s margin of victory. I think we easily could have won this game by double digits if a few of the 50/50 calls go differently. Please see Vital Harden Dribble Travel and any of the block/charges. Please do not see Sid Goal Tend.

For me what makes that ring even more true is Tulane hit a series of contested and difficult shots. Thompson was playing extremely well individually. I don’t think they’ll be as fortunate when we square off next week.

UConn, conversely made great shot selection decisions all game long. They made the extra pass. They shot faked and took the open mid range jumper. They shared the basketball really well and took the lane at the right times.

Maybe it’s the 4 guard out 1 athletic undersized big (nova style) offense we’ve stumbled into by necessity, but it’s been a long time since we had an offense that was this in sync and doing the right things.

Between Vital consistently showing more of his all-time-UConn-heart-team self (Khalid, Freeman, Adrien, Kemba) and less of his all-time-bad-turnover-team self(Johnny time, Johnny time, Johnny time, Johnny time) I think it’s ours to lose.

House Money. Fun times.
Surprise to me was mention if UConn being the top scoring offenses for AAC teams during league play.

Reaction Score
Surprise to me was mention if UConn being the top scoring offenses for AAC teams during league play.
Yeah my thinking was that must have been recent games propping up stats from earlier season conference play

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I think today was as good as it gets for Tulane and as bad as it gets for UConn. That being said looking forward to a blowout that can hopefully give us some confidence moving into the later rounds. You have to believe that Hurley is a FAR better coach then Hunter and we will be better prepped for the next one.

Reaction Score
It helps when you you play 5 OT games two of which went to double OT. But the eye test tells me we now score in more ways than we had in quite a few years. BTW it’s nice to have a big who catches everything. Whaley has great hands. Maybe he has a future as a tight end

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
During the chat I wrote - 3 times I think - "and another prayer goes in," or something to that effect. Tulane hit about a half dozen shots they had no business hitting. Add to that the Vital sidestep 3 that was negated, and Adams second charge that should have been 2-and-1, and it could easily have been a much more comfortable win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
On a neutral floor I am not that concerned with Tulane (please don't make me eat those words!)

Reaction Score
One development that has been terrific to watch has been how often we have players cutting to the basket. Bouk does it a lot, but against Tulane, Gaffney, Adams, Whaley, and Vital all received passes and scored while cutting to the hoop. I don't know how much it is Hurley or the collective basketball smarts of our current crop of players, but it is fun to watch and demoralizing for the opponents.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
During the chat I wrote - 3 times I think - "and another prayer goes in," or something to that effect. Tulane hit about a half dozen shots they had no business hitting. Add to that the Vital sidestep 3 that was negated, and Adams second charge that should have been 2-and-1, and it could easily have been a much more comfortable win.
I'll take what if Whaley made 5 of 7 offensive rebounds in the first half for ten points Alex.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom