Seth Davis Jigsaw Man fixes 12 teams | The Boneyard

Seth Davis Jigsaw Man fixes 12 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He does this article periodically where he fixes good teams' weaknesses by adding one current player that would make them a lot better.

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...g-pieces-arizona-michigan-notre-dame-Syracuse

Connecticut

Biggest problem: When it comes to these Huskies, the Jigsaw Man is puzzled. How is it that a team with all this perimeter pop is ranked 296th nationally in free throw rate? Why are these swarming athletes ranked 212th in defensive steal percentage?

UConn is a good shooting team, and it has the nation’s top shot-blockers (in block percentage) in Amida Brimah. Yet, when this team needs a key basket or free throw, it has come up a little short. The Jigsaw Man believes (and he senses that coach Kevin Ollie does, too) that Sterling Gibbs is miscast as a fulltime point guard. Sure, Gibbs has some point guard skills, but he is at his most effective when he is off the ball, which has the added benefit of saving his legs. Freshman Jalen Adams has provided a respite at times, but not enough. This team needs a genuine pass-first quarterback who can relieve Gibbs’ strain and spark the perimeter D.

Missing piece: Jabril Durham, 6'1" senior guard, Arkansas

The Jigsaw Man believes it’s a shame that Durham is spending his final season on a mediocre team. The Razorbacks lost at home to Mercer on Saturday to fall to 5–5. They don’t appear to be headed for the NCAA tournament.

And still, Durham is racking up some incredible non-scoring numbers. He is dishing 7.8 assists per game, which is fourth in the country. He also leads the SEC in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.55) and ranks second in steals (2.20). Gibbs and Rodney Purvis don’t have to worry about him taking away their shots, as Durham has only made five three-pointers all season (on 22 attempts). Durham can tutor Adams and show him how to run a team at this level. The Jigsaw Man appreciates teamwork even more than talent. Durham will bring both to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Seth is sorta blaming Sterling for our problems. Seems in line with some of the posters on this site. Of course Sterling is not 100% to blame for bad defense. That said, Sterling hasn't exactly helped on D either. I might even say Sterling has played better offense than defense. It's a toss up.

Reaction Score
I for one (and I think many others on here) have been extremely disappointed in how little we are running (we are averaging 5.6 steals/game which is T237 in country and forcing 12.4 TOs game which is T239 in country) despite being 16th in country in blocks/game at 6.2. Does this fall solely on SG? Of course not but I think the comment from Seth is from somebody (like us) who watches this team and just expects more...so the point gets most of the blame fair or not.

Reaction Score
In the first few games we were more aggressive but were fouling at an incredible rate. We simply were not ready for the new rules and didn't understand how to play defense without fouling.

Now, we are have cut down on the ticky-tack fouls but have no idea how to play defense.

We need to find a balance. Yeah, I know that SD was talking about offense but that's not really our problem, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom