short sterling Gibbs interview | The Boneyard

short sterling Gibbs interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I too liked what he had to say and how he said it. The whole Gibbs family seems like they have intelligent heads on their shoulders, kudos to poppa Gibbs. Things I liked:

1) Sterling repeatedly mentions UConn's tradition and the big name legends that have come through the program. This shows that he understands that there is an established culture here and that he will have the EARN play time, but that the success will come with it. Most Seton Hall players arent getting radio interviews with major CBB bloggers so the fact that he is even speaking to Zag here as well as all his comments regarding the program show that he understands that with his commitment comes a certain level of expectations here at UConn, very important for assessing where a kid's head is.

2) He was asked if there is enough talent on the team now that hes committed for another Final Four/title, he answers that "on paper yes, it just comes down to putting it all together chemistry wise". Also a very important sign, we have all seen how a loaded, cant miss roster like that in 2012 can easily fall flat on its face if the chemistry isnt there. Sterling seems to understand that despite him being a big time scorer and the player with the most overall seniority, that its now his team and that developing a bond with his teammates will be essential to the teams success this season. He specifically makes multiple references to how much he will have to sacrifice from his usual role at SH for the Huskies next year.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Good Lord, Chap is there in the comments, too.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Good Lord, Chap is there in the comments, too.

Was Chap banned here, or just given enough WTF responses that he left on his own?

Oddly enough, but I miss the old coot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was Chap banned here, or just given enough WTF responses that he left on his own?

Oddly enough, but I miss the old coot.
He also keeps going in and out of English and French, I do miss him in a weird way.

Reaction Score
Nice interview. I love how he says yea on paper we are a final four team, but it all depends on how we come together. I like when kids dont buy into the hype. He knows this team is going to have to work hard to become that great team AND he thinks they can do it. Looking forward to him being a leader and motivating the rest of the squad.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don't. He was funny at first but his act got stale very fast. In the end he was contributing nothing to the board but headaches.
Like 99.99999% of us. He fit in very nicely in his eccentrically weird alien way!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Agree kid is well spoken. Props to dad. Three exceptional kids getting college degrees.

My "Spidey" sense is telling me Gibbs and Purvis will have the same dynamic relationship with one another on the court similar to DHam and Amida. Shonn will be the bridge between everyone. Jalen will keep up the energy level when he comes in. And the other players on the roster will be next season's version of the "hungry huskies"!!!!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Really impressive interview, as short as it is. He carries himself well and does a good job thinking about his answers.

Reaction Score
Besides what has been said, the influence of Andre Drummond reinforcing Sterling's own opinions was interesting, (and that he had been teammates with Andre on an international squad), his multiple comments about sacrifice were not just related to him, the upshot was that you sacrifice for each other and the good of the team, when asked about final four potential he pointed out that key members of prior teams had more experience playing with each other than this team, ie a team on paper has to learn to play together before you can project.

I think our board thought he was looking at the teams with an eye to how he fit to make the biggest run in March with him as a centerpiece. From the interview I think that was just gravy. The way Ollie coaches guards and allows them to play was the key.

I was very impressed with his thoughtful answers. Coupled with the press that was posted about Whitehead's punk attitude in high school, it's pretty easy to surmise who likely generated problems at Seton Hall.

Frachilla later said sweet sixteen for us with top 25 all year. I think that's fair on paper, but it's not our limit.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He also keeps going in and out of English and French, I do miss him in a weird way.

He predicts 20-loss seasons now. I don't want to see that garbage here.

Reaction Score
He used to be readable and funny, not so much lately. His ramblings are not decipherable any longer .

Reaction Score
I especially liked that he talked with Andre Drummond, who may have sealed this deal! Way to go AD!

and behind the "coincidental" encounter with Drummond was the mastermind of it all....Ollie. nothing happened by mistake :) love it!

Reaction Score
Really impressive interview, as short as it is. He carries himself well and does a good job thinking about his answers.

Not exactly short. He was interviewed for 5-6 minutes

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Beyond what's mentioned above, I liked the part where he talked about Ashton's reaction to him going to UConn. Sterling says when he got to UConn, he saw a big picture of Kemba's step-back, which had Ashton in it, and Sterling took a picture of it and sent it to Ashton.

I also got the sense that he no intention of ever visiting Ohio State. This has been a done deal for a while.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Beyond what's mentioned above, I liked the part where he talked about Ashton's reaction to him going to UConn. Sterling says when he got to UConn, he saw a big picture of Kemba's step-back, which had Ashton in it, and Sterling took a picture of it and sent it to Ashton.

I also got the sense that he no intention of ever visiting Ohio State. This has been a done deal for a while.
He visited Ohio State

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score

You're thinking of NC State.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My bad. Misheard.

I still think this was a done deal a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom