OT: - Shawn Bradley Paralyzed Bike Accident | The Boneyard

OT: Shawn Bradley Paralyzed Bike Accident

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The big stick and one of the more curious players of the past 25 years.

Had a ton of skill and everyone figured he'd just add 70 lbs and become dominant. I remember something about the 76'ers putting him on 7k-8k calorie per day diet to put on pounds.

Never did reach the level (nice pun Chin) that was expected of him. Instead of next Kareem he was a better version of Manute Bol. He had a nice run of 4-5 years of 12-14 points, 8 boards and 3 blocks, but was no where near what people were projecting for him.

Shawn Bradley bike accident: Ex-NBA player paralyzed in bicycle crash (usatoday.com)

Reaction Score
Very sad - he was only 49 years old, a block from his house. I ride most days - some drivers seem oblivious.

Reaction Score
When the accident happened almost a year ago - awfully young to be paralyzed

Reaction Score
Hard to picture a guy 7' 6" riding a bike. That customized bike must've cost some bucks.

Reaction Score
You can be hurt doing many things but I don’t get the appeal of bike riding. To get any exercise benefit you have to be out there forever. Love the outdoors right? There are people to dodge on the paths and cars on the road making it almost the same as motorcycle risk. The helmet and elbow pads makes one look like a doofus. Indoor machine that elevates for running or walking are best or just do places with sidewalks. A friend of mines aunt lost her life hit by a bicycle on a sidewalk. Goes to hospital where it all went wrong. Dead. We all know many people who had accidents on bikes where it wasn’t their fault. kids in neighborhoods are one thing but forget it for adults. Get a real workout.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Very sad - he was only 49 years old, a block from his house. I ride most days - some drivers seem oblivious.
No many drivers ARE oblivious and more focused on things other than driving

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This wasn’t a bike accident. He was run down from behind.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
You can be hurt doing many things but I don’t get the appeal of bike riding. To get any exercise benefit you have to be out there forever. Love the outdoors right? There are people to dodge on the paths and cars on the road making it almost the same as motorcycle risk. The helmet and elbow pads makes one look like a doofus. Indoor machine that elevates for running or walking are best or just do places with sidewalks. A friend of mines aunt lost her life hit by a bicycle on a sidewalk. Goes to hospital where it all went wrong. Dead. We all know many people who had accidents on bikes where it wasn’t their fault. kids in neighborhoods are one thing but forget it for adults. Get a real workout.

I could not disagree more.
Perhaps you should try high intensity workouts on a bike. High heart rate exercise is high quality exercise. Sure, lolligagging is not a great workout, but most serious bike riders ride hard, high intensity.
The quality of the road is important. I choose to live in an area with great roads for bicycling.
I grew up in Conn riding my bike, never had a problem with cars.
I probably have ridden more than 100,000 miles on my bikes, I had perhaps two problems with cars. I make sure I'm seen, good rear lights, bright color jerseys.
I'm 72 and can't walk due to ankle problems, but I can ride my upright bike at high heart rates, 75-95% of max, for 75 minutes 4 times a week.

Reaction Score
Very sad.

Almost walked into him in a lobby of a hotel in DC, I was just coming in throught the door. 7-5 (or whaterever he is) is very strange to stand next to. His date was shorter than me. Wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

Reaction Score

Treadmill running blows. Indoor bikes blow (yes, including the peloton).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Treadmill running blows. Indoor bikes blow (yes, including the peloton).
Agree on both fronts, and would add all gyms.

But better than not exercising at all when either extreme weather or wear and tear on your joints prevents you from being able to exercise outside.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I could not disagree more.
Perhaps you should try high intensity workouts on a bike. High heart rate exercise is high quality exercise. Sure, lolligagging is not a great workout, but most serious bike riders ride hard, high intensity.
The quality of the road is important. I choose to live in an area with great roads for bicycling.
I grew up in Conn riding my bike, never had a problem with cars.
I probably have ridden more than 100,000 miles on my bikes, I had perhaps two problems with cars. I make sure I'm seen, good rear lights, bright color jerseys.
I'm 72 and can't walk due to ankle problems, but I can ride my upright bike at high heart rates, 75-95% of max, for 75 minutes 4 times a week.
the real magic of live, on the ground bicycle riding, particularly for the aging cycler, is the sooo obvious yet rarely mentioned benefit of exercising our balance mechanism, even if it's just a ten minute jaunt on a flat road around the hood a few times a week. doesn't happen on a stationary cycle.
the ancients liked to say 'mens sana in corpore sano.' the 'mens' part comes first.
a healthy mind beats everything. always. stress kills. the part of the ride with fresh air, saying hi to the neighbors, sunshine, and etc are pretty cool, too.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
c768e09d292f40a9698a0d6d925f0a95.jpg

Reaction Score
Jibsey, might not be a great space to challenge your bad take ... probably better to send thoughts and prayers to Shawn and family. But ...

Nothing makes me or many folks smile like biking. I don't care if riding a beater to the store, or some carbon full suspension wonderbike through the rough. Be out there forever? If you could hold my tire for 2 minutes up to the Rez watertower, I'd bet huge $$ you'd puke. Look like a doofus? I get chills thinking about seeing my crew all padded/helmeted up and ready to ride - bada$$es. Get a real workout? Mtbing is a full body workout - not just legs, but core and arms also get punished. You might be surprised how physically challenging it can be going down hill, let alone up one.

Anyone who suggests indoor machines probably doesn't value the outdoors or riding with a solid crew of friends. Most who do ride a lot love every aspect ... the physical, the mental, being outdoors, being with friends, fixing mechanicals, upgrading, getting more folks to experience the awesomeness and watching them improve.

I'd say there are no bad rides, but I guess Shawn proves that wrong. Good luck on the physical/mental recovery big fella.

Reaction Score
Jibsey, might not be a great space to challenge your bad take ... probably better to send thoughts and prayers to Shawn and family. But ...

Nothing makes me or many folks smile like biking. I don't care if riding a beater to the store, or some carbon full suspension wonderbike through the rough. Be out there forever? If you could hold my tire for 2 minutes up to the Rez watertower, I'd bet huge $$ you'd puke. Look like a doofus? I get chills thinking about seeing my crew all padded/helmeted up and ready to ride - bada$$es. Get a real workout? Mtbing is a full body workout - not just legs, but core and arms also get punished. You might be surprised how physically challenging it can be going down hill, let alone up one.

Anyone who suggests indoor machines probably doesn't value the outdoors or riding with a solid crew of friends. Most who do ride a lot love every aspect ... the physical, the mental, being outdoors, being with friends, fixing mechanicals, upgrading, getting more folks to experience the awesomeness and watching them improve.

I'd say there are no bad rides, but I guess Shawn proves that wrong. Good luck on the physical/mental recovery big fella.
I get that looking at trees is nicer.
I'm against motorcycles too and I had one in my youth. Drivers do not pay attention and now they are texting. It's freaking dangerous. I don't like bike seats, they hurt the butt and package, and that goes for Peloton which can be a tremendous workout. Just my preference.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'You might be surprised how physically challenging it can be going down hill, '

lol. 3 years ago, at copper mtn, i was bored at our pace coming down, so i took what, in retrospect, was a shorter (black diamond?) fall line trail to beat the gang to the next trail intersection. aboot 30 seconds in, i tumble, and keep sliding and tumbling all the rest of the way down. lying there near the intersection, my pals are off their rides, doubling over in laughter as i dusted off. im not much of a black diamond boarder or skier, or bicycler, apparently. lesson to self, i ain't tony hawk.
Tony Hawk in Tears After Landing 'Last-Ever Ollie 540' on Video | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
now, aboot the multiple times i've rolled a golf cart on the wet grass hill descent- don't do that. course management gets very ornery once u tell them 'relax, i ain't suing you. my bad.' i've really cut back on moves like these as they tend to leave you with raspberries, ouchies, and a sudden need for ibu.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom