Shame on the Courant | The Boneyard

Shame on the Courant

Reaction Score
Didn’t even bother to send a reporter. Generic AP story. Page 4 in the print edition. I get this program is way down but they are the paper of record in this state Gotta do better
Orlando or Bahamas
Bahamas or Orlando

One of few sports reporters left > Bahamas to cover both WBB/MBB. Amore was @ Yale/Harvard @ Bowl.

Reaction Score
Orlando or Bahamas
Bahamas or Orlando

One of few sports reporters left > Bahamas to cover both WBB/MBB. Amore was @ Yale/Harvard @ Bowl.

By my count the Courant now has four sports reporters, and they are probably stretched to the limit. Dom Amore seems to cover everything under the sun. They have a new reporter covering UConn men's basketball, another reporter covering women's basketball. Lori Riley seems to primarily cover high school sports among other things, she had a couple stories in the the Sunday paper. None of them are resting on their laurels, they all seem to be quite busy.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the paper of record was bought by a hedge fund.
And I thought hedge funds people were smart… no one reads newspapers anymore (except the 3 we still get, when someone delivers).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
And I thought hedge funds people were smart… no one reads newspapers anymore (except the 3 we still get, when someone delivers).
They bought them for 15 cents on the dollar.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It can both be true that the courant is a shell if it’s former self and that it wasn’t worth covering this game in person. I imagine the cost/benefit changes if we weren’t…. you know… what we have become.

Reaction Score
1637603449990.gif

Reaction Score
Didn’t even bother to send a reporter. Generic AP story. Page 4 in the print edition. I get this program is way down but they are the paper of record in this state Gotta do better
They are owned by vulture capital. Don't you understand what is going on? They are extracting as much wealth as possible before it closes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They need to cover hockey first. Those guys are winning.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's a rag that has suffered because of zero competition in the greater Hartford Market
Plus the fact that they report with one decided slant
Wish it was dead already

Reaction Score
It's a rag that has suffered because of zero competition in the greater Hartford Market
Wish it was dead already

To me it is sad to see any newspaper die or getting close to death. To me It is even sadder when a community loses its newspaper, no matter how poor the paper might have been.

I would probably feel this way no matter what, but I am no doubt partly influenced by the fact that my wife is a newspaper reporter.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
They are owned by vulture capital. Don't you understand what is going on? They are extracting as much wealth as possible before it closes.
How?

Reaction Score
How?
Too long to summarize here. There have been articles in the NYTs and New Yorker if you want the details. They are doing this to the parent company too. Both newspapers were profitable, but there is a bigger return available in extraction followed by liquidation.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Too long to summarize here. There have been articles in the NYTs and New Yorker if you want the details. They are doing this to the parent company too. Both newspapers were profitable, but there is a bigger return available in extraction followed by liquidation.
Link?

Reaction Score
Just Google it. In the case of the Chicago Tribune and the Courant, the extractor is Alden Global Capital.

Reaction Score
Wish it was dead already
Yeah, that’s not why it has suffered. Print newspapers are dying which is a shame.

Reaction Score
The Hartford Courant is a historical paper and the longest continuously published paper so at the very least it's a trophy.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sad the the largest and oldest paper in America has been stripped as it has been

Sadly print media is for old folks now as younger people read everything they want on their phones

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom