She Rode The Bench For Geno - Now She's The Star | The Boneyard

She Rode The Bench For Geno - Now She's The Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma & Co: one of the very best college educations possible: Gay went from high school star, to UConn bench sitter, to corporate success because of what she learned from UConn WCBB. Absolutely awesome stuff.

“In high school, I was a 25-points-per-game player, but sitting center stage at UConn, I was on the second team,” Gay recalled. “My main job was to make the starters better, and I struggled with accepting that. My pride and my head got in the way.”

Riding the bench tested Gay’s emotional strength and belief in her abilities. It was a physically and mentally taxing process, but over time Gay was able to find her feet and thrive in the supporting role that her coaches and team needed her to play.

“Every single element of my game was broken down and reformatted. Trust in myself, teammates and coaches was a really important part of my journey,” Gay said. “I had to be resilient and really believe that the new me was the person UConn needed. I was determined to help this team and work for playing time.”

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma & Co: one of the very best college educations possible: Gay went from high school star, to UConn bench sitter, to corporate success because of what she learned from UConn WCBB. Absolutely awesome stuff.

“In high school, I was a 25-points-per-game player, but sitting center stage at UConn, I was on the second team,” Gay recalled. “My main job was to make the starters better, and I struggled with accepting that. My pride and my head got in the way.”

Riding the bench tested Gay’s emotional strength and belief in her abilities. It was a physically and mentally taxing process, but over time Gay was able to find her feet and thrive in the supporting role that her coaches and team needed her to play.

“Every single element of my game was broken down and reformatted. Trust in myself, teammates and coaches was a really important part of my journey,” Gay said. “I had to be resilient and really believe that the new me was the person UConn needed. I was determined to help this team and work for playing time.”

job was to make the starters better, and I struggled with accepting that. People who are goal oriented and driven to succeed as Gay apparently was in HS and beyond, would struggle with being--a sitter.
She learned a lot at uConn --most about time management long term and how to create a TEAM atmosphere.

Reaction Score
Yup, and her final conclusion is something that this year's team should keep in mind:

"Athletes, like corporate leaders, see the long game. They know that you might lose a game today, but you’re going to win the championship later.”

Reaction Score
When opponent's fans knock UCONN WBB and then attack us as fans and are shocked at our return attack they don't understand that we're defending the total program, not just what you see on the Tube on game day but the total success Geno & crew on campus give to the players through 4 or 5 years! They realize that it's the TOTAL PERSON that has to go out into the world with more than BB skills to survive! It's stories like Kelly's that make me appreciate UCONN WBB even more!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When opponent's fans knock UCONN WBB and then attack us as fans and are shocked at our return attack they don't understand that we're defending the total program, not just what you see on the Tube on game day but the total success Geno & crew on campus give to the players through 4 or 5 years! They realize that it's the TOTAL PERSON that has to go out into the world with more than BB skills to survive! It's stories like Kelly's that make me appreciate UCONN WBB even more!
Nice - and some of my favorite stories are about the 'also rans' of Uconn WCBB - the players that filled a role on the team that was far from 'star' but took ownership of it and did it with all their being, and took that into their life after basketball.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This article explains why we love UConn WBB, the players, the coaches and especially Geno & CD.

Its about the total program, not just the x's and o's on the court. Its the life lessons learned during those 4 years. Its the developing of these life skills and leadership skills that bear fruit down the road.

Kelley is a prime example of the success of the program. And we all know there are many more.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This article explains why we love UConn WBB, the players, the coaches and especially Geno & CD.

Its about the total program, not just the x's and o's on the court. Its the life lessons learned during those 4 years. Its the developing of these life skills and leadership skills that bear fruit down the road.

Kelley is a prime example of the success of the program. And we all know there are many more.

Indeed- being a scholarship player at UConn contributes mightily to great success in life after UConn.

And what a beautiful woman!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog