Shabazz with Puerto Rico National Team ahead of FIBA qualifiers. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shabazz with Puerto Rico National Team ahead of FIBA qualifiers.

Reaction Score
So its a money thing? In the NBA?
Money and youth...a lot of these teams are trying to stay under the cap and want cheap bench players. Also, newer GM’s want to see how THEIR draft picks develop, not a guy that was drafted years ago. Shabazz would definitely play for the veterans minimum. But I’m pretty sure a second round pick is still cheaper than that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tremont Waters is with the Celtics. Last man on the bench. Living the dream.
Bazz was there also. Tremont's clock to Europe or the G League is ticking loudly

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bazz isnt the shortest guy in the NBA. Hes not in the league because teams feel hes just not good enough, not because of his height.
That's only about 30% accurate.
There are tons of players better than many who are the last 3 on the roster strength of most teams - economics play a much bigger part than you realize. A lot of guys don't want to be practice fodder.

Reaction Score
i was just thinking of the 2014 championship game. except for julius randle, who else on that kentucky team is still in the nba?

Reaction Score
Money and youth...a lot of these teams are trying to stay under the cap and want cheap bench players.
What's the minimum Bazz could play for? I think it's about $2 million for a veteran with 6 years service time. That would seem to be pocket change in the NBA if a team thought he could help. He does seem to be better than a lot of backups in the league.

Reaction Score
That youre not as qualified as you think you are to judge NBA talent.
In this case, he's right. I do think it has a lot to do with vesting in the league and veteran minimums. Basically, he aged out. Was not good enough to be a top 10 player on an NBA team, but he's much better than the 13-16 guys on the Celtics. I'm just comparing him to Tremont Waters, for instance.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
In this case, he's right. I do think it has a lot to do with vesting in the league and veteran minimums. Basically, he aged out. Was not good enough to be a top 10 player on an NBA team, but he's much better than the 13-16 guys on the Celtics. I'm just comparing him to Tremont Waters, for instance.

And Teague....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Bazz was better than at least 3 other pgs the Celtics are carrying...what does that tell you?
Carson Edwards and Tremont Waters are at least cheap. But Teague?!?

Reaction Score
Shabazz is one of my favorite players but I understand why he's not playing. A player of his stature needs to be a better shooter. He's under 40% for his career and under 35% from 3. And while a decent defender he does get abused when being backed down. Still he's had enough good games that he's proved he can come in, run an offense, and win some games.

the Q

Reaction Score

It’s not 2015 anymore. Teague had a better peak. But he’s extra crispy right now.

the Q

Reaction Score

But I’ll say that it’s also not in a vacuum. It’s about fit and I can see why Danny thought Teague was a better fit for the roster.

I also see why he liked Edwards (good shooter in college who played like he was 6-6 according to one fun metric) and waters (steals dynamo in college), but those missed too.

The NBA talent pool is not a perfect science. Some guys can totally fix their shooting strokes and change their lives completely (ie antwan Jamison, Michael redd, kawhi Leonard...even jaylen brown fits here) and others never figure it out or can’t carry it over (Edwards is a good example of the latter).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom