Shot Clock Question | The Boneyard

Shot Clock Question

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That whole sequence of missed layup, offensive rebound, steal on inbound, missed shot, offensive rebound, missed shot...... was the backbreaker. That was 67 seconds of UConn playing keepaway.

1644375223993.png

Reaction Score
It’s actually correct. When a change of possession occurs on your side of the court it goes to 20 eliminating the “10 second backcourt” time to bring the ball up the court. It applies in the same manner as an offensive rebound or jump ball that changes possession in the offenses front court.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
It’s actually correct. When a change of possession occurs on your side of the court it goes to 20 eliminating the “10 second backcourt” time to bring the ball up the court. It applies in the same manner as an offensive rebound or jump ball that changes possession in the offenses front court.
Not true. See page 36: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR22.pdf

Reset to 30 seconds when the following occurs:
1. There is a change in team control and the ball remains live or after a score by the opponent;

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The reset to 30 would be after UConn scores and Marquette inbounds.

Looking at the .pdf I don't see anything that says only reset to 20 if UConn forces a turnover in Marquette's backcourt.

1644380467533.png

Reaction Score
The reset to 30 would be after UConn scores and Marquette inbounds.

Looking at the .pdf I don't see anything that says only reset to 20 if UConn forces a turnover in Marquette's backcourt.

View attachment 73123
He’s wrong, you are right. When we score it’s a change of possession. If we then steal the ball on the inbounds, it’s another change of possession and we should get a new 30.

Period

Full stop

It doesn’t matter if we steal it within one second of the possession or 29. It doesn’t matter if we steal it in the front court or the back court. It’s a change of possession. New 30 second clock.

Reaction Score
He’s wrong, you are right. When we score it’s a change of possession. If we then steal the ball on the inbounds, it’s another change of possession and we should get a new 30.

Period

Full stop

It doesn’t matter if we steal it within one second of the possession or 29. It doesn’t matter if we steal it in the front court or the back court. It’s a change of possession. New 30 second clock.
Well they added rules a few years back to make it more complicated. If the ball would have been deflected out of bounds off them or they traveled and we inbounded in the front court, we'd inbound with 20 instead of 30. But a live ball change of possession seems like it should still be 30.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I was very surprised too. More surprised that Marquette didn’t foul that entire sequence?!? Was Shaka hoping to drop up a 9 point play?
I know he only had one TO left but I would have used it in that sequence - it was the back breaker they couldn't come back from.

Reaction Score
I know he only had one TO left but I would have used it in that sequence - it was the back breaker they couldn't come back from.
You can't call a TO on defense, they needed to get a rebound in order to call one and couldn't do that

Reaction Score
I'd like to extend the rules conversation to a ref's authority to allow scoring before the game starts or scoring after the game ends. When does a ref's authority start pre-game, and end post-game?

On the women's board there is a discussion of last night's virginia vs syracuse game where a technical foul was called on a Syracuse player when the teams were walking off the court after the horn had sounded and the game was 'over'. A Virginia player not involved in the altercation went to the line and changed the final score.

Another example was cited in men's ball when dunking was illegal. The game was over, horn sounded, and a player on the winning team dunked in celebration. He was called for a technical, the game became tied, went to OT, and his team lost.

I do remember occasional games starting with technical foul shots for pre game violations by a team, (such as dunking in the layup line when it was illegal).

With betting lines and spreads, the game outcome doesn't need to change to be a big issue. This is a pandora's box that means a game isn't over even at the horn.

A home team could be called for a technical if kids rushed the court at a games' end, or, if it should be called because it happened, does the losing team have a legitimate claim that they should have been awarded foul shots for an obvious transgression, maybe pushing a ref after the horn or getting in his face.

Interested if anybody has seen this on any level, AAU, etc

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
You can't call a TO on defense, they needed to get a rebound in order to call one and couldn't do that
Derp, guess I thought they had their hands on the ball somewhere in there?

:D

Reaction Score
I'd like to extend the rules conversation to a ref's authority to allow scoring before the game starts or scoring after the game ends. When does a ref's authority start pre-game, and end post-game?

On the women's board there is a discussion of last night's virginia vs syracuse game where a technical foul was called on a Syracuse player when the teams were walking off the court after the horn had sounded and the game was 'over'. A Virginia player not involved in the altercation went to the line and changed the final score.

Another example was cited in men's ball when dunking was illegal. The game was over, horn sounded, and a player on the winning team dunked in celebration. He was called for a technical, the game became tied, went to OT, and his team lost.

I do remember occasional games starting with technical foul shots for pre game violations by a team, (such as dunking in the layup line when it was illegal).

With betting lines and spreads, the game outcome doesn't need to change to be a big issue. This is a pandora's box that means a game isn't over even at the horn.

A home team could be called for a technical if kids rushed the court at a games' end, or, if it should be called because it happened, does the losing team have a legitimate claim that they should have been awarded foul shots for an obvious transgression, maybe pushing a ref after the horn or getting in his face.

Interested if anybody has seen this on any level, AAU, etc
Section 4. Officials’ Jurisdiction
Art. 1. The officials shall have the power to make decisions for infractions of rules committed either within or outside the boundary lines from 20 minutes before the scheduled starting time of the game through the referee’s approval of the final score.
Art. 2. At least one official shall arrive on the floor 20 minutes before the start of the game. At least one official must remain on the floor once jurisdiction begins and team member(s) are on the court or in the bench area.
Art. 3. When all three officials leave the visual confines of the playing area at the end of the game, the officials’ jurisdiction has ended and the score has been approved.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Section 4. Officials’ Jurisdiction
Art. 1. The officials shall have the power to make decisions for infractions of rules committed either within or outside the boundary lines from 20 minutes before the scheduled starting time of the game through the referee’s approval of the final score.
Art. 2. At least one official shall arrive on the floor 20 minutes before the start of the game. At least one official must remain on the floor once jurisdiction begins and team member(s) are on the court or in the bench area.
Art. 3. When all three officials leave the visual confines of the playing area at the end of the game, the officials’ jurisdiction has ended and the score has been approved.

Which is why during controversial endings you always see those maniacs sprint off the floor with the quickness!

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
So, Tyrese goes up for a layup, misses, grabs his own rebound and scores.

Marquette inbounds ball, Jackson tips it and steals it.

Shot clock for this UConn possession was set at 20. Why not a full shot clock?
I noticed that also.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom