Shocker in Women's LAX | The Boneyard

Shocker in Women's LAX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is not really OT, because it compares to the 4-peat that the Huskies just accomplished. The Maryland women's lacrosse team has become the gold standard of the sport. The seniors came into yesterday's national championship game with an 88-2 record, including 22-0 this year. The Terps had won the national championship in 2014 and 2015. This was their eight consecutive Final Four. I thought that they would pick up their third championship in a row. However, North Carolina, who had lost 9-8 in last year's championship game and had edged the Terps in the 2013 title game in triple overtime, had other ideas. They outplayed Maryland from the beginning yesterday and won a 13-7 shocker. It was Maryland's lowest scoring output of the season and also their worst defensive showing.

Streaks are REALLY difficult. Yesterday's LAX game makes me appreciate what the Big 3 and their teammates accomplished. Well done, Stewie, Morgan, and Moriah!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And to add to the point - in the Softball Super Regionals, #1 seed Florida, 2 time defending champion and #1 ranked team all but one week of the year, was upended by the #16 seed, Georgia, who won 2 games in a row to knock out the Gators. Repeating is really tough.

Incidentally, Maryland has been the Women's LAX gold standard much of the time, but there was a significant stretch where the Northwestern team had a tremendous run.

Reaction Score
Not to mention North Carolina's huge overtime upset of Maryland in the MEN'S lacrosse championship today!​

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And to add to the point - in the Softball Super Regionals, #1 seed Florida, 2 time defending champion and #1 ranked team all but one week of the year, was upended by the #16 seed, Georgia, who won 2 games in a row to knock out the Gators. Repeating is really tough.

Incidentally, Maryland has been the Women's LAX gold standard much of the time, but there was a significant stretch where the Northwestern team had a tremendous run.
I think Northwestern won 5 in a row and 7 of 8, but none since 2012. They made 10 Final Fours in a 12-year span. This level of success on the field was new for the Wildcats.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not to mention North Carolina's huge overtime upset of Maryland in the MEN'S lacrosse championship today!​
I missed that. As a regular reader of the Washington Post, I thought the Terps would win. Wow--Maryland had a really crappy weekend in Pennsylvania! I'm sure Triad is very disappointed that UNC won both LAX titles.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I missed that. As a regular reader of the Washington Post, I thought the Terps would win. Wow--Maryland had a really crappy weekend in Pennsylvania! I'm sure Triad is very disappointed that UNC won both LAX titles.

Meh.... the only consolation is that Maryland went down to defeat.

On a brighter note... Duke baseball is in the NCAA's for the first time since my mother graduated from high school.... 1961 :cool: And the only ACC school located in the state of NC that didnt qualify was UNC :D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom