Seth Greenburg's at Practice Today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seth Greenburg's at Practice Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A point of emphasis should be when a big man runs up along side the guard essentially providing a moving screen the whole way up the court. That really bugs me.

Reaction Score
A point of emphasis should be when a big man runs up along side the guard essentially providing a moving screen the whole way up the court. That really bugs me.

Pitt also mastered this

Reaction Score
Seems to me that there's only one ball, so outnumbering the ball must mean double (or more) teaming the man with the ball, and moving the double team when he gives up possession. If he means anything else by it, only Seth would know.

I think "outnumbering the ball" (granted, I've never heard this term before so this is an educated guess) means loading up the strong side defensively. If the ball is on the right wing, for instance, then KO would want probably four defenders on that side of the court and at least four pairs of eyes on the ball. Their appears to be a growing emphasis among coaches on restricting corner three opportunities and forcing the ball to areas of the floor that are less conducive to high percentage shots. It seems to be a philosophy many of the great defensive teams in the NBA like Chicago and San Antonio have adopted in recent years - the goal is to stack the defense with as many layers of help as possible as a way of limiting p&r opportunities. The thinking is that, - and at the college level where offense is less crisp, this may be especially true - the more passes you force an offense into making (especially from side to side, passes that are notoriously more likely to be intercepted), the smaller their margin of error.

It' something I noticed this summer when I was watching tape from last season. UConn rarely doubled the ball, but on post ups, both of the guard would generally sag into the paint to force the opposing big man into split-second decisions. The general idea is to restrict dribble penetration and post ups and capitalize on the underbelly of most college half court offenses (which is ball movement). I get the feeling schemes like this really provide insight into KO's NBA background. We're very fortunate to have him, because I don't think many coaches get this innovative with their defensive sets.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg@SethOnHoops
Huge emphasis on Loading to the ball and outnumbering the ball as well as communicating & physical block outs Excellent teaching points.

Can anyone explain what 'loading to the ball' and 'outnumbering the ball' means? I am not familiar with those terms.[/quote]

I'm not positive but I think those were both prison terms used in Episode 7, Season 2 of The Wire.

Reaction Score
no Louisville is even worse because not only do they handcheck in the halfcourt but they use their hands in the press, its not easy beating a press with multiple defenders putting their hands on you. Jay Bilas lost his mind during the BET final, and rightfully so, when MCW got called for a tech when he elbowed Luke Hancock in his grill for trying to clear space after Hancock literally had 2 hands on both sides of MCW's upper body to limit his movement. You should not be allowed to play D like that on any level yet that is how Pitino's Louisville teams have played for awhile.

You are correct. And when I heard earlier this year that Pitino "looks forward" and "welcomes" the new rule, the hypocrisy meter hit the stratosphere.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Good grief, they paid good money to send him to our practice, put him up in a hotel, feed him for a piece any one of us could have written sitting on the throne in our bathrooms for someone a lot better looking to deliver on ESPN.

That video was recorded before he came to practice. Would've made more sense to wait until after he saw us in person.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
The new rules are going to benefit quick guards with an exceptional handle. It will also benefit deep teams who can absorb foul trouble and aren't reliant on one player to lead the team n scoring every night. Teams like VCU, Louisville, and Missouri May suffer as they rely on an agressive defense to set up a good portion of their offense.

caw

Reaction Score
The new rules are going to benefit quick guards with an exceptional handle. It will also benefit deep teams who can absorb foul trouble and aren't reliant on one player to lead the team n scoring every night. Teams like VCU, Louisville, and Missouri May suffer as they rely on an agressive defense to set up a good portion of their offense.

UL at least is also very deep at guard that may offset it. Plus they are quick.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've always wonder why we don't just have a guy stand in front of the 'blocker to force him to go left or right so that the our guard can pressure the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom