Shocking Similar Teams | The Boneyard

Shocking Similar Teams

Reaction Score
Leading up to the Oregon game I was thinking about UConn's chances on Monday. I think Oregon is the better team and will win the game, but that certainly doesn't mean the end of the season! In fact, I think this UConn team may lose a couple more games this year, but I also think this season is very similar to 2012-13 and that the Huskies will play their best in March! UConn has been heartbroken in the tourney the past couple of seasons, and this year, I think we are due for things to break our way!

In 2012-13 they had a senior guard leader Faris, this year they have a senior guard leader in Dangerfield.
In 2012-13 they had 2 senior role players in Buck and Doty (due to injury), this year they have 2 senior role players in Irwin and Bent.
In 2012-13 they had a junior that was a scorer in Hartley, this year they have a junior scorer in Walker.
In 2012-13 they had a junior post that had a breakout year in Dolson and a soph shot blocker Stokes that was still finding her way, this year they have a sophomore ONO, who I think is a combo of the 2.
In 2012-13 they had a sophomore former HS POY in KML and a sophomore lefty guard that was relentless driving to the rim in Banks, this year they have Williams which is a combo of the 2.
In 2012-13 they had an explosive freshman in Stewart, this year they have an explosive freshman in Griffin(I know Griffin is not as good, they are similar athletes though)
In 2012-13 they had a freshman guard in MoJeff and a freshman forward in Tuck, this year they have Makurat, who I also think is a good combo of the 2.
In 2012-13, heading into the NCAA tourney, most viewed UConn as the 3rd or 4th best team in the country, clearly behind Baylor and Notre Dame. This year most view UConn as the 3rd or 4th best team in the country, clearly behind Baylor and Oregon.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
All true, but if you watch a re-run of the ND semi...Stewie is dominant in a manner, glorious and indescribable.
It's hard to imagine any of our current roster performing in that manner...and that is no criticism.

Reaction Score
All true, but if you watch a re-run of the ND semi...Stewie is dominant in a manner, glorious and indescribable.
It's hard to imagine any of our current roster performing in that manner...and that is no criticism.

Stewart was amazing in that game with 29pts and 5rebs, but Walker just dropped 22pts and 7rebs on Team USA.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While the similarities outlined in the OP are interesting, there were several significant differences between the 2012-13 team and this year’s team. To start, that team had tremendous frontcourt size with frosh Stewie & Tuck, jr Steph & Soph Kiah.

While UConn had 4 losses they were all to the 2 top teams in the country (Baylor & ND), and they were all extremely close games. UConn lost a battle in Waco against Britney Greiner’s Baylor team by 6. UConn lost 3 incredibly close games to ND: in triple OT at South Bend, by 1 in Hartford and by 2 in the BE Championship.

It is been alluded to that by the tournament, freshman Stewie was playing as well as any player in the country, but the Huskies got some breaks come tournament time. Natalie Achonwa, ND’s best player was injured in the regionals and the Huskies faced a short handed Irish team in the semifinals.

More importantly, Baylor, the #1 team in the country was stunned by Louisville in the other semifinal leading to a final matchup between UConn and Louisville, a team they had beaten handily during the regular season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While the similarities outlined in the OP are interesting, there were several significant differences between the 2012-13 team and this year’s team. To start, that team had tremendous frontcourt size with frosh Stewie & Tuck, jr Steph & Soph Kiah.

While UConn had 4 losses they were all to the 2 top teams in the country (Baylor & ND), and they were all extremely close games. UConn lost a battle in Waco against Britney Greiner’s Baylor team by 6. UConn lost 3 incredibly close games to ND: in triple OT at South Bend, by 1 in Hartford and by 2 in the BE Championship.

It is been alluded to that by the tournament, freshman Stewie was playing as well as any player in the country, but the Huskies got some breaks come tournament time. Natalie Achonwa, ND’s best player was injured in the regionals and the Huskies faced a short handed Irish team in the semifinals.

More importantly, Baylor, the #1 team in the country was stunned by Louisville in the other semifinal leading to a final matchup between UConn and Louisville, a team they had beaten handily during the regular season.
One slight correction, that Baylor game was not in Waco. Stevie was awful and only played 7 mins. KML was spectacular with 26 points on 14 shots and 15 rebounds her career high I believe.

Reaction Score
2013 Baylor lost in the elite 8 to Louisville no the final four and Achunwa played 2013 was injured in 2014

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One slight correction, that Baylor game was not in Waco. Stevie was awful and only played 7 mins. KML was spectacular with 26 points on 14 shots and 15 rebounds her career high I believe.
2013 Baylor lost in the elite 8 to Louisville no the final four and Achunwa played 2013 was injured in 2014
It’s a good thing I don’t have to rely on my memory to make a living. Thanks for the corrections. UConn lost to Baylor in Waco the year before and Achonwa was injured and missed the UConn game a year later. Too many cobwebs cluttering up my brain.... :confused:

Reaction Score
This post reminds me of trying to put a square peg into a round hole. It requires cutting corners.

Reaction Score
Leading up to the Oregon game I was thinking about UConn's chances on Monday. I think Oregon is the better team and will win the game, but that certainly doesn't mean the end of the season! In fact, I think this UConn team may lose a couple more games this year, but I also think this season is very similar to 2012-13 and that the Huskies will play their best in March! UConn has been heartbroken in the tourney the past couple of seasons, and this year, I think we are due for things to break our way!

In 2012-13 they had a senior guard leader Faris, this year they have a senior guard leader in Dangerfield.
In 2012-13 they had 2 senior role players in Buck and Doty (due to injury), this year they have 2 senior role players in Irwin and Bent.
In 2012-13 they had a junior that was a scorer in Hartley, this year they have a junior scorer in Walker.
In 2012-13 they had a junior post that had a breakout year in Dolson and a soph shot blocker Stokes that was still finding her way, this year they have a sophomore ONO, who I think is a combo of the 2.
In 2012-13 they had a sophomore former HS POY in KML and a sophomore lefty guard that was relentless driving to the rim in Banks, this year they have Williams which is a combo of the 2.
In 2012-13 they had an explosive freshman in Stewart, this year they have an explosive freshman in Griffin(I know Griffin is not as good, they are similar athletes though)
In 2012-13 they had a freshman guard in MoJeff and a freshman forward in Tuck, this year they have Makurat, who I also think is a good combo of the 2.
In 2012-13, heading into the NCAA tourney, most viewed UConn as the 3rd or 4th best team in the country, clearly behind Baylor and Notre Dame. This year most view UConn as the 3rd or 4th best team in the country, clearly behind Baylor and Oregon.
Your analysis is lots of fun , and highly accurate, until you get to point 4.

ONO may be having a break-out year, but mostly in the sense that she is much better than she was last season. The potential for enormous growth, however, does still remain. But she is not yet the shot blocker that Kia Stokes was, and she has to get much better, fast, to qualify this as her " break-out " season, as was the case for Dolson.

As for your point on Williams. She has shown flashes of KML, but what made KML special was that she didn't play in flashes. She was money all the time, especially when the team needed a three. Williams leaves Banks in the dust in every respect.

I love what you are trying to do but, at this moment, it is not allowed to use Stewie and Griffin in the same sentence. The only thing you can say in that regard is that they were both freshman on UCONN teams.

We are all thrilled by what Ania is showing us. But MoJeff and Tuck were in different worlds.

Nonetheless, this is an exciting, and improving team. A team that could surprise us big time, if everything happens just right.

Reaction Score
Your analysis is lots of fun , and highly accurate, until you get to point 4.

ONO may be having a break-out year, but mostly in the sense that she is much better than she was last season. The potential for enormous growth, however, does still remain. But she is not yet the shot blocker that Kia Stokes was, and she has to get much better, fast, to qualify this as her " break-out " season, as was the case for Dolson.

As for your point on Williams. She has shown flashes of KML, but what made KML special was that she didn't play in flashes. She was money all the time, especially when the team needed a three. Williams leaves Banks in the dust in every respect.

I love what you are trying to do but, at this moment, it is not allowed to use Stewie and Griffin in the same sentence. The only thing you can say in that regard is that they were both freshman on UCONN teams.

We are all thrilled by what Ania is showing us. But MoJeff and Tuck were in different worlds.

Nonetheless, this is an exciting, and improving team. A team that could surprise us big time, if everything happens just right.

While I certainly agree that Dolson was a better player in her junior year, their stats(Dolson 13.6pts 7.1rbs vs ONO 11pts 8.9rbs) are very similar. ONO is also averaging 3.5 blocks per game, while Stokes only averaged 1.25 blocks per game in 2012-13. The comparison is closer than you might believe, this happens all the time, I am even guilty of it! We tend to look back on the past as a better time, but when you look at stats you realize that the difference is not that much. While Jefferson and Tuck ended being AAs, their impact on that 2012-13 season was very minimal, I think you will find that their stats are also very similar!

Reaction Score
While I certainly agree that Dolson was a better player in her junior year, their stats(Dolson 13.6pts 7.1rbs vs ONO 11pts 8.9rbs) are very similar. ONO is also averaging 3.5 blocks per game, while Stokes only averaged 1.25 blocks per game in 2012-13. The comparison is closer than you might believe, this happens all the time, I am even guilty of it! We tend to look back on the past as a better time, but when you look at stats you realize that the difference is not that much. While Jefferson and Tuck ended being AAs, their impact on that 2012-13 season was very minimal, I think you will find that their stats are also very similar!
The biggest key to the 2013 team was Geno convincing One of the starters to come off the bench, allowing Stewie back in the starting lineup. Bria was the one who volunteered to come off the bench, and the rest is history.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The biggest key to the 2013 team was Geno convincing One of the starters to come off the bench, allowing Stewie back in the starting lineup. Bria was the one who volunteered to come off the bench, and the rest is history.
Almost. Bria started this season injured and misssed the first two games. It was Caroline Doty who replaced Bria in the starting line up. Stewie was a starter on day one & until she hit the freshman wall. It was also Bria who went to Geno with the idea to keep Caroline in the starting line up and have her come off the bench.

Reaction Score

Every time you say someone is a combination of 2, we lose more depth.

Reaction Score
Bria came off the bench so Caroline Doty could start and she went to Geno about doing it for Caroline Doty!

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Any two teams could play each other back to back and it would be a different result and people want to go 7 years back and compare teams and their likeness....geez....We do not play games by proxy....

Reaction Score
Any two teams could play each other back to back and it would be a different result and people want to go 7 years back and compare teams and their likeness....geez....We do not play games by proxy....

No, you're right! How dare we actually discuss UConn women's basketball on a UConn women's basketball forum? It will never happen again.:rolleyes:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
No, you're right! How dare we actually discuss UConn women's basketball on a UConn women's basketball forum? It will never happen again.:rolleyes:
I am so sorry that my statement went totally over your head. I will try to explain it in a more simple statement.....this team is very different from the 2013 team. If you make comparisons then that is problematic because the players and their skills are very different. Now...do you understand it was not about a general UCONN basketball discussion...it was comparing UCONN teams of the past to UCONN teams of the present ? I hope this cleared it up for you. I can't draw a picture on the forum so that's out (insert sarcasm here).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom