Shiny Silver Lining / Blessing in Disguise | The Boneyard

Shiny Silver Lining / Blessing in Disguise

Reaction Score
Now that Paige appears to be healthy again with no ill effects & on the verge of returning tonight, permit me to posit that her early season injury may actually have been a huge blessing in disguise for this UConn team's March fortunes.

Teammates have a tendency to defer to great players & expect them to carry the group, sometimes standing around or not asserting themselves individually like they would or are capable of otherwise-- perhaps even with a confidence erosion to boot. Aside from giving the likes of Caroline Ducharme a big opportunity to play, acclimate, & shine-- & Azzi Fudd the same without Paige overshadowing her & the team clearly needing her at times, thereby forcing her aggression (@ Depaul, etc.), Paige's absence has allowed every player & the team collectively to stand on their own feet & prove to themselves that they are good & can play at a high level, without such dependency. This is a massive psychological shift that is necessary for any team to achieve greatness, regardless of the caliber of any individual player.

Note that Stanford had a protracted, months-long stretch of road games most of their regular slate last year due to COVID. When they won the title, Tara Van Derveer & her players cited coalescing in the face of this adversity to enable overcoming it. Growth often comes from discomfort. Sometimes stuff happens that on its face is or seems terrible but in fact can become a positive over time, depending on how it is handled and/or future developments. I am reminded of the following Zen master proverb from the film, Charlie Wilson's War:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Excerpt below from Chantel Jennings' weekly NCAA WBB Rankings piece today, supporting this thread assertion:

UConn’s Paige Bueckers returned Friday after missing the majority of the season with a knee injury that required surgery. My colleague Charlotte Carroll was in Storrs, Conn., for the sophomore’s return and captured the game perfectly. All I have to add: Depending on how quickly Bueckers’ minutes restriction works its way down to no restriction, UConn could be extra dangerous in the NCAA Tournament. As I said throughout the season, the silver lining for teams with multiple injured players is that players who might not otherwise get game reps and confidence do. And for UConn, that’s just the case. Caroline Ducharme likely doesn’t get the kind of extended minutes she saw this season if not for teammates’ injuries. Nika Mühl might not have (as obviously) added leadership duties to her plate if not for the injuries. Aaliyah Edwards isn’t getting the most shot attempts of any big on the roster if not for the injuries. For a team that ran seven deep at several points this season, the Huskies enter the postseason with some serious depth and (finally) a healthy roster.

Reaction Score
Excerpt below from Chantel Jennings' weekly NCAA WBB Rankings piece today, supporting this thread assertion:

UConn’s Paige Bueckers returned Friday after missing the majority of the season with a knee injury that required surgery. My colleague Charlotte Carroll was in Storrs, Conn., for the sophomore’s return and captured the game perfectly. All I have to add: Depending on how quickly Bueckers’ minutes restriction works its way down to no restriction, UConn could be extra dangerous in the NCAA Tournament. As I said throughout the season, the silver lining for teams with multiple injured players is that players who might not otherwise get game reps and confidence do. And for UConn, that’s just the case. Caroline Ducharme likely doesn’t get the kind of extended minutes she saw this season if not for teammates’ injuries. Nika Mühl might not have (as obviously) added leadership duties to her plate if not for the injuries. Aaliyah Edwards isn’t getting the most shot attempts of any big on the roster if not for the injuries. For a team that ran seven deep at several points this season, the Huskies enter the postseason with some serious depth and (finally) a healthy roster.
True enough. And no one gets a Player like Paige back at the beginning of the tournament. There is only one of her.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
In past years, Geno has referenced the unfortunate dependence on certain players, and when that is taken away, who steps up, who knows how to step up? There didn't seem to be anyone in 2017 or 2018 that would just grab hold and take charge when it was needed in the semis. His other observation of winning "everything" covers up the stuff that no one wants to work on.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

There were a couple of games where we ran six deep.

7 Deep
UCLA (W)
Louisville (L)
Creighton 2X (W/W)
Providence (W)

6 Deep
Oregon (L)
St. John's (W)
Villanova (L)
Marquette (W)

There were also two games where there were minimum minutes played that would have considered insignificant. Georgia Tech (L) had eight players, but one of them was Mir who played only 2 minutes. While the Tennessee (W) game also had eight players, with Piath playing 4 minutes and Amari 1 minute. So four of UConn's five losses were basically with either 6 or 7 players. If this had happened to SC, Stanford, NC State, or Louisville, how many losses would they have?

Reaction Score
There were a couple of games where we ran six deep.

7 Deep
UCLA (W)
Louisville (L)
Creighton 2X (W/W)
Providence (W)

6 Deep
Oregon (L)
St. John's (W)
Villanova (L)
Marquette (W)

There were also two games where there were minimum minutes played that would have considered insignificant. Georgia Tech (L) had eight players, but one of them was Mir who played only 2 minutes. While the Tennessee (W) game also had eight players, with Piath playing 4 minutes and Amari 1 minute. So four of UConn's five losses were basically with either 6 or 7 players. If this had happened to SC, Stanford, NC State, or Louisville, how many losses would they have?
If you take Boston out of the line up for 19 games for SC they have at least 5 loses. Stanford might weather injuries better than most, they are spread out with a deep roster. Engstler or Van Lith out of L-Ville line up and they would have 3-4 additional loses.

On the good news, UConn gets to payback Villanova one week from tonight (DePaul will be a fine tune up). Wouldn't it be nice to get a full strength rematch with Oregon, L-Ville, or Georgia Tech? The rematch with SC will take place on April 1 or 3.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If you take Boston out of the line up for 19 games for SC they have at least 5 loses. Stanford might weather injuries better than most, they are spread out with a deep roster. Engstler or Van Lith out of L-Ville line up and they would have 3-4 additional loses.

On the good news, UConn gets to payback Villanova one week from tonight (DePaul will be a fine tune up). Wouldn't it be nice to get a full strength rematch with Oregon, L-Ville, or Georgia Tech? The rematch with SC will take place on April 1 or 3.
Whoever UConn plays on 3/5, they can't look past them. If it's DePaul they will have an ax to grind and needs the win to have a chance of getting into the tournament. I believe that there is a possibility that the 4 teams in the BE Semi-Finals have a chance of making the dance.

Reaction Score
Agreed MSGRET. Geno will have them ready to play the opponent on 3/5. They will not look past

Reaction Score
I don't think there's any doubt that Paige's absence both forced, and enabled, the growth of numerous players, especially our bigs, but also Caroline. We're a much better, and more balanced, team right now. Even Paige's deferrence to the players around her when she in the game is significant, and in some ways a tribute to what the team has become in her absence.

What's cool is that the Paige-Azzi Show is waiting in the wings, ready to step forward if needed. Imagine having two weapons like that currently playing the role of supporting characters. Then, imagine trying to prepare for something that you know exists, but has been mostly invisible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We don't know if Paige will be able to get completely back in time. It's still an open question. I do agree with the overall principle though.

Reaction Score
We don't know if Paige will be able to get completely back in time. It's still an open question. I do agree with the overall principle though.

Paige has been practicing for a week. The first round of the tournament is March 18. That would provide Paige with 4 weeks of practice and 5-6 games I believe. Add in an extra week for the sweet 16 and thats 5 weeks which is the equivalent of the pre-season. Paige should be good to go at 100%.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Paige has been practicing for a week. The first round of the tournament is March 18. That would provide Paige with 4 weeks of practice and 5-6 games I believe. Add in an extra week for the sweet 16 and thats 5 weeks which is the equivalent of the pre-season. Paige should be good to go at 100%.
As much as I dislike the long delay between the BE tourney and the NCAA, this year it's an unexpected and added bonus for our team to heal up and work out the options.

Reaction Score
What I like most is the extra scoring punch that the team has shown since Paige's return.

For most of the season, it seemed like they were scoring around 70 points, game in and game out. That was never going to be enough. But if they can reliably drop 80 on their opponents, that combined with the defense that's been on display all season that gives them a real chance to go all the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom