Shocking UConn stats after 5 games... | The Boneyard

Shocking UConn stats after 5 games...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn 2018.jpg

Not surprisingly, UConn is undefeated after 5 games and winning the Paradise Jam tournament Championship in the Virgin Islands. Some statistics, however, are not what fans expected. Consider:

1. UConn has two players making 50% of their three-point shots and neither is named Katie Lou. ( Crystal & Christyn)

2. The player with the most minutes played is freshman Christyn Williams at 161 minutes or 32.2 per game.

3. Napheesa is averaging a double-double w/ 17.2 pts & 10 rebounds per game. (Ok, I rounded up from 9.8...) :cool:

4. UConn's defense is giving up only 48 points per game & the offense is scoring 81. :p

5. Pheesa only has 7 fouls in 5 games. She also has 16 assists as much of the offense is running through her. ;)

6. Opponents are making only 54.7% of their tries from the charity stripe. Good free throw defense...:D

7. The Huskies have only 8 blocked shots in 5 games.

8. The substitute with the most minutes is Mikayla Coombs with 58. (Olivia is 2nd with 55.)

9. The player with the most steals is Christyn with 7. She also has a team-leading 7 offensive rebounds. (Tied w/ Collier)

10. All five starters are averaging double figures in scoring. (Lou is highest at 19.4 and Christyn is 5th with 10.0 per game)

Next game is Wednesday against DePaul in Hartford.

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Tournament MVP Napheesa Collier letting KLS hold part of the trophy... :)

P.S.S. - For stats #11-17, see Huskee11's great post below...!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Granted we haven’t played the toughest of competition yet but I’m very encourage by our team defense. Everyone active and getting great contributions on the boards from Lou, CW & MW! These next 2 games will really give us an idea on what kind of defense we really have!!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
View attachment 36749

Not surprisingly, UConn is undefeated after 5 games and the Paradise Jam tournament Championship in the Virgin Islands. Some statistics, however, are not what fans expected. Consider:

1. UConn has two players making 50% of their three-point shots and neither is named Katie Lou. ( Crystal & Christyn)

2. The player with the most minutes played is freshman Christyn Williams at 161 minutes or 32.2 per game.

3. Napheesa is averaging a double-double w/ 17.2 pts & 10 rebounds per game. (Ok, I rounded up from 9.8...) :cool:

4. UConn's defense is giving up only 48 points per game & scoring 81.

5. Pheesa only has 7 fouls in 5 games. She also has 16 assists as much of the offense is running through her. ;)

6. Opponents are making only 54.7% of their tries from the charity stripe. Good free throw defense...:D

8. The substitute with the most minutes in Mikayla Coombs with 58. (Olivia is 2nd with 55.)

9. The player with the most steals is Christyn with 7.

10. All five starters are averaging double figures in scoring. (Lou is highest at 19.4 and Christyn is 5th with 10.0 per game)

Next game is Wednesday against DePaul in Hartford.

Go Huskies..!!
The stat in the number 6 position is the most incredible. This has to be the result of a concentrated effort on Coach Dailey's part to teach the ladies how to hold their mouths right. That shows the attention to detail that UConn staff insist upon. ;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm less-inclined to make a blanket statement about the putative weakness of the competition the Huskies faced in the tourney, especially insofar as St. John's is concerned. I don't think that game was a fluke, or one that can be simply attributed to an off-night by UConn. St. John's was extremely well-coached, very gutsy, and dictated the pace of the game. They may not be ranked now, which kind of reinforces my prejudice against in-season rankings, but I'd wager they'll make an appearance in those top twenty-five rankings before long, and remain there.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Thanks, David!

A few other things that caught my eye, including some statistical anomalies:

1. Lou and Napheesa are close friends, and are close in a number of statistical categories as well. Each with 34 field goals, 16 free throws, 7 turnovers, and 6 steals. Lou has one fewer block, two fewer assists, and one more offensive rebound (!) than her buddy.

2. Megan and Crystal are each 25 for 44 from the floor.

3. 4 of the 5 starters are shooting 56.3% or better from the field. The fifth was really lighting it up against Purdue. Portends well.

4. ONO has 13 free throw attempts in 55 minutes. Surprisingly, Megan has only 2 attempts in 145 minutes.

5. Opponents actually have 9 more shot attempts in total, and 22 more total offensive rebounds. UConn has 28 more total free throw attempts. Last year, UConn averaged about 4.2 more shot attempts per game than their opponents.

6. UConn has scored 8.2 less points per game than last year, but has given up 5.4 less than last year. The Saint John`s game brings the scoring average for UConn down and I expect it will climb into the 86-88 range before too long.

7. Starters all average between 29 and 32.2 minutes per game, which is on the high side (again largely due to the Saint John`s game). Three bench players each average between 11 and 11.8 minutes per game. I was very happy to see that despite playing their third game in three days with heavy minutes the night before, and of course all that pool/beach time and snorkeling, UConn (especially Lou, coming off surgery) came out very strong against Purdue and kept it up for pretty much the entire game.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Thanks, David!

A few other things that caught my eye, including some statistical anomalies:

1. Lou and Napheesa are close friends, and are close in a number of statistical categories as well. Each with 34 field goals, 16 free throws, 7 turnovers, and 6 steals. Lou has one fewer block, two fewer assists, and one more offensive rebound (!) than her buddy.

2. Megan and Crystal are each 25 for 44 from the floor.

3. 4 of the 5 starters are shooting 56.3% or better from the field. The fifth was really lighting it up against Purdue. Portends well.

4. ONO has 13 free throw attempts in 55 minutes. Surprisingly, Megan has only 2 attempts in 145 minutes.

5. Opponents actually have 9 more shot attempts in total, and 22 more total offensive rebounds. UConn has 28 more total free throw attempts. Last year, UConn averaged about 4.2 more shot attempts per game than their opponents.

6. UConn has scored 8.2 less points per game than last year, but has given up 5.4 less than last year. The Saint John`s game brings the scoring average for UConn down and I expect it will climb into the 86-88 range before too long.

7. Starters all average between 29 and 32.2 minutes per game, which is on the high side (again largely due to the Saint John`s game). Three bench players each average between 11 and 11.8 minutes per game. I was very happy to see that despite playing their third game in three days with heavy minutes the night before, and of course all that pool/beach time and snorkeling, UConn (especially Lou, coming off surgery) came out very strong against Purdue and kept it up for pretty much the entire game.
On #s 5 and 6, how much of that is attributable to the end of our bench playing against mostly starters for a lot of the 4th quarter in all but one game?

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

9. The player with the most steals is Christyn with 7. She also has a team-leading 7 offensive rebounds. (Tied w/ Collier)

3: absolutely expected
5: hoped for; she can't foul out or even need to sit due to foul trouble. Same is true for the other starters.
7: this has to change; Pheesa is a good shot blocker and ONO needs to come off the bench as a rim protector. BTW, she was credited with none in the last game, while I thought she got three.
9: good omen, but UConn needs to be more effective at filling the passing lanes. Again, I thought they'd scored more steals than they've gotten credit for, maybe some are just counted as team steals?
10: encouraging.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

This is one small step to becoming legendary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom