Shabazz Napier D League: 26 points | The Boneyard

Shabazz Napier D League: 26 points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I needed a Bazz fix and found this gem from Saturday's game. Bazz seems too good for D-League and for some reason, not yet the NBA.

With more games like this, getting valuable court time and experience, by next season he should be never see the D League again. Plus the Heat have invested in him. But still it does seem like he doesn't belong there.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He is not in the D-League because of skill. It's simply playing time. Whether or not Spoelstra is giving him the shaft is a different question (and one I'm not sure I want the answer to due to the number of conspiracy kitties that would pop out of the woodworks).

Also, not to knock a great performance, but D-League stats aren't to be taken too seriously. Look who he went up against: http://www.nba.com/dleague/grandrapids/roster/

Reaction Score
He is not in the D-League because of skill. It's simply playing time. Whether or not Spoelstra is giving him the shaft is a different question (and one I'm not sure I want the answer to due to the number of conspiracy kitties that would pop out of the woodworks).

Also, not to knock a great performance, but D-League stats aren't to be taken too seriously. Look who he went up against: http://www.nba.com/dleague/grandrapids/roster/
Wow, Thabeet sighting on that roster. How the mighty have fallen.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Wow, Thabeet sighting on that roster. How the mighty have fallen.

Hoping he can get those numbers up. I'd really like to see him get called up at some point.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

So if he's not there (D-league) due to skill, but playing time, are you saying the Miami Heat believe Norris Cole has more skill than Bazz, and therefore his only chance at PT is outside of Miami?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
So if he's not there (D-league) due to skill, but playing time, are you saying the Miami Heat believe Norris Cole has more skill than Bazz, and therefore his only chance at PT is outside of Miami?

Way to put words in my mouth bud. I said nothing about leaving Miami. Things are fluid in the league - Cole or Chalmers could be traded, injuries could force Bazz into a more prominent role. I've seen people here mention that Cole could be showcased for potential trade partners and that does make sense to me.

Also, Spoelstra isn't used to handling rookies. Since 2008, he's had 3 on roster: Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers, and Dexter Pittman, none of whom were world-beaters. There are probably trust issues there because of that.

Reaction Score
Hoping he can get those numbers up. I'd really like to see him get called up at some point.
With his height he will get called up I'm sure at some point. Primarily for his height though.

Back in the day on the playground when we would pick teams it was always the tallest dudes getting picked first (to my chagrin) regardless of skills. Height ruled. I 'still' don't think the NBA is much different from playground selections.

Reaction Score
Rumored attitude problems? That seems odd. I mean, unless that just means he's not happy about playing time, which would seem to be pretty normal considering what the Heat are trotting out at PG.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Bazz needs to work on his defense. He has to do better at keeping opposing point guards in front of him. Remember that is was Boat's job to harass the opposing point guard last year.

Reaction Score
You have to take D-League stats with a grain of salt. I honestly don't think they play defense there. If you look at the guys racking up points, you would be very surprised. Most are averaging 10+ ppg than they did in college, not because they are better either.... and those who had brief stints in the NBA look like All Stars...

Roscoe Smith averages 21 ppg, 12 rpg
Brady Heslip leads the league at scoring at 28 ppg (yes, that Brady)
Seth Curry averages 26 ppg
Quincy Miller 25 ppg
JaMychal Green 22 ppg
Damien Wilken 22 ppg
Elliot Williams 21 ppg
Me 15.7 ppg (I've got a dynamic hook shot & set shot)

http://stats.nbadleague.com/leadersGrid.html?StatCategory=PTS&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Brady Heslip leads the league at scoring at 28 ppg (yes, that Brady)

There's a story behind that. His coach in Reno is the son of the architect of Grinnell College's batsh1t-insane offense (the one that helped that kid set the NCAA scoring record). The Kings hired him to experiment with the same system in the D-League.

Reaction Score
There's a story behind that. His coach in Reno is the son of the architect of Grinnell College's batsh1t-insane offense (the one that helped that kid set the NCAA scoring record). The Kings hired him to experiment with the same system in the D-League.

Then the Kings should have held onto Jimmer... imagine what he would average by jacking up 63 shots a game!

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Way to put words in my mouth bud. I said nothing about leaving Miami. Things are fluid in the league - Cole or Chalmers could be traded, injuries could force Bazz into a more prominent role. I've seen people here mention that Cole could be showcased for potential trade partners and that does make sense to me.

Also, Spoelstra isn't used to handling rookies. Since 2008, he's had 3 on roster: Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers, and Dexter Pittman, none of whom were world-beaters. There are probably trust issues there because of that.

Thanks Bud!
:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member