"She's the Rookie of the Year in my eyes." | The Boneyard

"She's the Rookie of the Year in my eyes."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
'Course she's a little bit prejudiced... maybe. Ms. Fowles that is.

"She came in and had to move from a four to a three and that's hard in itself," Lynx center Sylvia Fowles said. "Just changing her whole identity, that's a big step for her. She rolled up and accepted the challenges. I've seen some good rookies, and there are some good rookies out there this year, but no one is doing what she's doing on both ends of the court. By far, she's the Rookie of the Year in my eyes."

Former UConn standout Napheesa Collier having stellar rookie season for the Minnesota Lynx

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
'Course she's a little bit prejudiced... maybe. Ms. Fowles that is.

"She came in and had to move from a four to a three and that's hard in itself," Lynx center Sylvia Fowles said. "Just changing her whole identity, that's a big step for her. She rolled up and accepted the challenges. I've seen some good rookies, and there are some good rookies out there this year, but no one is doing what she's doing on both ends of the court. By far, she's the Rookie of the Year in my eyes."

Former UConn standout Napheesa Collier having stellar rookie season for the Minnesota Lynx

I love the quote by Seimone: "DON'T @ ME" :D:cool:

Reaction Score
She is just so fantastic...........in so many ways. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Arike runs away with the award. Most of the emphasis seems to be on scoring, and she's 7th in the league at the moment. Certainly worthy. Phee has been too inconsistent offensively, even tho the rest of her game is superior.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Seems like the only thing the announcers stressed during the Dallas game recently was her being the leading scorer of all the rookies. No mention that she has taken more shots and that her scoring average is only four to five points higher than Collier's. The complete game should be considered but it looks like that will not be the case. Collier will probably have to start scoring more in her last few games. There are a couple of players on Dallas that probably don't like Arike being the go to player while they have been relegated to a lesser role.

Reaction Score
Dallas is pretty much out of the playoffs, so they have nothing to lose by letting Ogunbowale play me-ball. Oddly enough, the me-ball has been working for them in the last couple of games. :confused:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm already on record, but lest I be redundant. She has MY vote. I'm going to speak for all of UConn Nation and say that she's OUR ROY. The media and the league may not think so, that's no concern of ours. She has the admiration and support of those she cherishes most. She has our full support 100%!! - and rightfully so. ;)

Reaction Score
Seems like the only thing the announcers stressed during the Dallas game recently was her being the leading scorer of all the rookies. No mention that she has taken more shots and that her scoring average is only four to five points higher than Collier's. The complete game should be considered but it looks like that will not be the case. Collier will probably have to start scoring more in her last few games. There are a couple of players on Dallas that probably don't like Arike being the go to player while they have been relegated to a lesser role.

To be fair that "only four to five points" is roughly 50% of Collier's scoring average. I understand Collier does so many things besides score well, but that is a significant stat that will be considered when they vote. As well how you finish a season vs how you start. Those numbers are trending Arike's way as well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dallas is pretty much out of the playoffs, so they have nothing to lose by letting Ogunbowale play me-ball. Oddly enough, the me-ball has been working for them in the last couple of games. :confused:

That's right. Plus, Arike is able to call her own number which she does quite often. AO leads her team in FGAs by a lot. Phee 4th on the Lynx in FGAs and 3rd in scoring. She's probably getting fewer attempts now with Seimone back and Dantas healthy again. Just two different situations. Factoring in all aspects of the game Phee has had the better rookie season but points are what matter to the voters and they don't really care how many shots it takes to score them.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Interestingly, both Arike and Collier have been playing better, stats wise, since the All Star break. I think Collier has had the better overall season, but Arike has had quite a few flashy games since the break. I also maintain that McCowan (who is averaging 10ppg and 8rpg in just under 19min per game since the all stare break) may end up being the best of them all.

ARIKE
Pre All Star: 14.2ppg, 33.6 FG%, 28.3% 3-pt FG, 2.7rpg, 2.4apg
Post All Star: 21.5ppg, 44.4 FG%, 45.9% 3-pt FG, 1.6rpg, 3.5apg

COLLIER
Pre All Star: 11.2ppg, 44.6 FG%, 32% 3-pt FG, 6.2rpg, 2.3apg
Post All Star: 14.3ppg, 51.9 FG%, 40% 3-pt FG, 7.1rpg, 2.9apg

Reaction Score
This is always the thing with UConn players. They are well taught all around players who touch every stat and operate with efficiency. They are not flashy inefficient scorers. Awards always come down to whether the voters look at all the stats or the flashy headlines. I'm a purest so I look at all the stats and Collier wins the all around for me (gymnastics comparison) and then you can give the points award to Arike.....

Reaction Score
I think Arike runs away with the award. Most of the emphasis seems to be on scoring, and she's 7th in the league at the moment. Certainly worthy. Phee has been too inconsistent offensively, even tho the rest of her game is superior.

With few mores games to go, why not also have her in the running for MVP...only 3 points she needs? :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With few mores games to go, why not also have her in the running for MVP...only 3 points she needs? :rolleyes:

MVP usually has that annoying winning criteria.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom