Seven Games in December- Simply Amazing! One Left! | The Boneyard

Seven Games in December- Simply Amazing! One Left!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The string of games and wins this December has been tantamount to the NCAA tournament. Here's what Connecticut has done so far this month:

12/1 (#15) DePaul W 91 - 46
12/4 (#14) Texas W 72 - 54
12/7 (#1) Notre Dame W 72 - 61
12/11 (now #24) Kansas State W 75 - 58
12/19 (#12) Ohio State W 82 - 63
12/21 (unranked) Nebraska W 84 - 41

So five games against ranked teams of six games. That's what a team could expect to face in the NCAA's. Yet this team, with a way undersized center, and playing two games without a backcourt sub, won every one of them!

This is one for the ages. Don't know how many other teams have faced this sort of a string, and that's not including the five games in November, including against #2 Baylor and #7 Florida State.

One more game in December to the streak!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
The string of games and wins this December has been tantamount to the NCAA tournament. Here's what Connecticut has done so far this month:

So five games against ranked teams of six games. That's what a team could expect to face in the NCAA's. Yet this team, with a way undersized center, and playing two games without a backcourt sub, won every one of them!

This is one for the ages. Don't know how many other teams have faced this sort of a string, and that's not including the five games in November, including against #2 Baylor and #7 Florida State.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

I'm happy, but I'm looking for that one game streak in April 2017.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Uconn is probably ripe for a loss the next game. I say this only because they have not been as sharp as Geno wants them to be and most BY'ers have seen it. However, if Uconn can play four strong quarters against Maryland including lock down defense, I believe they will win. The loud crowd should not be much of a factor after playing in front of ND's loud capacity crowd. I think it will take at least 80 points to secure the win.

Reaction Score
Uconn is probably ripe for a loss the next game. I say this only because they have not been as sharp as Geno wants them to be and most BY'ers have seen it. However, if Uconn can play four strong quarters against Maryland including lock down defense, I believe they will win. The loud crowd should not be much of a factor after playing in front of ND's loud capacity crowd. I think it will take at least 80 points to secure the win.

They've been playing over their heads. But one thing about these Iron Maidens: they are fighters! They just refuse to give up. They refuse to think of themselves as deserving to lose. They just won't give in to anyone!

So watch out, Maryland! These ladies won't give up a game to anyone!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

No, they have not been as sharp as Geno would like, but that dos not mean they are "ripe for a loss" as you suggest. UConn is playing at a phenomenal level and pace now. Yes, they stumbled out of the gate against Florida State, but have since righted the ship, found their sea legs, and are steering a straight and narrow course, full steam ahead. None of their subsequent games have been close.

Two thoughts here:
1. UConn has turned out to be much better that they were perceived to be over the summer. They have gotten better, stronger and more confident with each passing game. They were underrated.
2. On the other side of the coin, some of the top ranked programs were overrated coming into the season as well.

Of the current top 20 teams in D-1 WCBB, only five teams remain undefeated: UConn, Maryland, Miss St, West Virginia, and Colorado. Some of the them lost to unranked opponents. Before you get excited about the other undefeated teams, look at who they played first. How many of their victories were against ranked opponents? How many of the teams they played were their equals in talent, size and experience? How many of their wins were against soft cupcakes? Check it out first.

I suggest to you that UConn will return to the hardwood ready to pick up where they left off. Geno and his staff will see to that. All of the Christmas libations will have long since been run (sweated) out of their bodies by then. They'll have fresh legs, they'll be focused and ready to play. Remember: "Champions are not born, they're made................................here" ~ Geno Auriemma. :cool:

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Colorado is no longer undefeated. Other than Maryland, the other unbeaten teams have not played a schedule comparable to what Uconn has played. Some people believe that because Maryland played Uconn close last season after losing badly the previous season that they will beat them this season. Well, Texas played Uconn tough last season after being blown out the previous season and people thought Texas would beat Uconn this season. Uconn won going away. If Uconn plays their "A" game I believe they will win. But if not, I'll take a win in the NCAA Tournament over a regular season win every time. Ask ND about that.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Colorado is no longer undefeated. Other than Maryland, the other unbeaten teams have not played a schedule comparable to what Uconn has played. Some people believe that because Maryland played Uconn close last season after losing badly the previous season that they will beat them this season. Well, Texas played Uconn tough last season after being blown out the previous season and people thought Texas would beat Uconn this season. Uconn won going away. If Uconn plays their "A" game I believe they will win. But if not, I'll take a win in the NCAA Tournament over a regular season win every time. Ask ND about that.

Mr doowop, you appear to be musically in touch (based on your avatar) with the flavor and vibe of the community. You said: "Some people believe that because Maryland played UConn close last season after losing badly the previous season that they will beat them this season" MY response to that is....................... Don't believe the hype. :cool:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Mr doowop, you appear to be musically in touch (based on your avatar) with the flavor and vibe of the community. You said: "Some people believe that because Maryland played UConn close last season after losing badly the previous season that they will beat them this season" MY response to that is........ Don't believe the hype. :cool:

I don't. By the way, seeing how you mentioned my avatar, one of the guys in my avatar is me. We've been performing since the '50's. I am musically in touch, but not with rap.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't. By the way, seeing how you mentioned my avatar, one of the guys in my avatar is me. We've been performing since the '50's. I am musically in touch, but not with rap.

Ok. I'm of your era. I love most types of music. however I'm not a big fan of rap per se. This video came to mind because of its title. My response to others to not fall prey to the thinking that past occurrences (games) last year, could have any possible affect on what may happen THIS year. I know you realize that these are not the same teams as last year. If the BIG three could play in this game for UConn, then I would categorically guarantee a victory, ala Joe Namath.

By the way, did your group have any hits that charted that the average fan from that era would remember or recognize? What years was your group active?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm happy, but I'm looking for that one game streak in April 2017.
Mmm, can't happen since a one game streak would begin after a loss.

....shutting up now.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Mmm, can't happen since a one game streak would begin after a loss.

....shutting up now.
CL82: The thread was highlighting the seven-game "string" in December. The originator did not use the word winning, and neither did I. There can only be a one-game "streak" next April, since all previous games (for everyone) will be completed by March 31. There was no mention by the originator of what preceded the December string, nor of what might succeed it. The focus was on December only, and mine is April.

If your remaining quibble is with the use of "streak" versus "string," please quibble away.

I'll
upload_2016-12-23_14-9-24.png
as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CL82: The thread was highlighting the seven-game "string" in December. The originator did not use the word winning, and neither did I. There can only be a one-game "streak" next April, since all previous games (for everyone) will be completed by March 31. There was no mention by the originator of what preceded the December string, nor of what might succeed it. The focus was on December only, and mine is April.

If your remaining quibble is with the use of "streak" versus "string," please quibble away.

I'll
View attachment 17908 as well.
So you are suggesting that you are rooting for a one game losing streak in April? Mmm, that would be a hanging offense on the men's board.

No worries, I think everyone got your intended meaning.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
So you are suggesting that you are rooting for a one game losing streak in April? Mmm, that would be a hanging offense on the men's board.

No worries, I think everyone got your intended meaning.
upload_2016-12-23_15-29-55.png

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Ok. I'm of your era. I love most types of music. however I'm not a big fan of rap per se. This video came to mind because of its title. My response to others to not fall prey to the thinking that past occurrences (games) last year, could have any possible affect on what may happen THIS year. I know you realize that these are not the same teams as last year. If the BIG three could play in this game for UConn, then I would categorically guarantee a victory, ala Joe Namath.

By the way, did your group have any hits that charted that the average fan from that era would remember or recognize? What years was your group active?
We did not record. Talent from St. Louis (Chuck Berry, Tina Turner, Donnie Hathaway, Grace Bumbrey, Dick Gregory, etc.) had to leave the city in order to prosper musically. There was not and is not a successful recording company in the Midwest. We are still active today performing music from the 40's through the 80's. (Doo Wop, Soul, Pop, and Blues) Have appeared on shows with Jackie Wilson, The Miracles, Barret Strong, and Hank Ballard. We perform only locally now._______ I'm starting to believe Uconn WILL beat Maryland. Maryland has not played THIS team. I think they will be surprised at how quick Uconn is.

Reaction Score
New Haven Register's Jim Fuller puts these Seven Games in December in context:
UConn women’s basketball team looking to complete perfection in 2016

"So just how challenging has the schedule been in December? this is just the 10th time in program history that the Huskies have played six ranked teams in a month and seven of those occurrences have come in March when playing a string of ranked opponents deep in the NCAA tournament is standard operating procedure. The only other times UConn has had six games against teams ranked in the Associated Press poll came in February, 2007 and February, 2011."

So only twice before in the history of UConn women's basketball has the Connecticut team played as many top teams in one month as they have this month, except for the NCAA tournament.

Not sure how highly ranked those teams were back in 2007 and 2011, or how well UConn faired against them. Have to look that one up....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
lawd where are the mojo gods!
I can only hope that that the Mojo gods were properly appeased by this post in a different thread.

Not even close. UCONN after Christmas??, away??? UCONN finally gets that @ss kicking Geno's been talking about.
Turtles in a laugher, 87-61.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog