Shirreffs? | The Boneyard

Shirreffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guess I haven't been following recruiting or transfers in the past year or so because this is the first I've heard of Bryant Shirreffs. I just watched high school tape on him and this kid looks like an absolute stud. I saw his name mentioned in the wildcat thread and he looks like he's perfectly suited for that, big kid with serious athleticism. What are fans expecting form him next year?

Reaction Score
Guess I haven't been following recruiting or transfers in the past year or so because this is the first I've heard of Bryant Shirreffs. I just watched high school tape on him and this kid looks like an absolute stud. I saw his name mentioned in the wildcat thread and he looks like he's perfectly suited for that, big kid with serious athleticism. What are fans expecting form him next year?

To show up and compete.

Reaction Score
????

The OP asked what should we expect. I am clearly kidding, but one can dream right? A big, athletic and mobile QB that can sling the rock around. Very similar body types and both good athletes.

EDIT: I was hoping the OP would also be quoted, but it only quotes the text box you click on not the total response.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to stay modest by UConn standards, but I'm expecting him to be a major surprise next year operating this option-style offense. He's literally built for it. The kid might end up looking like RoboCop out there under center compared to any other quarterback we've ever had. In the meantime, I'll try to chill out with the hyperbole.

Reaction Score
His comments in this article seem to make me think he may have been pitched the spread offense here:
http://www.backingthepack.com/nc-st...s-transferring-to-uco-hang-on-what-new-system
I don't get that from that article at all. To me it reads, he is leaving NC State because of the system change. He decided to transfer here back in June. Well before this season started, and well before we all saw how pitiful the offense was early on. You can imply that it means the spread may be the next offensive system up, but it isn't Cummings background to my knowledge. Just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
It looks like he has a brother as well. Rated #3 QB in Georgia.

Reaction Score
I don't get that from that article at all. To me it reads, he is leaving NC State because of the system change. He decided to transfer here back in June. Well before this season started, and well before we all saw how pitiful the offense was early on. You can imply that it means the spread may be the next offensive system up, but it isn't Cummings background to my knowledge. Just my thoughts.
Only reason I say that is this comment:
"It's changing to more of a drop-back style," Shirreffs said. "I can play that, I played that in high school, but as far as my best quarterbacking, it would be in a spread style where I can move around. It's not that I'm unhappy. It's just a tough situation and I think it's best for me. It wasn't an easy decision."

Reaction Score
You can imply that it means the spread may be the next offensive system up, but it isn't Cummings background to my knowledge.

Haven't we utilized a spread offense the last two games?

From Wiki:

"Spread offenses typically place the quarterback in the shotgun formation, and "spread" the defense horizontally using three-, four-, and even five-receiver sets. Many spread offenses also employ a no-huddle approach. Some implementations of the spread also feature wide splits between the offensive linemen. Many spread offenses use the read option running play to put pressure on both sides of the defense. Spread offenses also leverage vertical (down field) passing routes to spread the defense vertically, to open up multiple vertical seams for both the running and passing game".

Reaction Score
Watched
I'm trying to stay modest by UConn standards, but I'm expecting him to be a major surprise next year operating this option-style offense. He's literally built for it. The kid might end up looking like RoboCop out there under center compared to any other quarterback we've ever had. In the meantime, I'll try to chill out with the hyperbole.
I have watched some of his high school videos and I like what I see. Big and strong, moves around in pocket, throws well on the run or in pocket, and runs with authority ( also has some moves). Seems like a perfect fit. Have been hoping that Tim Boyle was are QB of future, but would be extremely happy if Shirreffs turns out to be the real deal.

Reaction Score
Only reason I say that is this comment:
"It's changing to more of a drop-back style," Shirreffs said. "I can play that, I played that in high school, but as far as my best quarterbacking, it would be in a spread style where I can move around. It's not that I'm unhappy. It's just a tough situation and I think it's best for me. It wasn't an easy decision."
Again that is his reason for leaving NC State. Their offensive scheme as he understood it, is moving to more of a drop back passer type of offense. The offensive change is the reason he left NC State coupled with the comment about things being "promised". Like I said, you may imply that that means a change here, but it would be unwise to implement a "pro-style" offense here after Shirreffs has committed, try to teach the whole offense, including the OL (lets not go there) and then one season later change everything. I don't agree at all. Again that is my opinion with examples.

Reaction Score
Haven't we utilized a spread offense the last two games?

From Wiki:

"Spread offenses typically place the quarterback in the shotgun formation, and "spread" the defense horizontally using three-, four-, and even five-receiver sets. Many spread offenses also employ a no-huddle approach. Some implementations of the spread also feature wide splits between the offensive linemen. Many spread offenses use the read option running play to put pressure on both sides of the defense. Spread offenses also leverage vertical (down field) passing routes to spread the defense vertically, to open up multiple vertical seams for both the running and passing game".
You will have to ask Bob.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Again that is his reason for leaving NC State. Their offensive scheme as he understood it, is moving to more of a drop back passer type of offense. The offensive change is the reason he left NC State coupled with the comment about things being "promised". Like I said, you may imply that that means a change here, but it would be unwise to implement a "pro-style" offense here after Shirreffs has committed, try to teach the whole offense, including the OL (lets not go there) and then one season later change everything. I don't agree at all. Again that is my opinion with examples.

Its funny because the reverse is how we ended up with Boyle here. He was all set to take his talents to Chesnut Hill until the coaching change, which changed the offensive philosophy, and in turn made it not a good fit for Tim.
I think the spread is coming IMO.
Whether the offense is a defined spread or not I believe HCBD wants a QB that is mobile.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Sheriffs Handcuffs Oppostion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads