Shea Ralph explains the difference between UConn and TN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shea Ralph explains the difference between UConn and TN

Reaction Score
Jordy, I have always felt that Shea, not Rebecca was our first truly national recruit. While Rebecca was well known in the East and especially New England, Shea was being recruited by every school from Stanford to Tennessee, to Boston College. Also, she had an amazing career considering two very traumatic ACL injuries. She got as much if not more than any player who has ever put on a Uconn uniform.
Lobo was recruited by about 100 schools across the country including Stanford, ND, Duke and Vanderbilt. That’s a national recruit. And Shea Ralph had FIVE ACL surgeries.

Reaction Score
I want to know who the Assistant Coach is going to be when Geno and CD retire. I also believe Shea is the front runner for head coach but who takes over for C.D. Geno said in an interview that if CD left him during those early years after they had a big argument, he probably would have ended up driving a truck in Philly. So her importance has not gone unnoticed by Geno so who takes her place. I need to know. So when anyone has the answer I would appreciate you sharing it with us. Thanks :)
Pretty sure they have already been clear that they’ll leave together.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Interesting point Gus, re: MW
Some of this has been discussed before, but a reprise is warranted

MW had some serious bug up her behind that we'll probably never be able to fathom...It's her private business and I'm reasonably sure she won't share it.

But based on subsequent events, events that she would have had time to consider; she had to have known that her prospects for playing a meaningful WNBA season this summer was somewhere between limited and nil.

The makes her desire to end her college career profound.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If Shea doesn't get hurt, she would be talked about in the same breath as Maya, D and Stewie.

She had the complete package., including mentality.

Been watching a bunch of old games that I hadn't seen before; (we all have the time... and unlike some, I'm a relative Johnny come lately).

My (initial) impression of Shea's body of work is that she was
a wonderful, skilled player, with a relentless motor and a fierce disposition...

But to compare her talent level to three of the greatest players in the history of the game ...even possibly the 3 greatest (and I'm not talking just about UConn) ...

How do I put this in the most respectful way?...
Is unfair to Shea. :)

Reaction Score
My prediction is Carla Berube has the best shot to replace Geno. None of his other players/coaches have been as successful as head coaches as she has been (need more time to be sure about Marisa who's 33-26 in her first two years), and Geno personally pushed for Carla to go after the Princeton job. She had already had a great career at Tufts and made them a nationally prominent program and she got the Princeton job, had an outstanding year, and proved her success at Tufts was not a fluke.

It's hard enough to replace a legend if you're an experienced head coach and Shea has never been a head coach. Look at Holly at TN and Ollie at UConn. Both had no head coaching experience and ultimately failed and the failures seemed to be related to their inability to manage a program, not the x's and o's.

Reaction Score
While my favorite player is Jen Rizzotti, Shea is right up there. She was tough as nails! Even if I was my youthful self, I wouldn't want to try to take a charge with Shea coming at me! BTW she's still tough as nails!
Love the reshowing of older videos. Never fully realized how good Shea was and how physical her game was. Among the best at throwing her body around and always moving at full speed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My prediction is Carla Berube has the best shot to replace Geno.

I fundamentally agree; with the following caveats.

1. She must be willing to abandon (what I expect) to be a series of successful (triumphant?) Princeton seasons and be willing and ambitious enough to move up to a power conference.

2. Aside from success at the next level, she will have to demonstrate aptitude both in recruiting of players and assistant coaches.

Her first test comes this season (if we have one) with the graduation of her star forward Bella.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom