Seton Hall is almost the perfect team to experiment for Clingan/Sanogo starting lineup | The Boneyard

Seton Hall is almost the perfect team to experiment for Clingan/Sanogo starting lineup

Reaction Score
Title says it. Seton Hall is a bad offensive team, but a great defensive team. 31.8% shooting team from 3 with Dawes being the only major threat from 3. Still think that best starting lineup combo right now is:
Andre
Hawk
AK
Adama
Clingan
KC Ndefo/Samuel are a good matchup for Clingan Sanogo on the floor together. Odukale good matchup defensively for karaban. The strategy to beat this seton ball team should be to overwhelm them physically on offense and stay home on defense. 2 adjustments we need to make anyhow. Need to play old school with our personnel, no guards? Overwhelm them with 2 of the best bigs in the country. Overwhelm with size. Be respectable from 3. Run an offense that dares team to load the paint and then find shooters outside. We will hit some shots eventually. Get the easy ones. Rim protector with Sanogo also can hide some of his defensive deficiencies from the 5.

Reaction Score
Preparing myself for Richmond to drop 40 on us. And foul out AJax, Newton and maybe Alleyne while he’s at it.

I kid, I kid…hopefully

Reaction Score
So what I'm reading here is that we'll guard the perimeter hard and leave the paint open?

/s

You can get rid of the /s, because that's probably what we'll end up doing tbh

We should crush Seton Hall. They don't have the talent and they're honestly not very well coached at the moment.
But they are scrappy, and they play very hard. That's how St Johns beat us

I have been pretty anti double big lineup, but might as well use the soft side of our BE schedule to try some new things, because it's clear we need to try some new things right now. Let Sanogo hedge if it means Clingan is in the paint to cover the roll. Or just play drop and make them terrified to come within 15 feet. Or run a 2-3 and encourage threes. Hell, even a 2-1-2 with Clingan in the middle would be fun (maybe not effective, but fun)

Reaction Score
This is the same lineup I’ve advocated for. After appearing very deep, the roster now appears to be these 5 and whatever Samson can bring plus a very weak bench. The issue will be staying out of foul trouble, a seemingly tall order for most of these guys.

Reaction Score
This is the same lineup I’ve advocated for. After appearing very deep, the roster now appears to be these 5 and whatever Samson can bring plus a very weak bench. The issue will be staying out of foul trouble, a seemingly tall order for most of these guys.
Bigger lineup (hopefully) mitigates foul trouble, can play straight up. Need to make the paint a fortress

Reaction Score
With DC in the middle, this team is really made for the zone.

Reaction Score
Or is it? Our guards are the biggest concern. I can't see how we fix it. These guards are who they are. I do believe that we can compete with anyone in the country but for how long during a game. And Hurley has to figure out how to not be out coached by making better adjustments during game time.

I'm probably babbling because I real l y just don't know anymore and miss being excited

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I have been calling for Clingan and Sanogo to be on the court together since I was calling for Whaley and Carlton to be on the court together. Hurley, or more likely, Young and Moore, would need to make some adjustments to the offense and the defense, but this would be a very tough matchup for most teams.

Just because everyone else isn't doing it doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. I think Rodney Dangerfield said it best:

Reaction Score

Agreed.

Reaction Score
Is Samson going to play?

I don't know that we have the depth to play the big lineup a majority of minutes. Playing Karaban+Sanogo+Clingan right now means there are no fresh backups at the 4 OR the 5. We have to slide down guys and keep them in the game when Clingan or whomever goes out. And then next rotation those guys have to come out because they'll have played 12 straight minutes or whatever, so we can only run it 1/3 of the time max..

Which maybe 1/3 of the time is good or fine or better than 0. I can certainly see the argument if our guards are going to continue to play this horribly. The opportunity cost of the bigs playing worse together than individually might still be better than the guards being this bad.

Reaction Score
I’d prefer not to start them together, but we should be attempting to play them together every game unless we get to the point that we prove it doesn’t work. Clingan is obviously one of our top 5 guys so now is the time to find out if them together is our best lineup no matter what, if it works only against certain matchups, or if it just doesn’t really work.

Orc

Reaction Score
Uconn is in a funk right now. Unless something changes I wont be surprised to see Seton Hall wins by 10+

Reaction Score
I’d prefer not to start them together, but we should be attempting to play them together every game unless we get to the point that we prove it doesn’t work. Clingan is obviously one of our top 5 guys so now is the time to find out if them together is our best lineup no matter what, if it works only against certain matchups, or if it just doesn’t really work.
Wouldn't we have tried them together in practice by now and have some idea if it could work?

Reaction Score
I want to believe in Hurley and after yesterday's total debacle, a win over SHU is an absolute must. The coach has to figure this out and fast. Game plan, strategy, motivation, discipline, all the things a great head coach needs to do. What do we need to see Wednesday night in order to believe this team can make a deep run? This is an absolute must win game, but I think we need to see something drastic and a return to dominance.

Wednesday Night
#5 UCONN at #5 SHU - oh boy
#2 PC at #3 Marquette - should be good
#1 Xavier @ #10 DePaul

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wouldn't we have tried them together in practice by now and have some idea if it could work?
If you are going to find out please let us know and while doing so, do they practice FTs at all in practice?
Thanks much in advance CFFAN

Reaction Score
If you are going to find out please let us know and while doing so, do they practice FTs at all in practice?
Thanks much in advance CFFAN

Yea the FTs are the definitely the main problem with the team

2023-01-16 14_59_21-NCAA Team Stats - RealGM.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24